Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-10-03 21:59:28

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Re: HEY YOU! PART TWO! WHATCHA PLAYIN'?

I finally finished the single player in Splatoon 2. It's cool that the single player component is as substantial as it is (multiplayer is still very much alive but after the final Splatfest it's probably less populated than before) but if you never quite got the hang of the motion controls, there are some parts that are just going to too frustrating. And the motion controls have never felt... great to me. I tried turning them off but I never could get the aiming to a comfortable level without them. It's a shame too because I dig this franchise's style and the way the community has taken to it. If I do decide to pick of the Octo Expansion it probably won't be for some time, but I might still pop into multiplayer every now and again.

Twitter: Beepner | Switch: SW-2320-6114-8445 | Pokémon GO: 5128 3209 0512

#52 2019-10-04 09:21:13

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Ghosty wrote:

I thought it might be a Ghosty-game but I'm wondering if it's isn't more of a John-game. I don't know. It gets confusing.

OneShot's been on my radar for a while, yeah xD

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#53 2019-10-04 15:38:51

Psychic_Heist

Beepner wrote:

I finally finished the single player in Splatoon 2. It's cool that the single player component is as substantial as it is (multiplayer is still very much alive but after the final Splatfest it's probably less populated than before) but if you never quite got the hang of the motion controls, there are some parts that are just going to too frustrating. And the motion controls have never felt... great to me.

Like 100 years from now, when Nintendo brings the price down, I really want to give Splatoon a fair shot.  Motion controls, coupled with that price, hold me back.

#54 2019-10-04 15:46:04

Psychic_Heist

It's funny what developer is going to sneak up on you and have you indulge in your games, but I've recently been bit by the Rockstar bug.  I'm inspired to write a whole topic on it, but I'll briefly mention I'm giving Red Dead Redemption 2 another chance.  That game is like the equivalent of being gifted a beautiful toy that you aren't allowed to take out of the box.  In opposite of RDR2, I'm playing Grand Theft Auto 3 (on the freakin' phone!) and it's turning out to be a lovely juxtaposition.

#55 2019-10-04 19:44:13

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Psychic_Heist wrote:

Like 100 years from now, when Nintendo brings the price down, I really want to give Splatoon a fair shot.  Motion controls, coupled with that price, hold me back.

Weirdly enough, I found the version with the guidebook for 10 bucks cheaper than the version without. Not that really cared about the guide book, but it's a cute thing to have.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still full price everywhere I've looked.

#56 2019-10-11 18:55:40

Zeloz (Mark II)
Retired Ume Detective
Website

I'm not the biggest fan of sliding tile puzzlers, but CROSSNIQ+'s Endless Mode has consistently proven a fun 5-10 minute diversion for when I can't sleep or a stream hits a lull and I need something else to do. Game's super-fuckin' stylish, too.

#57 2019-10-14 08:53:34

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

crossniq+ is so goddam PRETTY

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#58 2019-10-18 18:56:20

lieronet
Plays boring games

Started playing Darkest Dungeon! I'm officially hooked. I'm always a fan of numbers-heavy, crunchy games, and DD has not disappointed. With 16 classes and seven skills apiece, there's no end to the ways you can build a party. The game's hard enough that there's always the risk of losing dudes, and you need to invest in your heroes to see the game through to the end. The aesthetic sells this tension wonderfully. I can understand the criticism that the game gets repetitive, but I enjoy the moment-to-moment gameplay enough that I think I'm going to be playing this one for a while.

#59 2019-10-29 07:51:52

Iffy
Wind Walker
Website

TRAILS

OF

COLD

STEEL

III

Also FFXIV Patch 5.1 hit today, it's NieR Automata crossover time!

#60 2019-10-30 17:53:33

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Iffy wrote:

TRAILS

OF

COLD

STEEL

III

Only thing I'm really digging into right now.  Chatper 3 and the game hasn't disappointed with where it's going.  The story is unraveling nicely as all of Erebonia is set to be a stage to something magnificent.  I'm happy with everything that's happened so far and am excited as the prospect of the things that are about to go down.

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#61 2019-10-31 13:54:37

Rhete
Administrator

I said no more big long story based games after I finished Xenoblade 2

Then pretty much immediately started AI: The Somnium Files.  It's really good!

