Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-10 00:33:35

Pat Fork
local eccentric

BOOM SELECTA [currently listening megathread]

#2 2019-09-10 10:37:32

lieronet
Plays boring games

Re: BOOM SELECTA [currently listening megathread]

Been listening to Kind of Blue off and on for the last year or so. It's sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ5uo9_OijY

#3 2019-09-15 20:41:21

Pat Fork
local eccentric

I don't know how it happened, but at some point I started really liking country :I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBfJrR0q-k

#4 2019-09-15 22:43:32

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Digging into the new Chelsea Wolfe acoustic record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwcIKflLf4U

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#5 2019-09-16 00:00:32

Pat Fork
local eccentric

Polly wrote:

Very nice O_O

I've never heard of her, but you've aroused my interest!

#6 2019-09-16 00:51:13

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Pat Fork wrote:
Polly wrote:

Very nice O_O

I've never heard of her, but you've aroused my interest!

She has a HIGHLY suggestible discography with my absolute favorites being Abyss and Hiss Spun.

#7 2019-09-17 01:35:40

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Also REALLY digging the new JPEGMAFIA album.  Veteran was a great piece of work, but All My Heroes Are Cornballs feels like the full picture Veteran was only hinting at. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjd5fSPjZLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0MIj_EcQiM

#8 2019-09-18 09:19:41

lieronet
Plays boring games

Cuphead OST is pretty swell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edpbsFvypK0

#9 2019-09-21 06:56:18

Psychic_Heist

I am a very long time visitor/fan of the site.

I am very long time listener of the Sockscast.

And so it must say something about myself -- that when I finally have the courage to make my very first post on these newly resurrected forums -- Forums curated by beings I admire.  Forums that spawned from a site the mostly dabbles in video games -- I’d choose to make an entrance on the forum whose wheel house is good ol’ tunes.

You see, Polly seems to think no one cares about the big ol’ boring music segment on the Sockscast, but Polly be wrong (did I just say that!?!?).  There is one stranded soul who does enjoy those music segments when they’re addressed, and it is I.  Maybe it was the talk on Radiohead (btw, I’m gonna see Thom Yorke soon, HOLY FUCK! (Did you listen to ANIMA? (Did you like ANIMA? I dug the hell out of it )))  Maybe it was the discussions on Death Grips?  Maybe it was convincing me to check out Metallica’s ‘Hardwired … To Self-Destruct’ because of mother fucking ‘Spit Out the Bone’! Maybe it’s due to finally giving Coheed and Cambria a chance, and that they slowly became one of my favorite acts to follow

While I think of music as my number uno hobby, I don’t feel like or dare claim to be some music guru.  I’m just constantly learning and discovering why I like something, and why something just doesn’t resonate with me.  I’ve been wanting to seek out a place to share my music interests and to hear form others, and I hope that it is acceptable to do so here, despite how shitty my music tastes are bound to be.

So on to the tunes …

Slipknot ‘We Are Not Your Kind’ – I have never listened to a Slipknot record, so I feel very self-conscious in that this may sound like an insult, and I REALLY don’t mean it to – but when I started listening to this album, I suddenly felt 14 again.  In my head, this has merit.  I wanted to love this record, and though that didn’t happen, the songwriting, and production is quite sharp from a band who know exactly what they want to be, and have executed that process masterfully.

Tool ‘Fear Inoculum’ – There are some powerful and great moments to behold on this album.  But as a whole, I can’t shake the feeling that something about it makes the whole experience feel like it’s holding its punches.

Sleater-Kinney ‘The Center Won’t Hold’ – and neither will my attention.

Jenny Hval ‘The Practice of Love’ – This was one of my highly anticipated albums for this year, as I loved Jenny’s moody, gothy, British Synth ‘Blood Bitch.’  I’ve only listened to this a couple of times, but I am not disappointed.  It’s a healthy continuation of ‘Blood Bitch,’ that makes me feel mystical, pagan, and unsettled (it that good disturbing way).

https://youtu.be/wACSfREgJys

Charlie XCX ‘Charli’ – Preface:  Charlie XCX’s ‘Pop 2’ is one of my favorite Pop albums of the decade.  Like Hval’s record mentioned above, I was also highly anticipating this one.  But unlike ‘The Practice of Love,’ I am a little disappointed.  Maybe a few more plays will change this opinion, but the songs here feel a little more straight forward in production, and less ‘wrecked,’ ‘naughty,’ and ‘strange’ as ‘Pop 2’ could be.  Individually the songs are there, but as a whole together, I’m having trouble discerning them halfway through.  I will probably revisit this in a later post.

JPEGMAFIA ‘All My Heroes Are Cornballs’ – I admired ‘Veteran’ from a distance, but had trouble fully embracing it.  For some reason, as this may be the more difficult album, I am not having that issue here.  This is getting into album of the year territory.

Phew, for a minute there I lost myself, as I’ve become someone that gets started and won’t shut the fuck up.  I’m excited to be here. And I am looking forward to conversing with you all, and discovering the good stuff.

