Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-05 11:40:27

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Exercise and Recreational Activity

Sometimes one can be the other! But I'm exercise-averse so I have to couch it in some marginally more enjoyable activity.

I got into Pokemon Go a little while back and started bicycling between gyms and Pokestops (which isn't really the most efficient way to play PokeGo, but that's another topic), and eventually I started to get back into cycling for its own sake after having not done it regularly for around two years. I intend to stick to it this time as I dropped an not-inconsiderable amount on a new Giant Roam 3 hybrid bike and I hope it translates into steady weight loss.

I still kind of want to try a lighter-weight hybrid or even road bike (the Giant has quality-of-life features like front fork suspension and disc brakes, but it weights ~30 lbs.), but I'll see what appears around the holiday sales.

#2 2019-09-05 12:55:59

DancesWithAwoos
☆*:. o(≧▽≦)o .:*☆

Re: Exercise and Recreational Activity

Keep an eye on those Cannondales at REI. They've been going on sale and seem pretty top notch.

I rode a Trek FX for years before my brother took it. Which I'm totally not salty about. Nope. Not at all. Zero salt here. But the "hybrid" form factor made for a great commuter and all around fun but comfortable weekend warrior bike. I put quite a few thousand miles on it, high-sided twice and low-sided three times. It put up with more than it should have, and my brother still took it. If I still had possession of it, it would probably be the bike I choose to ride most of the time.

Otherwise, my choice of bikes right now is essentially between my dad's K2 "road bike" or walking. The K2... ah jeez... it has the absolute worst saddle; 30 miles would really be pushing it before you're laying at the side of the road screaming because of how sore your butt is. The front derailleur is toast after my dad high-sided it once (and is also why he doesn't ride it anymore...) There's absolutely no forgiveness in the front fork and every shock goes right up through my arms... et cetera.

I've been looking at a couple bikes though but, yeah, am also just kinda waiting for sales and waiting to be decisive for the first time in my life. I've been looking at steel frames to hopefully give a little more flex, comfort and longevity (as this bike would be a commuter). I'm in the dilemma of how aggressive I want the frame to be. Do I want the bike that's going to be the more ergonomically pleasant coffee-shop rider (which might as well be aluminum), or do I want the bike that go up the gravelly/dirt hills that I want to ride every so often? So I'm thinking if I get a steel frame, I can have a comfy ride to coffee shops on a more aggressive bike.

I also suggest looking at RideWithGPS (or Strava), finding something that looks fun and that's in your general area, and just *doing it*.

Last edited by DancesWithAwoos (2019-09-05 13:02:27)

Because I am just too fabulous

#3 2019-09-05 13:32:44

Iffy
Wind Walker
Website

I used to be heavily into running, but unfortunately I've had to shelve that due to nerve/plantar issues on the bottom of my right foot and some growing knee problems. I never hit my goal of running a marathon, but I've done two half-marathons and multiple 5Ks and 10Ks so I'm happy with that.

My workout routine these days revolves around walking, hiking, my rowing machine, and my stationary bike. I'm mainly looking to keep my cardio at a high level while staying trim and somewhat toned, and I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. I bought a new Schwinn hybrid bike last year and that's been fun, I want to start taking that to the local parks more.

#4 2019-09-05 13:48:56

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

DancesWithAwoos wrote:

Keep an eye on those Cannondales at REI. They've been going on sale and seem pretty top notch.

If they do in-store fitting and assembly, it might be worth making the 80 mile trip to my closest one rather than having something shipped to my house and poorly setting it up myself, lol.

I've heard good things about the Trek FX line. I've been enjoying KevCentral's reviews even though a large chunk of what he covers is Walmart bikes.

Running... maybe some day I'll ease back into it. Baby steps.

#5 2019-09-05 16:04:20

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I try to wake up, take the elevator to the gym downstairs, do several sets with the fifteen pound hand weights, then walk up the 27 floors to my apartment. Takes about fifteen minutes, and it fits into my morning routine pretty nicely.

Aerobics makes me feel better for the whole day, I definitely think of that as the most important exercise for me. And I'm doing the weights 'cause I wanna get stronk.

I haven't done it all this week 'cause I had a motivation-draining weekend, and I definitely feel noticeably worse x/

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#6 2019-09-05 16:41:30

Sayara
SAYARA VS SAYARA
Website

I do alot of frantic walking at work, between that and pumping frieght onto shelves is the extent of my physical activities i do frequently. I like to do play that dancing rhythmn game too but never get the chance to go to it. If you dont do the bullshit hard stuff its good stamina and leg workouts...

I oughta do some real excercise though. Sometime.

As we melt together, we’re sure to see eternity

#7 2019-09-05 20:57:01

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Sayara wrote:

I do alot of frantic walking at work, between that and pumping frieght onto shelves is the extent of my physical activities i do frequently. I like to do play that dancing rhythmn game too but never get the chance to go to it. If you dont do the bullshit hard stuff its good stamina and leg workouts...

I oughta do some real excercise though. Sometime.

They did physicals at my old job and when I first started I weighed in at like 188 lbs., however the job was a lot of walking (sometimes in areas with no AC in the summer) and supplemented with light gym visits I was able to get that down. Since I left that job much of my physical activity fell by the wayside, I'm trying to fix that.

#8 2019-09-11 18:01:36

Wetstew

I really need to get back in the swing of working out every day.

When Splatoon 2 would come out, I would play a game online, then between matches lift 15lbs handweights until the name game started.