#62 2019-10-31 20:42:47

Psychic_Heist

Happy Halloween everybody! I will be rockin’ “Castlevania: Rondo of Blood” tonight!

#63 2019-11-01 12:02:00

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Rondo of Blood is extremely good!!

I also said "I'm not starting anymore long games!!!" after finishing Fata Morgana and then like a week later booted up Suikoden. It's going down really smooth so far, I'm about six hours in... but it also seems kinda dry? In a weird place where I'm enjoying playing it without it really hooking me.

Gonna keep at it, I really enjoyed Alliance Alive and I picked up Suikoden 'cause it shares a head writer. I expect it'll either sneak up on me and I'll ultimately feel good about the game as a whole... or it'll just kinda dribble away without ever picking up. If it's the latter I won't be in any rush to check out the sequel.

-Magus

#64 2019-11-01 12:15:30

Psychic_Heist

John wrote:

... like a week later booted up Suikoden. It's going down really smooth so far, I'm about six hours in... but it also seems kinda dry? In a weird place where I'm enjoying playing it without it really hooking me.

Gonna keep at it, I really enjoyed Alliance Alive and I picked up Suikoden 'cause it shares a head writer. I expect it'll either sneak up on me and I'll ultimately feel good about the game as a whole... or it'll just kinda dribble away without ever picking up. If it's the latter I won't be in any rush to check out the sequel.

It maybe best to view Suikoden as a beginner RPG, as it is a BREEZE.  When I played it, it was during the time where there wasn’t many RPGs on the PlayStation, so there was nothing else quite like it.  There’s a certain feeling of a eastern world influence that give those games an atmosphere that is pretty unique. Well the first two anyway, as I stopped after that.

Suikoden 2 is much more in line with the JRPG epic we are all accustomed to.  I have wondered if it still holds up all these years later.

#65 2019-11-04 10:09:03

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Dang I really mainlined Suikoden, finished the whole thing in like four days! Got 90+ of the 108 recruits too, I had a nice time going around to all the towns at the end and mopping up the recruits that I missed.

I didn't like it!!!!! It kept tricking me into thinking it was gonna get good and then the ending's a big wet fart. The fighting never gets interesting, all the dungeons have the exact same "straight line with very brief tangents for treasure" shape, and the story stays boring and dry the whole time. I thought I had another dungeon/boss gauntlet left when the game suddenly ended, it didn't even occur to me that I could be fighting the final boss while I was fighting it.

I talked to some friends and apparently Suikoden 2 was the game they actually pitched first, and Konami said it was too big and risky. So this was the safe boring game they shat out to get permission to tell the story they actually cared about.

That doesn't make me think 2 is automatically good though; I could honestly see it being worse. Suikoden 1 has a really ugly worldview you only glimpse in brief moments... if 2 is bigger and more bloated and has more melodrama I could see it being legit hateful.

BLEH!!

-Magus

#66 2019-11-04 12:23:16

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

As I recall 2 is more of the same. Except the strategy minigame is less rock paper scissors and more some broken crap that doesn't feel good at all. And there's an Iron Chef parody minigame that I skipped entirely.

The story's supposed to be better but if you didn't care for 1's then I can't imagine you'll latch onto it either.

This series' more vocal fanbase will try to convince you that it's the best thing ever and it was unfairly slept on but the rest of the world has rightly moved on from Suikoden.

#67 2019-11-05 07:50:18

Psychic_Heist

John wrote:

I talked to some friends and apparently Suikoden 2 was the game they actually pitched first, and Konami said it was too big and risky. So this was the safe boring game they shat out to get permission to tell the story they actually cared about.

Beepner wrote:

As I recall 2 is more of the same.

When reflecting on my past Suikoden relationships, I actually have A LOT more nostalgia for Suikoden 1 than 2.  Two reasons: The music in Suikoden 1 is the only strong thing that gives that game any identity.  To this day I will put the Suikoden 1 soundtrack on in the background if I am studying, doing house chores, etc...

The only other great thing is that it has going for it is that it has a Konami Vampire, and that section of the game was the only thing I strongly remember thinking "THIS IS AWESOME" while playing it (probably has to do with Castlevania being my favorite video game series, so Konami Vampires always bring me the hype). 