#10 2019-09-21 12:05:49

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Yoooo, welcome to the forums and that's quite a grand post to make an entrance with!  I'm happy that the music portions of the Sockscast have been beneficial to someone.  Music is something I obviously do love talking about given it's such a huge part of my life, and I really enjoy putting the things I enjoy out there and explaining why I appreciate them so much, and I like hearing others do the same so that I can find new and cool things to experience as well. 

I haven't had a chance to check out The Practice of Love yet (still kinda stewing in the new Chelsea Wolfe and JPEG albums), but I do plan to give it a few spins here soon. 

I agree on the Charli XCX album.  It's a polishing up that I'm not sure I was ready for when it comes to what we've heard from her already (and I think it's obvious that my ears tend to favor things that are a bit more chaotic and falling apart at the seams.)  This coincidentally is also something that's kiiiinda holding me back from calling the new Chelsea Wolfe album a masterpiece as I would with both Hiss Spun and Abyss as well.  I like Birth of Violence a whoooole lot, but there's a texture I just prefer hearing her in. 

I think that while JPEGMAFIA's new album may outwardly SEEM more challenging, I think it's actually a lot more accessible because it's a lot more mindful of being tuneful and the song structures, though still pretty banged up and weird at times, are a bit more straightforward.  Some folks are saying he's selling out, but honestly I feel it's his strongest set of songs to date and it's a project that feels super cohesive and engaging to the end. 

That's kinda where my head's at musically other than spinning Antichrist Superstar here and there to prepare for our next Manson podcast episode.  On that note though, thanks for joining up and I hope to see you around more!

#11 2019-09-21 22:28:29

Pat Fork
local eccentric

https://bolzenbeerband.bandcamp.com/track/weed-beer

We like weed and beer my friends ♫
We like weed and beer ♫
Pull a draft of weed and then ♫
Pack a bowl of beer ♫

#12 2019-09-22 05:52:00

Psychic_Heist

I keep forgetting that Chelsea Wolfe has a new album, I'll be downloading this now.  You also remind me that I have quite a lot of catching up to do with Manson.  I have never delved into Manson's discography.

Pat! I'm glad to see Loretta Lynn getting some representation here.  I regret not going to see her perform live here in my town about roughly five years ago. It goes without saying that she is a genuine pioneer and bad ass when it comes to the genre.  You might already be familiar with the 'Cocaine and Rhinestones' country music podcast, but if not, there is a great episode that goes into the controversy of this song when it was released in 1975 and banned from radio.

https://youtu.be/5DcdONaKSQM

#13 2019-09-23 10:48:33

Psychic_Heist

When I heard that Chelsea Wolfe goes acoustic on her recently released ‘Birth of Violence,’ all I could think was ‘is she having some sort of inverse of the Dylan goes electric moment?’  And after my first listen … not really.

I’d say the album is less about the acoustic guitar, and more a showcase of Chelsea’s beautiful vocals in the front and center accompanied by moody synths, strings, and yes, even a tiny bit electric guitar experimentation for atmosphere.  Acoustic guitar is there of course, and prominent on a few of the tracks, but this album isn’t some folky ‘just a person and their guitar in an empty room’ vibe I originally thought it might be before I listened to the thing.

This is an album that still goes big like her previous efforts.  In this case of the albums choice of instrumentation, going big might also be to its detriment.  There’s some messy production choices here and there, where moments feel can feel a little overdone, or under done, or both at the same time.  It doesn’t kill the album, but as you said Polly, prevents an embrace of ‘masterpiece.’  She’s trying new sounds, not necessarily into cleaning them up.

My opinion changes all the time with music, so take everything I say with a grain of salt (cause I do, it’s my curse in life). I think that the album has a strong run until ‘Erde,’ where the idea of that song falls short for me.  After that, the direction of the album is a little bit of a mixed bag, but by the end of it, I’m still rooting for you Chelsea.

‘Be All Things’ has to be the song that does it for me.  Just beautiful.

In other music outings …

Well 2019, you’ve made me fully embrace Lana del Ray.

Fuck.

#14 2019-09-24 13:42:29

lieronet
Plays boring games

I've been banging this drum on Twitter for a minute, but my god is the Dicey Dungeons OST ever good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggYpNCIsj0

#15 2019-10-04 09:29:05

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

The Dicey Dungeons OST is high-key one of the best OST's of the year.  It's really damn good. 

Danny Brown's new album uknowhatimsayin¿ just came out and while it didn't make the IMMEDIATE impression that Atrocity Exhibition did back in 2016, there's an undeniable focus to it.  It's a very sharp and honed 33 minutes of bars, incredible production (Q-TIp was fairly involved with the project), and lots of incredible wordplay.  Can't say how it'll land vs Old and Atrocity Exhibition yet, but it's made a good first showing for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1okqvhq7ZaI

#16 2019-10-05 14:33:31

Psychic_Heist

Polly wrote:

... but it's made a good first showing for me.