The cute guy at work is constantly joking about me carrying him, and I wanna be able to do it.  He's only 160lbs.

I don't know if I should get a set of 10lbs weights to do longer sessions, or up to 20lbs and push myself.

Last edited by Wetstew (2019-09-11 18:03:13)

#9 2019-09-14 08:38:30

Zeloz (Mark II)
Retired Ume Detective
Website

Daily exercise never seems to stick with me for more than a month unless its tied to, like, my job or something compulsory, so I'm really just focusing on smaller changes to my day-to-day activities. So, like, instead of sitting at my desk at work, I'll stand (on my tiptoes sometimes, to work the calves or something) and work for most or all of the work day; or I'll just drink coffee and water during lunch instead of having food.

Dunno if that's actually shaving off pounds or anything, but I feel less tired throughout the day at least.

#10 2019-09-14 20:07:39

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Zeloz (Mark II) wrote:

Dunno if that's actually shaving off pounds or anything, but I feel less tired throughout the day at least.

So I kind of got inspired by GCN's videos to incorporate cycling with the goal of weight loss but I feel the principles can apply to any kind of exercise. Thinking of your body as a machine that burns energy and food as the fuel gets you to consider maintaining a Calorie deficit, i.e. burning more than you're taking in. Post-exercise your body is still doing the work of burning calories even when you're at rest, so in the long term it's better to keep your metabolism going by activating this energy burn rather than letting your body stay in conservation mode. I'm not hardcore counting calories by any means but I am trying to think about eating lighter at meals then eating a protein bar just before going on a ride. (also don't forget to hydrate and replenish electrolytes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbHr4DtpdGo

#11 2019-09-21 15:28:14

natedashnite
Some Jerkface
Website

I need to start walking again, lost my belly. Used to do that to hatch some 5k eggs in Pokemon Go. That and tennis.

Switch: SW-6268-69150691
PSN: natedashnite

#12 2019-09-23 19:42:30

DancesWithAwoos
☆*:. o(≧▽≦)o .:*☆

Someone fight me on Strava!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/46221903

I use some of the Strava challenges to stay motivated in cycling. Because why not gamify exercise?

Because I am just too fabulous

#13 2019-09-24 16:20:48

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

DancesWithAwoos wrote:

Someone fight me on Strava!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/46221903

I use some of the Strava challenges to stay motivated in cycling. Because why not gamify exercise?

I followed. I guess I gotta actually get out and do some rides now. ^^;

#14 2019-09-27 11:38:36

Psychic_Heist

I used to be pretty big into power-lifting, but there is a certain one dimensional imbalance in power lifting that doesn’t serve the body well if that’s all you really focus on day in and day out. You should supplement with different types of exercises.

Now a days I’ll work out six days of the week. On these six days I switch up the type of exercise so I never do the same exercises two days in a row.  Formula that works best for me:

2 Days Weights/Kettlebell/Body Weight exercises
2 Days Barefoot Running (had to work slowly into this, and the term barefoot is a little misleading, I run with Vibram 5 fingers)
2 Days Yoga

Only 30-40 minute sessions.

These workouts keep my blues at bay.

#15 2019-10-23 10:47:37

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

I tried going for a run yesterday (as guided by the video below), three minutes of jogging broken up by one minute of walking. My thighs feel like two uncooked hams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35RIKP63vq0

#16 2019-10-25 10:20:44

Psychic_Heist

How’s it been going on the running front? Have you kept it up any? How long are you running for?

#17 2019-10-25 15:29:43

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Psychic_Heist wrote:

How’s it been going on the running front? Have you kept it up any? How long are you running for?

I made my legs sore and I didn't want to overdo it, I've been resting for a few days and I'm going to try to get a longer bike ride in tomorrow, weather permitting. Going to try to ease back into it with 20-30 minute running sessions with frequent breaks.

#18 2019-10-26 14:08:51

Psychic_Heist

Beepner wrote:
Psychic_Heist wrote:

I made my legs sore and I didn't want to overdo it, I've been resting for a few days and I'm going to try to get a longer bike ride in tomorrow, weather permitting. Going to try to ease back into it with 20-30 minute running sessions with frequent breaks.

I don’t know exactly what your goals are and what you’re trying to build to, and lord knows I’m just another asshole on the internet, but what has really helped me if I haven’t done any cardio in a while is I get back into it stupidly slow.  I’ll run/jog for say 7 minutes, just when I feel myself breaking a sweat, and then completely stop. I will do that for a couple days then add thirty seconds, so that run/jog time for a couple days, then add another thirty seconds, etc... I want to leave the workout like I can do a whole lot more, but the important thing is not to. Conditioning the body so to speak, and letting it catch up.

Once I’ve reached  15 minutes, I’ll start putting a couple days of rest in between running, then add one minute each new time to say, a goal of thirty, then see evaluate what the new goals are, but more in importantly, I will be in better shape to run a quicker 5k.

Of course, sounds like your focused more into biking, which I know nothing about when it comes to fitness.  But if you’re trying to supplement your biking by running and not killing your legs, try going really freaking slow.

#19 2019-10-26 14:20:22

Psychic_Heist

Also! Make the investment on good running shoes! (Or if you’re feeling really adventurous and want a new challenge, look into Vibram 5s for barefoot running:  You absolutely need to start out slow if you choose to go that route, because people have fucked up their shins going hard the first time they run in Vibrams, but since you’re flirting with running and want to baby step into it, these would be a good time to start)

Board footer