Help me watch Action Movies!

Your favorite music, movies, TV shows, animu, comic books, and whatever the hell else you can think of.
Koopa-Dude94

Help me watch Action Movies!

Postby Koopa-Dude94 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:57 am

Over the past 11 months (and counting), I've been having a blast playing a game consisting of testosterone and explosions in the form of 80s and 90s action heroes blowing the shit out of terrorists (which is even more fun than it sounds PLAY IT). Only problem is, I've seen almost none of the classic action movies of the good ol' days. I'm hoping to change that.

I just finished watching First Blood. Was damn fun. But now I want to watch more action movies. Like, a lot more. I don't have a clue where to start. So, I'm just going to rattle off some movies, and I'm hoping I can get some input on whether they're worth watching.

Commando - Confession time: Never even seen an Arnie movie. I've been told this is the perfect one to start with.
Die Hard - This seems like a must-watch. How is it? What about the sequels?
Terminator - Sounds like another must-see. Again, not sure about the sequels.
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Seen bits and pieces of it. Should probably watch the whole thing. And the sequels?
The Matrix - Been meaning to watch this one for a long time. Again, however...The sequels any good?
Mad Max - Seems like a lot of post-apocalyptic-themed stuff takes from this movie. Sounds like fun.

I'm also interested in Escape From New York, Evil Dead, Robocop, and Conan the Barbarian.

So, which of these movies should I see? Which ones should I watch first? Which action movies should I see that I haven't listed?
FreezingInferno
A Madman With A Silly Voice

Re: Help me watch Action Movies!

Postby FreezingInferno » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Raiders and Die Hard are two of my favorite action films of all time, so definitely do them first.
Zeloz (aka Bill)
Have you seen these wifeys?

Postby Zeloz (aka Bill) » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Escape from New York is sooo good! Really strong sense of atmosphere in that one. Aliens is also quite good.
Super Nintendo Chronogaming! And Stuff!: Potion Shop 1E
Japanese-learning: KanjiDamage, AJATT
Rainiac
Alleged Brit

Postby Rainiac » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Of your original list I haven't yet watched Commando or Mad Max (I might have seen that second one but I can't remember doing so). As for the others...

Die Hard - Perhaps the best film on this list IMO. Watching Die Hard has become a Christmas tradition in my family but despite it's seasonal flavour it's a great watch at any time of the year. Bruce Willis is an asshole in real life (allegedly, for the benefit of our non-existent team of lawyers) but he usually turns in pretty good performances, and this is no exception. Alan Rickman is immensely good value as villain Hans Gruber too, and the film is extremely quotable
Terminator - It's good, in fact it's really good, and it deservedly made a star out of Arnie, but Terminator 2 is so much better. If you watch this one, do yourself a favour and watch the sequel afterwards (Rise of the Machines is OK & I haven't seen Salvation, but I wouldn't call either of them necessary viewing like T2 is
Raiders of the Lost Ark - I personally prefer Last Crusade but definitely watch Raiders too. Without giving anything away, make sure you're prepared for the ending. It's quite the thing
The Matrix - Groundbreaking at the time, it's since lost some of its initial impact but it's still a great sci-fi action movie with some very original ideas. The same can't be said of its 2 sequels, sadly; they're best avoided, you won't really miss anything
Conan the Barbarian - It's rough, brutal and won't win any awards for being a classic, but that doesn't stop it from being epic. Again, don't bother with the sequel (this is becoming a trend isn't it), but if you're into swords & sorcery you could do far worse than watch this

Out of the films I've listed I'd probably watch Raiders first followed by Conan, but that's entirely up to you. Hope this helped
Vanor Orion

Postby Vanor Orion » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:21 pm

While there's definitely some well known "classic" action films, I think I can direct you to some less well-known films that have some merit to them.

Last Man Standing This is an adaptation of A Fistful of DOOLARS/Yojimbo starring Bruce Willis as a drifting gun for hire in the middle of a shithole town along the Mexican border where two competing gangs have an uneasy truce. Which pretty much ends as soon as Willis shows up and starts laying waste to people while dual-wielding .45 handguns. Christopher Walken is one of the main villains in it (and steals the show), David Patrick Kelly is also there and eats the scenery pretty well. Bruce Dern is great as the sheriff who stopped giving a fuck a long time ago and just stays out of things.

Hardboiled Not sure if you've seen this or not. It's a John Woo film, and fucking amazing. The entire last 40 or so minutes of the film is just a non-stop huge-ass gun battle in the middle of a hospital. It also has a pretty damned good story to it, as well. Speaking of John Woo....

Hard Target I believe this was Woo's first American film. It's still pretty good. Jean Claude Van Damme is good in it, but Lance Henrikson and Arnold Vosloo as the villains steal the damn show as rich bored guys who hunt homeless war vets for cash.