I agree!  "Artocity Exhibition" feels like one of those creative peak albums, so I wasn't expecting to much from a follow up, but "uknowwhatimsayin" is pretty strong all together (This impression is after one listen).  This album also seems to be Danny Brown's funniest, and after listening to "Belly of the Beast" there is just something about his brand of drug rap that I don't think anyone else can match.

And is it just me, or did a bunch of albums suddenly drop this Friday?  Glad I have a few hours ahead of me on my drive to see Thom Yorke and to listen to some of this stuff.  It's overcast here, weather is cooling down, and there's some scattered showers.  Seems perfect for the new Nick Cave.

#17 2019-10-05 17:51:06

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Psychic_Heist wrote:

I agree!  "Artocity Exhibition" feels like one of those creative peak albums, so I wasn't expecting to much from a follow up, but "uknowwhatimsayin" is pretty strong all together (This impression is after one listen).  This album also seems to be Danny Brown's funniest, and after listening to "Belly of the Beast" there is just something about his brand of drug rap that I don't think anyone else can match.

I feel like this album is a very intentional swerve for him in a lot of ways.  It's much less steeped in his typical "drug rap" themes this time around and he's focusing a lot more on his unique sense of humor, his delivery is in his lower vocal register, and there's even a good deal of personal reflection on the album.  On top of that, I think he's someone who's VERY proud of his rapping prowess (and in 2019 that's very understandable) and I feel like he really wanted to show that on this album given the inclusion and cosign from Q-Tip's involvement.

#18 2019-10-06 06:05:05

Psychic_Heist

On my drive to the ATL, I started things out with another spin of the new Danny Brown.  My 2nd impression is that it doesn’t have any weak spots.  It’s 33 minute runtime is tight as fuck.  “Savage Nomad” and the final three tracks really jumped out to me this go round, and I feel good to say I think it’s another great album to add in a great year for rap.

Then, I followed it up with Nick Cave and the Bad Seed’s “Ghosteen.” WOW.  It’s a heavy mammoth of a (double) record, and I can see it’s meditative tales not being for everyone, but if you invest and get to the 2nd part of the album – it pays off in it’s beautiful strange ethereal way.  By the end of it, I just wanted to pull over my car and have a good cry I was so moved.

To cap things off, I listened to the new Boris “LOVE & EVOL.”  I enjoyed this too (when I listen to Boris, I think to myself I need to listen to more Boris), as it’s grand and heavy noise accompanied me when the sky turned to night as I drove into the lights of Atlanta.

https://youtu.be/M2_bpF6i8LE

Last edited by Psychic_Heist (2019-10-06 06:40:32)

#19 2019-10-06 17:51:51

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

I'm REEEEEEALLY not feeling the new Boris album and it bums me out :\

#20 2019-10-07 01:12:17

Psychic_Heist

Just got back from the Thom Yorke show.

He closed it with mother fucking “Like Spinning Plates.”

#21 2019-10-09 09:00:17

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

I've had the Boom Boom Satellites on shuffle on Spotify for the past few days. They're a Japanese band that sings (as far as I can tell) exclusively in English and their sound tends to float between 90s British influenced electronic rock and trance music. That's the most sound-bitey description I could come up with, as in some tracks you can hear influence of Linkin Park (Dive For You), Oasis, and even At the Drive-In (Oneness). You may have heard them if you played Ridge Racer V.

Twitter: Beepner | Switch: SW-2320-6114-8445 | Pokémon GO: 5128 3209 0512

#22 2019-10-10 18:53:03

Psychic_Heist

Polly wrote:

I'm REEEEEEALLY not feeling the new Boris album and it bums me out :\

From my perspective, I have a really shallow knowledge of the band -- so it maybe if your well-versed this new album is nothing really new?  That song EVOL did hit me really hard on my car speakers though, just all the excitement and wonder of driving into a big city for someone that lives in a small town.

I started grazing on Boom Boom Satellites and found them pretty fun.  I thought as I listened "I'm gonna run to this."

Also ... I can't wait for the new clipping to drop.

https://youtu.be/s9EsHbqmjN4

#23 2019-10-10 19:36:03

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Psychic_Heist wrote:

From my perspective, I have a really shallow knowledge of the band -- so it maybe if your well-versed this new album is nothing really new?  That song EVOL did hit me really hard on my car speakers though, just all the excitement and wonder of driving into a big city for someone that lives in a small town.

Yeah, I think that's probably got something to do with it.  When I hold it up to their previous work, it's kinda like the new TOOL album for me in that "These are ideas they did better on older records."  But I'm glad you seem to be digging it. :)

Also ... I can't wait for the new clipping to drop.

https://youtu.be/s9EsHbqmjN4

YEEESSSSSS! I'm ready for more clipping in my life.

#24 2019-10-11 01:43:34

Pat Fork
local eccentric

Board footer