Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-27 08:21:01

Zeloz (Mark II)
Retired Ume Detective
Website

Freeware Games for Cool and Attractive People

They say the best things in life are free, and that corporations can go fuck themselves.
Keeping these truisms in mind, what are some nice, freeware games out there that are giving, or have given, you life in these hectic, bastardful times? Preferrably stuff that isn't just free with a paid membership to something, or something that is free for a limited time.

One I haven't played recently, but am looking to revisit here in the future, is Micom Slayer. It's all in Japanese, but the controls and gameplay are super-easy to pick up, and it pays homage to a lot of 80s Japanese PCs and PC games. Highly recommended for fans of this sorta lo-fi asthetic. http://www3.plala.or.jp/tenpulako/game_koubou.html

The developer, Tempura Koubou (Tempura Factory?), has made a few other games based on old Japanese hardware, and those are listed on the same page above. I haven't played any of them yet, but they look interesting!

Micom Slayert

#2 2019-08-27 09:13:50

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Re: Freeware Games for Cool and Attractive People

Yessssss thank you for making the thread I wanted to exist! Micom Slayer looks like a total delight, I'll keep that in mind for when my plate clears up a bit.

I think my favorite free game I've played lately is Mouth Sweet. It's a tense raw horror game about the angst of dealing with an abusive work environment. It's also got a really unique audio-based combat system -- the enemies you fight are all invisible, so you have to aim for them based on sound cues. It's about 30-40 minutes long, I super-recommend giving it a look.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#3 2019-08-27 09:19:46

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

The entirety of the Lonely Wolf Treat series.

John mentioned these on the podcast earlier this year (or was it last year?) and I recently checked them out and was instantly pulled in.  Just really sweet characters in a story that tackles some very interesting and relevant issues about isolation and xenophobia/racism.

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#4 2019-08-27 09:25:01

Ghosty
Spookmaker

I second Lonely Wolf Treat. It's so adorbs, too.

I liked a free visual novel called Perceptions of the Dead. It's just three short stories. You'll beat it in a couple of hours. The sequel isn't free, though. I should get that at some point.

If you like block puzzlers or Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon/Puzzle League specifically check out Panel Attack. It's online. I haven't tested it online yet. I figure Sayara will recommend it if I don't.

Battle for Wesnoth is a cool Turn-Based Tactics game. It's very polished for a free game.

Last edited by Ghosty (2019-08-27 09:49:22)

The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.
The hole is greater than it was a minute ago.
Wait, it's growing! Oh no! Run!!

#5 2019-08-27 20:54:19

jetstorm4
The JRPG Person
Website

Guess I'll post some cool games I've played/tried recently

Subterranean Starfield! This is a pretty fast-paced dungeon crawler but the twist is your party is randomized from a pool of characters and your party members can also be permanently killed! When you go back to the guild you will be assigned a new character!

Numina is a demo but it's a very impressive thing so far. Don't know exactly how far along that will go but I always appreciate these big RPG Maker projects with plenty of effects, even if the game may be finished or not.

Speaking of big RPG Maker projects, Villnoire is an RPG Maker 2003 game that was finally finished this year after the creator has been working on it since 2008. If there's anything that can give you hope. It's that. I think.

"Send in the Clowns"
- Ghaleon

#6 2019-09-11 01:49:46

Wetstew

Passage was one of the first indie games I played back in 2007.  It's a five minute long game and it's something I come back to every once in a while.

The goal is to get as many points as you can in a limited time.

#7 2019-09-11 10:07:24

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Gyahahaha, Passage is a classic. Rohrer has sort of annoyed me ever since though xD I don't pay attention to his work these days, the perspective in stuff like Castle Doctrine was just too ugly for me.

I really loved Hibernator. It's a cute half-hour platformer that feels good, and it's full of some super-lovely level shapes. I had a nice time with it, gave me Ufouria vibes.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#8 2019-09-11 10:17:04

Wetstew

He did the Castle Doctrine?  Oh, oh dear.

Last edited by Wetstew (2019-09-11 10:17:18)

#9 2019-09-16 13:45:47

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I poured three or four hours into this freeware Touhou riff over the weekend. It didn't quite hit all the notes it needed to for me to totally adore it, but it does some cute things with structure and a couple of the action beats made me cackle.

(It's also on Steam.)

-Magus

#10 2019-09-19 11:09:23

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I've been trying to get a hard mode 1cc for this game and it's making me like it less!!!! You don't get bombs back when you die which feels too strict to me, and way too many of the boss patterns are "45 seconds of very intense micro-dodges", there's not enough variation in the pacing/feel.

-Magus

#11 2019-11-07 10:20:59

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

This chip's challenge riff was extremely cute and funny and nice. Takes about twenty minutes to play, I really recommend giving it a look. (It's not tough, don't be afraid if you're not good at sokoban.)

-Magus

Board footer