Broken Arrow Another Woo American movie. This one has a renegade Air Force pilot played by John Travolta trying to steal a few nuclear weapons to sell on the blackmarket while his co-pilot (played by Christian Slater) tries to foil him. John Travolta steals the show as the villain.

I Come In Peace/Dark Angel This is an action-science fiction film about an alien that comes to Earth and OD's humans on drugs so it can harvest our endorphins to then turn around and sell as drugs on the black market. A cop played by Dolph Lundgren gets caught up in this along with a by-the-books FBI agent. So I guess it's also a bit of a buddy-cop film. It's actually a pretty solid and entertaining film, and the alien uses some interesting gadgets such a murdering homing disc, a mechanical rope spear, and a modified M950 Calico machine pistol that has several setting, including "spew fiery nuclear armageddon on poor hapless bastards". I think you can find this film in its entirety on Youtube somewhere.

Robocop If you've never seen Robocop watch Robocop (the original one). Robocop 2 is also a good film. Avoid 3 like Alanis Morrisette with laryngitis unless you wanna laugh at the horridness.

Predator 1 and 2 If you've never seen either of those, they're great. 2 might be better than the original. Even Predators is a good film. Avoid AvP like the plague, but the original comics are pretty good.

Split Second An action film with Rutger Hauer playing a hardass future detective who is tracking down a supernatural-ish serial killing monster. It's kind of a horror movie but there's a lot of action elements in it.

Stone Cold This is a pretty good little action film about an FBI agent going undercover to bust a huge biker gang of asshats, headed up Lance Henrikson (who makes a very convincing biker). This is definitely worth a watch.

The Delta Force A THE Chuck Norris film about terrorists hijacking an airliner and the US sending in their best special forces unit (The Delta Force) lead by Lee Marvin and Chuck Norries to rescue them. This film is amazing. CHUCK NORRIS RIDES A MOTORCYCLE THAT HAS MACHINE GUNS ANDS ROCKET AND GRENADE LAUNCHERS MOUNTED ON IT!!! There's nothing more that needs to be said about this film. Watch it ASAP.

Deadly Outlaw Rekka A Takashi Miike film about a gangster who is out to avenge his murdered boss. It has the typical Miike weirdness, but it's definitely got some crazy awesome action moments (and some cringe-inducing moments, too).

Versus Ryuhei Kitamura's first film. It's almost every genre ever rolled up into one, but there's shitload of action in it that culminates in one of the most awesome swordfights ever in the end. Also check out Death Trance which made and stars some of the same people as this film.

Ah shit, who can forget Steven Segal? Today he's a joke, I know, but back in the day he was pretty badass. Under Siege is probably his best film (and definitely one of the best action films ever made), in no small part due to the star-studded cast. Even its sequel is pretty entertaining, if not as good. Out For Justice, Hard to Kill, and Marked For Death are also all worth checking out.

As for the movies you asked, they're all great movies. You might wanna follow up Mad Max with The Road Warrior, as I think that's the best of that "trilogy" of films. You could take or leave Beyond Thunderdome. It's an okay movie. Also Rambo 2 and 3 are both pretty good in their own right. They are a lot less "realistic" but who cares. Rambo 4 is pretty damned good. It is more realistic like the original film, but culminates with an awesome final battle. Then watch Hot Shots: Part Deux just for good measure.
"I'm a sucker for a good bang!" "Whoop-ass completed!" "Can the penal code be applied to demons?"
"So who wants to have their face smashed in?" "Sample my goods!"
Koopa-Dude94

Postby Koopa-Dude94 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:19 pm

I'm wondering if I should see the first Mad Max before I go to see the new one tomorrow.
Crono Maniac
BEWARE: Farts Loudly During Streams

Postby Crono Maniac » Sat May 23, 2015 6:45 am

I don't remember loving the first Mad Max but the Road Warrior is pretty rad. Fury Road is miraculous, I'm dying to go see it again. They're all stand-alone, so you don't have to worry about seeing the first or anything before catching the new one.
Koopa-Dude94

Postby Koopa-Dude94 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:31 am

Saw the new one, and absolutely loved it.
Vanor Orion

Postby Vanor Orion » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Saw Jurassic World yesterday. That wound up being a lot better than I thought it'd be. So I've seen 3 movies in like 2 months, which is more movies I've seen at a theater in the last 2 years.
"I'm a sucker for a good bang!" "Whoop-ass completed!" "Can the penal code be applied to demons?"
"So who wants to have their face smashed in?" "Sample my goods!"
Crono Maniac
BEWARE: Farts Loudly During Streams

Postby Crono Maniac » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:12 am

I don't like to play contrary but WOW I fucking hated Jurassic World xD I thought it was insulting and hateful and gross. This article by a critic I really like is a pretty good summary of me and Anna's feelings leaving the theater.

Return to “Recreational Input”