Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-15 13:55:50

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

God is in the Podcast Episode II: Smells Like Children

https://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/socksca … php?a=mm02

mm02.png
Download Episode

Just Polly and Taylor this time, but today we're covering what may be one of the most bizarre breakthrough albums ever!

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#2 2019-09-15 17:26:19

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Re: God is in the Podcast Episode II: Smells Like Children

Sounds like you two are pretty down on this record, but I think it's quite... dope.

(the version I downloaded years back had the "Abuse" tracks included, I didn't know that particular tidbit about their removal)

Twitter: Beepner | Switch: SW-2320-6114-8445 | Pokémon GO: 5128 3209 0512

#3 2019-09-15 19:26:04

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Yeah, I have a copy of the original promo "Abuse" version that was passed along to me by a shop owner yeeeears ago.  I'm not gonna vouch that it's an original, as I'm pretty sure it's bootlegged.  I think that only like 300-500 of those got out before corrected version of the album had shipped.

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#4 2019-09-15 22:12:00

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

This was a great listen, thanks! EXCITED FOR WHAT'S NEXT--

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#5 2019-09-28 14:31:04

Psychic_Heist

If I were to describe this album in one word I’d say …

“Drugs.”

“Smell’s Like Children” would confirm some preconceived ideas about Manson hadn’t I listened to “Portrait Of An American Family” first.  Such as, we are going to shock for shock’s sake and be a bit full of ourselves.  But before I go on, surly this thing isn’t considered a proper album? I had no idea going in that is a collection of b-sides, covers, and bad remixes. (I forgot that the album remix used to be a bigger thing.  I mean I know remix’s come out all the time, but I’m used to smaller EP releases for a special vinyl and/or digital release these last few years – nothing like a full album worth).

I guess we’re having an inebriated tantrum on ‘Diary Off a Dope Fiend?’ Take the piss out of our own songs with these remixes?  Have unfunny skits like fellow 90’s raps albums of the time? I tend to give albums at least a couple listens before I speak of them, but I think once is enough here.  They’re just fucking around, fine, but time would be better spent somewhere else.

It must be said, the “Sweet Dreams” cover is fantastic.  I wish I could say more about “I Put a Spell On You,” it does seem like that immortal goth classic of yore would be a perfect fit, but I feel like they just end up over doing it here like most of this album.  This whole release ‘smells’ more like a quick cash grab of a raising band, than of any child. If there is some overall merit, at least I don’t know what to expect from here due to the bar dropping.

Now, time to start listening to this episode and find out what you all thought …

#6 2019-09-30 08:41:19

Psychic_Heist

It’s nice to hear that some of my speculation surrounding this release is confirmed less than a few minutes into the podcast when it is mentioned ‘cocaine’ fueled a lot of this album’s decision making.  On the business side, ‘Smells Like Children’ seems like it may have been the most important album to propel the group into stardom. I remember ‘Sweet Dreams’ being a hit, but Platinum status? WOOOW! That floors me.  It might seem I belittled this album by thinking of it as a ‘cash-grab’ but I have some admiration for that level of success.  I suppose it reminds me of a time when the power of one single could sell records, and hopefully I’m not too wrong in saying you just won’t see that these days.

I’d forgotten the whole ‘taking out a rib’ rumor.  I believe I heard that in the fifth grade.  Of course, I didn’t really have any concept on what that really meant – just that it was something that added to the mystique of this scary ‘devil man’ of the time. This reminds me of the other rumor that Brian Warner was that one kid on the Wonder Years.

This podcast made me think I should reconsider a few of the individual songs on this record that didn’t really land for me first listen.  I might. But I’ve just begun ‘Antichrist Superstar’ and it has my attention.

#7 2019-09-30 09:16:56

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I mentioned listening to Marilyn Manson at work and a coworker immediately (facetiously) piped up with "y'know he got a rib taken out so he could suck his own dick", it's definitely a big part of the mythos!

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#8 2019-09-30 09:35:48

Psychic_Heist

Blows my mind what gets rooted in the collective conscience.

Board footer