The SnS October HAUNTED CLUBHOUSE PLAYS SWEET HOME

Or videogames. Whichever's clever. Console war = week ban. No appeals.
FreezingInferno
A Madman With A Silly Voice

The SnS October HAUNTED CLUBHOUSE PLAYS SWEET HOME

Postby FreezingInferno » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:06 am

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo I'M A GHOST!

Okay, we don't need to get that melodramatic. Welcome to another wild and wonderful SnS Plays thread! Here in our little clubhouse we play interesting, oft-obscure games that few other clubhouses will tackle! We've survived SaGa and conquered King Colossus, but now comes the month of October! Halloween! Spooky things! After searching far and wide for a spooky game to play, I finally decided on playing through a seminal Capcom horror classic released for the 8-bit Nintendo! The very thought of this game sends many into a fit of terror and screaming! Yes, it's that horrifying classic this month! Produced by Tokuro Fujiwara, it's the legendary...

GHOSTS 'N GOB-- Wait, no. Y'all would hate me if I did that. Trust me. As much of a GnG booster as I am, I know that none of you would enjoy delving into the depths of arcade action hell with me. Too bad. If only there were something more fitting for this month... like, say, an obscure horror-themed RPG also from Capcom and also having been worked on in some sense by Mr. Fujiwara. I guess such things are far-off dreams or nightmares that lurk in the mind unless you invoke some sort of incantation. Oh wait. We have one of those.

One bout of ritualistic chanting later...

Presenting the SnS October 2015 game! It's Sweet Home! This bad boy isn't quite as obscure as some other things. Well, it's a liminal game. It's obscure in the sense that it never came out over here, but it's also not obscure in that lots of people on the Internet keep saying that it is marvelous and should be played. Capcom eventually got famous for horror on the back of that other game about a spooky haunted house, whatcha call it, Tenant Badness. This here? This is the secret history of that series. A horror RPG in which you explore a spooky haunted house and try not to get horribly killed. Hell, it's even based on a movie! The game came out in December of 1989, whereas the film it's based on came out at the beginning of the year. Mirror images of each other. How powerful. I've not seen the film yet, but one could probably find it if they looked hard enough. I'm saving it until after I finish the game, though.

As for playing the game? It's all in Japanese, unless you use this handy-dandy patch. Which you probably should. Derek Alexander, the Happy Video Game Nerd, also did a video review of this game and praised it for being quite good. I'm not linking that because... well, the less I know about this, the better! Let's all be brave and go into this semi-blind. No spooky old house of skeletons and gross ghosts is gonna give me the spooks! We're the SnS Clubhouse and we're gonna stick together!

So, have at it, kids. Have fun and don't get spooked and let's all talk about how good this is when we get around to it.
jetstorm4

Re: The SnS October HAUNTED CLUBHOUSE PLAYS SWEET HOME

Postby jetstorm4 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:00 am

Clubhouse Spooks! Yep, I'm in, I've been meaning to play this game for a while now.
Zeloz (aka Bill)
Have you seen these wifeys?

Postby Zeloz (aka Bill) » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:16 am

Since I don't currently have the disposable income to play UnderTale, I've been playing a bit of Sweet Home. I'm actually having to grind up a bit before taking on that 3rd fresco, since the room prior to it is crawling with tough zombies that can put party members in Stun. Nasty, nasty status ailment, that.

Now, if I remember correctly, there are two aspects about the game that set this apart from other, more forgiving RPGs of this era:

1) Healing tonics are the only way to heal HP, and there are a finite number of them in the manor, and
2) Party members have no defense rating to raise, meaning enemy damage will always remain constant.

Level ups, to my knowledge, only increase max HP, Pray Points, and Attack. I'm putting this here now just to help prevent potential unwinnable situations. Saving yourself into a no-win situation seems about as plausible in this game as it was in SaGa 1. Be mindful of that!
Super Nintendo Chronogaming! And Stuff!: Potion Shop 1E
Japanese-learning: KanjiDamage, AJATT
Crono Maniac
BEWARE: Farts Loudly During Streams

Postby Crono Maniac » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:00 am

Hey y'all! I'm sorry I haven't taken an interest in Sweet Home yet. Like a lot of people I latched onto Undertale super-hard in October, and it's taken me quite a while to recover. That and some family problems have gotten in the way of me trying things at all outside of my comfort zone. I'm still interested in playing it, and I hope we can all get together and talk about it before too long~
FreezingInferno
A Madman With A Silly Voice

Postby FreezingInferno » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Hey, no problem. I haven't played it either. Like right after I made this thread I got super sick and felt miserable for pretty much the entire month of October, and then November's been all writing; I only had the time to sink into one game this month! And December... well, that's Christmas time so it's also super busy. Oof.

Return to “Interactive Digital Entertainment Software”