Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-08 22:05:29

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Re: HEY YOU! PART TWO! WHATCHA PLAYIN'?

FreezingInferno wrote:

Finished River City Girls yesterday. I quite enjoyed it.

I'mma likely pick that game up at some point.  River City was never really my jam, but I think the sheer style and attitude that game has won me over from the moment I saw it and I think I just have to play it for that reason. xD

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#27 2019-09-09 09:14:33

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

The art is so damn well-done, it's been a blast seeing it plastered all over twitter.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#28 2019-09-09 13:04:58

FreezingInferno
Hard Game Beater
Website

Polly wrote:

I'mma likely pick that game up at some point.  River City was never really my jam, but I think the sheer style and attitude that game has won me over from the moment I saw it and I think I just have to play it for that reason. xD

Yeah, I'm not a superfan of River City or anything, but it's cool girls beating the shit out of everyone in sight with a rad soundtrack. What's not to like?

Okay maybe one boss was a little bullshit but that was still one out of like, the whole game.

#29 2019-09-09 13:22:31

lieronet
Plays boring games

Currently planning to hack my Switch and get it running Android. This lets me use the Steam Link app to stream games to the Switch, which I will probably use to play Bloodstained without all the shit.

Don't buy Bloodstained on the Switch.

#30 2019-09-09 14:40:07

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

lieronet wrote:

Don't buy Bloodstained on the Switch.

BIG oof.  I know that version launched REAL rough, but they've not done anything to fix it like they said they would?

#31 2019-09-09 14:56:24

lieronet
Plays boring games

Still a work in progress, apparently. Kickstarter updates claim that the bulk of the team is working on a "major Switch update", but that's been the line for two months now. I believe them when they say it's coming, but I get the sense that the whole project is horribly mismanaged.

Great game though!

#32 2019-09-09 16:03:55

Carmichael Micaalus
Terrible Fanfic Writer
Website

I've been playing an unhealthy amount of Final Fantasy XIV since Shadowbringers dropped.  I got all the role quests done and was able to do the combined quest (which clears up some of the background story stuff, and possibly leads into bigger things; we'll see).  Also got my crafting and gathering classes maxed out, so I can handle my own materia melding and make shitloads of gil.

Currently plinking away with Machinist (74) to get the second half of the Trust system members to 80.  Other than that, I'm sort of waiting for 5.1.  I would like to get all the Garo stuff before that goes away, but I need about 160K wolf marks for that, and I currently have... 13K.  (I'm also terrible at PvP.)

#33 2019-09-11 01:35:14

Wetstew

I've been bouncing between Modded Minecraft, Pokemon Pearl, and Mario World (Switch).

The Minecraft mod is one made by the lady who runs our server on discord.  It's heavily magic focused, and I've been making paths to everyone and building structures to help beginners.

After playing Eco: Global Survival, which puts a huge emphasis on teamwork and paths, I have a *need* to make paths in Minecraft.

#34 2019-09-19 01:01:52

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

I've been playing the new Kotaru Uhikoshi joint AI: The Somnium Files and oh...my...lord...  I am so happy that Spike Chunsoft got so goddamn behind him on this game.  The presentation is incredible, the writing is such a lovely new tone I've not experienced with his writing, and the story's really starting to pick up now.  It's fun, funny, absurd, dark, and strangely warm for a story with a prime focus on AIs.  Can't wait to see where this one ends up going.

#35 2019-09-21 12:04:35

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I beat Romancing SaGa 2 again and it took seven more years off my life

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#36 2019-09-22 05:36:31

Psychic_Heist

I have started Links Awakening for Switch.

Some backstory …

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (the original), may just be the most important game I ever received one special Christmas morning.  It not only was the first Zelda game I owned, but the first Zelda I also completed.  For a seven-year-old who was already well versed into video game culture, there was nothing else like its combination of story, music, and gameplay that I had experienced at the time.  In fact, even among other games in the Zelda franchise as established and powerful as it stands now, Links Awakening still stands out uniquely (Perhaps Ocarina of Time shares the same shades of melancholy that lingers in Links Awakening, but it doesn’t share its wit and humor).

Funny enough, it being my favorite Zelda game and all, I never really replayed it that much like I would with Link to the Past, or even Twilight Princess (that one big bad Zelda game in the series that cowers away if you barely breathe on it). Now that I have kids of my own, my son who is the same age now as I was when I first played the original, and my daughter, who is starting to get her hands use to a controller, it’s the perfect time to revisit this game in a newly remade form that doesn't require everyone hunching over a 47 × 43 mm screen.

