Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-24 22:35:30

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Sockscast Episode 106

https://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/socksca … hp?a=ep106

ep_106.png
Download Episode

OH NO! The accidental bummer episode where we hate everything, and Rhete's taste in anime is the only thing that can bring it back around!

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#2 2019-11-25 18:43:05

Psychic_Heist

Re: Sockscast Episode 106

I would *love* to see a Mortal Kombat II socks tournament.  I wonder who everybody would main ….

--Polly, it’s good to hear someone voice their love of angsty teen shit done right.  It was in the way that you put it that put my own love for similar material into focus (like where my love for the TV Show ‘Riverdale’ comes from, its trash filled with angsty teenagers, and somehow nails its nearly perfect – well first season anyway).

--John, I usually don’t want to encourage any expression of ‘hate’ on anything these days because I see SO MUCH of it on the Internet these days, but hats off, you *hated* so well (and justifiably) in your discussion of “Suikoden II.”  It was so refreshing to hear your take on a game that I feel like has constantly been force fed to me as some hidden masterpiece throughout the years to where there was a time I tricked myself into thinking it was good because that’s what all these other outlets said (like Kotaku, and various YouTube videos).  From what I can properly remember, the multiple endings never landed as great for me, and I was more disappointed in the endings of the various character story lines I had recruited throughout my journey (all of them) pretty much fall flat or hint to be wrapped up in “Suikoden III” (which I never got to because I believe it’s mostly a new cast all together – dropping everything).

By the way, I didn’t hear you mention it, but if you recruited the main character (McDohl I believe?) from “Suikoden I” into “Suikoden II,” his role in your party pretty much becomes the I WIN BUTTON, making the game even easier.

(By the way, all this Suikoden talk finally gave me the right inspiration to pick my profile pic for these forums. Cheers for that.)

John, you have done as what they call ‘the lord's work’ here – shine a light on a turd of a game.  "Suikoden II" is an emperor wearing no clothes.

(Another to the side, this reveal that “Suikoden II” isn’t cracked up to what it’s supposed to be, makes me wonder about “Skies of Arcadia.”  I have a lot more nostalgia that Skies is a great game, but now I really wonder after one of the Kotaku writers who championed “Suikoden II” has written articles on “Skies of Arcadia” being their favorite.)

I’m glad there was discussion on fighting games, that really gives me life.  I remember being proud I could get to Kintaro in MK II in the arcades back in the day, but I could never best the bastard (and I was also on a strict allowance, and MK II in the arcade DEVOURED quarters).  Really happy to hear mention of Fatal Fury, you’re doing it right in your fighting game education.  Hope you enjoy ‘Mark of the Wolves’ someday.   

--Rhete, your response to ‘Dick Sensei’ … perfect.

#3 2019-11-25 19:20:10

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I looked over at your avatar when you mentioned it and almost did a spit-take, thank you

I've been looking at credits all day and working on a Pat-style dev narrative (that's probably total nonsense) to explain why the suikodens are Like That. The big find: Suikoden II was written, pitched, and created by a computer programmer straight out of college. It was his first script and Suikoden 1 and 2 were his first games. And there wasn't a lot of experienced talent in the rest of the team to make up for it.

Skies of Arcadia's team is full of next-level talent, including a bunch of Panzer Dragoon and Phantasy Star veterans. Suikoden was made by a bunch of floundering kids who didn't know what they were doing (in a storytelling sense). Arcadia's team was coming off a string of masterpieces. That does NOT mean Arcadia's automatically good -- it's just that, if it is a failure, it's a failure in a completely different way.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#4 2019-11-26 06:51:00

Psychic_Heist

John wrote:

Skies of Arcadia's team is full of next-level talent, including a bunch of Panzer Dragoon and Phantasy Star veterans.

“Skies of Arcadia” is more than likely super legit, and I would love to play it again someday *crosses fingers for a re-release. * It is a game I can easily recall, and that is a good sign for its stature, since I only completed it once back around its release.  (My only bone to pick with it was a slow battle system combined with frequent random battles, which didn’t compare well with Grandia II’s snappy system where you could also see encounters.) 

I just think that it is super important to reexamine material that somehow gets labeled as ‘masterpiece’ along their way, enter into the collective consciousness as such, taken at face value.  I enjoy a good cross examination, and you did that wonderfully here, and sometime ago, Polly did this well by revisiting “Silent Hill 2.”

I realize I really want to make “Suikoden VI.” Here’s my pitch:

*A-hem*

In “Suikoden VI: The  Return of the Reoccurring Blood Suck” everybody’s favorite vampire, Neclord, is brought back from the voids of hell by an ancient benevolent being simply known as ‘Konami.’  Konami turns out to be a creator of many universes, but Konami’s soul has been disintegrating slowly over the last one hundred years.  Only a small core of Konami’s soul is intact, having just enough power to summon Neclord from all things Konami has created. 

Konami tasks Neclord with the task to venture out into the many universes of it’s creation and recruit the ‘108 Stars of Choice,’ -- which are really just the good parts of Konami’s soul -- to wage a war against the ‘`108 Stars of Destiny,’ -- which are the evil, cancerous, greedy parts of Konami’s soul leading Konami towards a fate of an empty husk of it’s former self.

As Neclord, the player will be given use of a Suikoden rune that allows travel between these many universes, which as you can easily guess, are the universes of ‘Contra,’ ‘Castlevania,’ ‘Silent Hill,’ ‘Gradius,’ and ‘Metal Gear,’ to name some.  There will be political intrigue for the player as they recruit the Stars, as they will never be quite sure who is ‘Choice’ and who is ‘Destiny,’ until the final climatic battle over Konami’s dying soul ensues.

**Note: Luca Blight will be in the game, and given an actual arc.

(I really need to fire up RPG Maker for this)

#5 2019-11-26 10:20:15

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I would absolutely play a jank-ass twenty minute shitpost game about Neclord and Konami!! I wanna see Neclord walking around RTP sprites while midis play.

I did play about five or six hours of Arcadia ages ago so I get the battle system complaint... I think Grandia II gets so much credit for its good fighting that folks kinda glaze over how it bungles the climax, I remember being pretty unsatisfied with that game's resolution. (Nowhere near as bad as suikoden obv.)

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

Board footer