Now, hopefully not giving too much away here, but Suikoden 2 also has a Konami Vampire, but like Beepner mentioned, it is more of the same and kinda of squandered when you realize it doesn't really move in any substantial direction.   Which if we zoom out of that moment of the game and look at the Suikoden 2 story as a whole, most of the game's story is like that.  Besides reoccurring characters, there are  no real ties to the firsts story.  The story lines to a lot of these characters either don't resolve, or go limp.  And if I recall correctly, they never really go in depth about the the 20 odd something True Rune's either. 

I stopped with the series at Suikoden 2 because when I finished it, I realized, 'oh, they really don't have any 'plan' for a greater overarching story at all.'  Stuff is introduced, then dropped.

Why I believe Suikoden 2's story gets the praise that it does is that it revolves around a central friendship, and that story does have one really good moment, but the overall follow up to that moment never goes for the grand slam I wanted it to.  I've also read praise about one of Suikoden 2's villains, Luca Blight, being the greatest of all time.  I don't know about that -- he's the BAD GUY, that does BAD GUY things,  and the game wants to keep hammering this in -- but there isn't really anything nuanced about his villanary that I look for in my BAD GUYS in his character.

I understand every series has it's fanbase, and I don't want to appear shitting on Suikoden  -- again, there is an atmosphere to those games that is unique -- but Suikoden 2 being hailed as the greatest JRPG of all time has always made me react with a " ... really? "

I haven't played much Fire Emblem in my life, but Fire Emblem does this fantasy-political intrigue story stuff a lot better.  But to be fair, I don't recall a Fire Emblem game being out in the states yet when Suikoden 2 was released -- so that might be where the love is, Suikoden 2 may have been the first type of political fantasy story for people who hadn't really dipped their toes into those stories yet.

#68 2019-11-05 10:29:51

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I kinda had to skim over that because I absolutely did start Suikoden II yesterday and play a big chunk of it. I like it so far! Happy to talk about it in-depth after I finish smile

-Magus

#69 2019-11-10 13:18:31

Ghosty
Spookmaker

So uh... I've just been poking at Nuclear Throne for the last week and change. For those unfamiliar with the title, it's a top-down shooter come Roguelike. It's stupid hard, I can't get past them dumb ice levels. I seem to do best with Eyes and Crystal, though. Robot is great, but somehow I don't do as well with Robot for some reason. There are still lots of characters I still haven't unlocked. I like Eyes a lot, Telekinesis is very useful both for staying alive (like dealing with Big Dog) and for roping mobs into the reach of your melee weapon.

Still trying to figure out what most of the mutations actually do, as the descriptions are usually vague enough that I can't be sure what effect they have.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
The hole is greater than it was a minute ago.
Wait, it's growing! Oh no! Run!!

#70 2019-11-11 10:46:16

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Ghosty wrote:

Still trying to figure out what most of the mutations actually do, as the descriptions are usually vague enough that I can't be sure what effect they have.

Yeah, Nuclear Throne takes the roguelike approach of just letting you figure things out with regards to most powerups and perks xD  It is information that can be easily found online if you want to though, thankfully. 

For my own bit of game playing, I finished Trails of Cold Steel III this past weekend, and story-wise it's pretty much everything I wanted and the ending is the most "Oh you motherfuckers" the series has ever gone, I think.  I think they may be running up against the limitations of their battle system after 8 games at this point though.  There felt like a lot more bosses in this game that really all relied on super buffs + S-Craft phases to destroy the player and near the start and end of the game it just feels a bit too much sometimes.  Otherwise, it's a solid game in a series I'm still in love with.

Of course, now that the "big 3" for me this year are done (Blazing Chrome, AI: The Somnium Files, and Cold Steel III) I'm almost at a loss as to what to do for the rest of the year game-wise.  I am likely to grab Goose game soon, I think though.

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#71 2019-11-11 11:22:03

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Even if they had a few wrinkles at times, I'm really glad all three big games you were lookin' forward to turned out so nicely <3 That's a good feeling.