Here are my first impressions …

I love the art direction, but the graphics are just fine.  Some of the game looks a little too bright for my tastes.  The character models themselves are pretty adorable. I dig their miniature porcelain figurine look.

Music is spot on.  Marin singing The Ballad of the Wind Fish unexpectedly hit me like a truck with the feels.

I tend to think of Nintendo games as well polished products, so I am bit mystified at the performance of the game chugging a lot more frequently than expected.  I grew up in age of frame drops, so normally this type of thing doesn’t bother me. It was an issue in Breath of the Wild, but happened infrequently enough, that I could overlook it.  It happens enough in this game that it does sorta bring a wet blanket to the experience.

My kids don’t care about that though.  My son is enthralled as he discovers that 75% of playing Zelda as a young kid is being lost. And my daughter, well, she is too busy murdering, and then getting murdered, by chickens. And she is doing this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Like Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes, it never stops being funny.

#37 2019-09-24 20:00:05

Zeloz (Mark II)
Retired Ume Detective
Website

I finished Link's Awakening DX while everyone else was playing their fancy-ass remake, which I'm determined to not buy because I am an adult with enough credit card debt. That game is still really very good, Koholint Island is still so lovingly and smartly crafted, and there were tears.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Lunar: The Silver Star on Sega CD. I've got gripes about some of the text localization choices Working Designs made, but, like, I get it. They understood their target audience and some of their choices in humor shows it. And, honestly, I'll take the dated references and "everyone's a smartass" dialogue over the stilted and dry writing in Breath of Fire 1.

Oh, and the game plays pretty great, too. I feel like some of this importance on character positioning and getting attacks in on enemies before they attack is something Game Arts might've carried with them when developing the Grandia series, and while it's not as polished here it's still fun to play around with.

#38 2019-09-25 09:31:41

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I'm so happy I jumped back into Alliance Alive, I'm totally vibing with the game now after falling off it a few months ago. Just hit the disc one climax of sorts, extremely excited to see where it's goin' next.

-Magus

#39 2019-09-25 16:13:33

DoorCurtain

After finishing up with Untitled Goose Game, I'm messing around with the Dragon Quest XI S demo before the game proper drops this Friday. I haven't had much time to do so, however, as school and household obligations keep tiring me out too much to play games so I watch YouTube when that happens.

It's ironic since Dragon Quest is a great game to play right before going to sleep, but the past couple of nights I couldn't do that since some classmates contacted me to help them with their homework. Maybe I'll find some time tonight.

"At some point, the world was destroyed. Naturally, it was humans who destroyed it.

Everyone had an inkling that it would happen at some point. And then it really did happen. And so, the world is no more." - Leder (Mother 3)

#40 2019-09-25 19:46:58

FreezingInferno
Hard Game Beater
Website

I played the Link's Awakening remake last weekend, but if you want more detail on that then Polly was kind enough to have me on the last Sockscast for a bit to chat all about it. As for the here and now, a pal gave me a recommendation and I finally grabbed it: a lil Switch indie called Sayonara Wild Hearts. It's a stylized fast-paced hybrid of like, a rhythm game and something akin to the Battletoads Turbo Tunnel; moving very very fast and dodging obstacles on a bike while collecting stuff and doing... rhythm-y things. Its presentation and music are on fucking point and giving me a lot of good resonant feelings. If you want an inkling/example, I posted a little Twitter video. Regardless, I'm having a blast with it so far, I hope it keeps it up, and wow y'all shouldn't sleep on this if you've got the means to play it.

#41 2019-09-29 22:43:01

Rhete
Administrator

After beating the game no one has ever finished, Xenoblade, I went and did the silliest thing possible, I started Xenoblade 2.  Hopefully this one won't take me 4 years to finish.

#42 2019-09-30 07:22:50

Iffy
Wind Walker
Website

Finished my PS4 replays of Trails of Cold Steel I and II, so I'm finally ready for III next month! I really wanted my relationship stuff to transfer over and it was a good way to refresh myself on the story in the meantime.

Otherwise, still playing FFXIV (working on leveling Machinist and Samurai) and I'm debating kicking up another replay of Seiken Densetsu 3 or going through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna before Cold Steel III hits.

