Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-01 10:51:03

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

God is in the Podcast Episode I: Portrait of an American Family

https://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/socksca … php?a=mm01

mm01.png

Today, myself and Taylor launched a new podcast where we will be reviewing Marilyn Manson's mainline discography! 

We will also be pulling innocent souls along with us for the ride who have very little to no experience with Marilyn Manson's work, and we hope that creates some interesting and fun new perspective and maybe even attracts a new fan or two to the music myself and Taylor have to...well defend at this point xD 

Hope you enjoy!

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#2 2019-09-02 15:53:41

Pauncho Smith
Immortalized Rolling Thunder Team Member

Re: God is in the Podcast Episode I: Portrait of an American Family

Never listened to this disc back in the day, but Brian Warner was sure popular among the members of Boy Scout Troop 440 when I was still active.

#3 2019-09-02 16:43:40

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

I wasn't aware of Portrait until some time in the late 2000s. It was interesting to see an incarnation of the band that hadn't gone full shock rock yet, instead with a bit of a grungier sensibility (and I don't mean the heyday of grunge, I mean by the time grunge had gone mainstream and synonymous with all things "dumb Gen-X slacker.") The video for Lunchbox is goofy as hell as it largely takes place in a skating rink and the band looks like your older brother's weird alt rock friends playing a shitty gig on open mic night.

Since the Dope Hat video was only mentioned in passing, I feel like it's only fair to point out that it's... more Willy Wonka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq1sHDwpgqo

The early videos really make the case for the development of their glam rock trappings, because Brian Warner is a pretty ugly dude the less makeup he has on.

#4 2019-09-02 18:54:10

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Yeah xD The Dope Hat video is just so blatantly Wonka it's amazing SOMEONE didn't go after them, but I suppose it's distorted and fucked with JUST enough to not have a case or not be worth going after.

That said, I've had SO MANY DOODS tell me over the years that they popped the most legit boner to the Long Hard Road Out of Hell video xD

#5 2019-09-02 19:31:06

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Polly wrote:

That said, I've had SO MANY DOODS tell me over the years that they popped the most legit boner to the Long Hard Road Out of Hell video xD

Huh-huh, "long." "Hard."

#6 2019-09-02 19:34:10

Pauncho Smith
Immortalized Rolling Thunder Team Member

Polly wrote:

Manson's ass in that time period seemingly got as much coverage as his band did.

#7 2019-09-02 22:24:30

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

This was a great listen, super-excited for the next one!!

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#8 2019-09-26 17:36:50

Psychic_Heist

To be clear, I haven’t listened to this podcast yet because I didn’t want anything to shape my opinion on ‘Portrait of An American Family,’ and I will also mention again here that I have never listened to a Marilyn Manson album in my life. Sooooo after a couple listens of this album, I have to say, I had a really good time.  I’ve surprised myself how much I enjoyed it, and will be revisiting this over and over.  Top to bottom, I found this to be a really, REALLY, great rock record that even keeps a  strong sense of ‘oh my, this feel pretty dangerous even in 2019.’ My only little nitpick is that the length of “My Monkey” (and I hate to be the guy signaling out the silly song.  I usually champion silliness) goes on just a bit too long that when I get to “Misery Machine,” I was distracted enough that I was like “Oh yeah, back to the RAWWWKKK music” and robbed that song a little bit of its punch.

That said, I loved this album.  The swagger and glorious middle finger of it, the guitar playing so lively and creative, and Manson is such a visceral and magnetic front man.  I’m not sure I knew what to expect, but I certainly didn’t expect to have fun and be so entertained.  Moments like this is what I appreciate about the Socks site, trying out something you didn’t know you were going to like.

Now on to this podcast to see what the pros have to say.

#9 2019-09-27 08:33:05

Psychic_Heist

Second that this was a great listen. And I didn’t think y’alls opinions were that dissimilar from my own rookie perspective.  I’m going to move on to the next album, then that podcast, and hopefully get caught up soon.  I’m trying to be careful and not consume all this too quickly.

#10 2019-09-27 09:12:17

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I've had Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, and Holy Wood on loop for the last couple weeks, having a great time re-familiarizing myself with an artist that was super-important to me as a kid. I don't think I'll continue onward for now, I wanna take that journey with the podcast.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#11 2019-09-27 12:20:01

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

I was going to re-listen to Portrait last night and just... forgot ><

#12 2019-09-27 13:16:52

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Psychic_Heist wrote:

Second that this was a great listen. And I didn’t think y’alls opinions were that dissimilar from my own rookie perspective.  I’m going to move on to the next album, then that podcast, and hopefully get caught up soon.  I’m trying to be careful and not consume all this too quickly.

Oh boy, Smells Like Children will likely be a...VERY different experience xD

Board footer