-Magus

#72 2019-11-11 16:39:49

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

I've been playing Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch. I'll admit I didn't think it looked like a huge workout when the preview videos came out, but most of the exercises are resistance based and they'll kick your butt if you're generally out of shape (like me). I ended up skipping a day this weekend because I was wary of getting too sore.

You progress through a pretty simple RPG and unlock you exercises that target different parts of the body (and thus affect color-coordinated enemies more in the game's combat). You get greater attack/defense as you level, but the game routinely asks you if you want to raise or lower the difficulty, which affects the RPG numbers and the reps you need to do for each exercise. It can be a little overzealous on reminding you to quit and pick it up again tomorrow, but sometimes it's hard to gauge personally just how much more progress I can make in a given session. I'd say just over 20 minutes of "active" time per session is making progress without overdoing it, YMMV.

Also you might want to have a yoga mat handy for any exercises that require being on the floor.

#73 2019-11-13 06:13:09

Psychic_Heist

Beepner wrote:

I've been playing Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch.

Since I'm into matters of fitness, I'm very interested in this, but that price tag!  I'm afraid of dropping the hard earned moo-lah, and then after a few weeks this thing starts to collect dust.  Keep us posted if you've been sticking with it.

#74 2019-11-13 06:51:03

Psychic_Heist

There was some talk about sticking to one game on the recent Sockscast (105) that suddenly made me feel like the worst gamer (then I looked in the mirror and realized that this was true ... and that's ok).  I feel like there is so much I want to invest in, and it's stretching me thin.  I think this is the curse of playing video games as a busy adult when you have the income to afford more games, but not the time to complete them.

Anyways, just an update what I've been into:

Red Dead Redemption 2 -- I hate this game.  I LOVE this game.  There's so much to say in regards to this title that I could easily write a few thousand words about it and I'm still only in Chapter 2.  I'm trying to focus mainly on story missions, but I can easily get side tracked.  I know I won't be completing this any time soon.  This is a game I chill out to (honestly, I think the game forces you to chill out, otherwise it's not a fun time) and think Rockstar is the only gaming company that does big budget open-world games right for my personal taste.

Grand Theft Auto 3 -- My other Rockstar affair, that plays so much more cartoony and loose, and much more of a 'video game' when compared to what they'd do years later with Red Dead 2.  I'm playing this iteration on my phone, so it's a very just pick up and play a mission here and there, no sweat off your back.

ZeroRanger -- I have begun to skim the surface of "ZeroRanger."  I'm enjoying it so far, but oh boy does this game have some grit, I'm having to dust the cobwebs off my shmup reflexes for it.

Diablo II -- (Way before Blizzard went very corporate and made some moronic choices that shattered my soul)  The Diablo 4 things that have been released has given me goosebumps, so I decided to revisit an old friend in Diablo 2 while I wait.  I think Diablo 2 still holds up remarkably well.  It's interfaces maybe a little clunky these days, but there is some pure video game spirit in its design.  It has stayed with me strongly throughout its years.

The Final Fantasy Legend -- Whewww...looks like I'm restarting this a third time.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails In The Sky -- Yes, I'm finally taking a crack at one of the most beloved series on this website ... Not too much to say at the moment other than I've been very nostalgic for this type of graphical style for a while, so this game so far has fit the bill.

(You can now see why I'm a video game wreck)

#75 2019-11-13 11:23:00

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Psychic_Heist wrote:

Since I'm into matters of fitness, I'm very interested in this, but that price tag!  I'm afraid of dropping the hard earned moo-lah, and then after a few weeks this thing starts to collect dust.  Keep us posted if you've been sticking with it.

Yeah, the price tag is really steep and almost kept me from getting on board as well, and it's probably going to keep me from spending money on other games for a while. Positive reviews and word of mouth may have influenced my decision to jump on this. That said, I've been at it a little over a week and and I think the combination of short sessions that force... er, encourage you to work different parts of you body by gamifying the experience has been keeping me engaged. Like Rhete said on the podcast, Nintendo clearly put a lot of R&D into this product and it feels like it could actually have some health benefits and get people interested in fitness. I just don't see it taking off like the Wii Fit/Sports ecosystem did, which had a perfect storm of media coverage and appeal to seniors and non-gamers.

Board footer