#43 2019-09-30 11:34:45

lieronet
Plays boring games

Taking a break from thinky games to play some DOOM (2016), and I'm going to bast everyone with some stale-ass 2016 takes.

Game's still fun as hell, but I'm not as big on all the progression mechanics as I was the first time around. I think there's room for some amount of it in the game, unlocking a new weapon upgrade feels great, but they really went overboard. Weapons have two mods each to unlock, each mod has four perks to unlock, you have five perk progressions for the suit, and you can get 12 runes which all have upgrades as well. It's too much! I think cutting/cutting back on weapon mod perks, plus scrapping the suit perks and rolling them into hell runes (which shouldn't have upgrades) would have gone a long way towards keeping the game focused on what it's good at.

That's to say nothing of secret hunting, which usually has 2-3 currency points gated behind it per level. Because they tie it directly to progression, I always feel obligated to find them all, and it's a chore. I'm running through the game this time with a guide, and it still sucks. Secrets on their own are fine - the action needs to be broken up, and exploring for stuff is a good way to do it. They even do cool stuff like give you guns early, which I really like! Putting points behind it, though, makes it feel like an obligation, and it really kills the pacing.

Hopefully the sequel fixes this stuff, because shooting demons is still super, super fun.

#44 2019-09-30 13:37:54

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

I didn't like the way the combat in RAGE and what I played of the Quake 4 demo felt (movement is chunky, weapons don't feel like they have punch, enemies have to show off a dozen hit animations before they go down) and the rest of the game seemed like a less-good Borderlands with creepy uncanny valley NPCs, so I'm happy to hear people gibing with the combat in DOOM... but man, I just did not care for how it would lock me in a room until I killed a dozen imps to progress when I played the demo. Hearing about how it gates weapon progression and the obtuse secret hunting makes me feel like I'm better off having skipped it.

#45 2019-09-30 13:46:48

Psychic_Heist

I owned the 2016 DOOM and played it for a glorious whole 15 minutes (seriously, I had a blast). For some reason I had to put it down and go do a chore or something, and I never felt the drive to pick it up again.

#46 2019-09-30 13:48:25

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I bounced hard off DOOM '16 after three chapters because of the locked-in arenas and monotony, yeah

-Magus

#47 2019-09-30 14:26:26

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

lieronet wrote:

Hopefully the sequel fixes this stuff, because shooting demons is still super, super fun.

I think Eternal is likely to double down on stuff like the progression mechanics because "that's just what games have to have nowadays," which only pushes me farther away from this particular reboot.

#48 2019-09-30 14:53:51

DoorCurtain

Rhete wrote:

After beating the game no one has ever finished, Xenoblade, I went and did the silliest thing possible, I started Xenoblade 2.  Hopefully this one won't take me 4 years to finish.

I know this is a joke, but I somehow managed to beat Xenoblade 1 twice. Once where I avoided most sidequests and just explored / progressed the story, and once where I tried to do everything there was to do in the game besides the fights with the over level 99 monsters.

I couldn't enjoy it either time. Makes me sad but it looks like the Xenoblade games are a series I won't be able to join others in the fun with.

"At some point, the world was destroyed. Naturally, it was humans who destroyed it.

Everyone had an inkling that it would happen at some point. And then it really did happen. And so, the world is no more." - Leder (Mother 3)

#49 2019-09-30 14:56:53

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Goddamn xD I think you can safely say you gave it a fair shot!

-Magus

#50 2019-10-03 21:24:49

Ghosty
Spookmaker

So I've been playing a game called OneShot the last couple of days...
It tries to do some meta stuff, and it's kind of... Eh... I just can't seem to get into that at all. That said, it does have some good points. It's cute and it's got some nice vibes and characters. It's... Essentially an RPG, minus combat. So think walking around talking to people, exploring, solving puzzles, that sort of thing. The game is short, maybe 6 hours? Don't quote me on that.

But it's just not the game I needed right now. It's got multiple endings and I'm sure I got a bad ending. Well mostly sure? Either way, I don't feel much like playing it again for a while. sad

I thought it might be a Ghosty-game but I'm wondering if it's isn't more of a John-game. I don't know. It gets confusing.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
The hole is greater than it was a minute ago.
Wait, it's growing! Oh no! Run!!

Board footer