Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-23 18:44:05

Psychic_Heist

Next Weeks forecast: It's looking CLOUDy with a bunch of Remakes

Remakes are nothing new, but with two pretty big remakes out this year (‘Resident Evil 2’ and ‘Link’s Awakening’) and the Final Fantasy VII remake coming around the bend, it sure does feel like this might be the beginning of some new phase of taking beloved classics and giving them the full-blown AAA treatment.  I have two sides of my brain yelling at each other over this.  There is the one side, the dreamer of yore, who has wished for a Final Fantasy VII that looked like it’s CGI cut scenes all my life (never could that dreamer imagine that in game graphics would be looking a WHOLE lot better than that) and then there is the side of my brain playing the devil’s advocate, cynical, and negative. “You think you want this remake? This ain’t your Final Fantasy VII. Plus … ,” it whispers slyly.  “When’s the last time Square made good?”

I was born late eighties, so I never experienced when the original trilogy of Star Wars movies were in the theaters.  By the time I got into Star Wars, it was around when those ‘Special Edition’ versions of the movies came out (and thus internet nerd rage was conceived).  I didn’t get it the disdain.  It’s only recently in the middle of replaying Final Fantasy VII, in prep for its remake, that I could finally understand why so many Star Wars fans were in an uproar.  Final Fantasy VII is kinda ugly, messy, and fucking bizarre, but that is also a part of its experience, its charm, and strange power. 

The remake will be technically better, prettied up, and it looks to be adding a whole bunch of new blown up story beats to boot. Maybe it will be great and what we’ve dreamed of.  But I just can’t see it having that certain ‘risk’ that is in the spirit of the original.  My biggest fear is that the story turns out like Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy, bloated and totally unnecessary. The corporate video game business is about those dollars, but just like a big budgeted Hollywood movie, sometimes a substantial piece of art comes through, and I believe that’s the case with the original FF VII.  But this new remake? Puh-lease … we know what’s going on.  Cha-cing cha-ching…

Like, $60 for Links Awakening remake?  “Hell yeah Ninten-does that because it’s Zelda and nostalgia, and your heart is our hostage and will give us everything, mwhahahaha!” (to tell you the truth, I actually paid more for the Dreamer Edition.  Yes.  I will be a part of this potential remake money-grabbing problem).

And yet …

I get to witness my kids having a blast with their first Zelda experience.  It’s easy for us adults, who have already had these experiences and know the mechanics and story beats, to either breeze through these games, or easily critique what these remakes don’t have.  It might take me say, five to eight hours to complete Links Awakening.  My kids? They will have spent those same hours joyfully killing chickens.  We will eventually make it through the main game.  But damn, this is a new experience for them.  A new legacy born.

Maybe that was a $70 worth spent …

So, I open up this up to you all.  How do we feel about video game remakes (to be clear, not remasters)?  Do they replace the original work most of the time? (Resident Evil Remake is one of my favorite video games period) Or, is something lost in the upgrade? (I love Metroid Zero Mission; but it just doesn’t hold a candle to the atmosphere of the NES Metroid).

#2 2019-09-23 23:35:18

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Re: Next Weeks forecast: It's looking CLOUDy with a bunch of Remakes

Final Fantasy VII without static pre-rendered backgrounds isn't Final Fantasy VII!!!!!

But it might be something new that's compelling in its own way. I liked Lightning Returns a lot, and I honestly had an okay time with FFXV. I'm not gonna be there day one or anything, but my heart's open if my friends dig it.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#3 2019-09-24 17:08:17

Psychic_Heist

(Hi John! Big fan of yours here.)

You give me some hope to think of it as something that will have its own strong identity.  I’m just feeling cynical because I felt a bit burned by FFXV, and that Square was adding on to it and charging $$$ along the way. With FF VII remake being just part one, I’m more of the idea this is a cash grab based on our nostalgia and not a passion project.  I want to be wrong by the way.  I just don’t want to know that I’m being manipulated.

To the side, I’ve never played the FF XIII games.  They came out at a time when I didn’t have a console for that generation.  I’m surprised they haven’t had a remastered release yet.  And down the line
I’d be willing to try FFXV again now that it’s completed version is out.

#4 2019-09-25 11:59:48

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I have a fan :D

I only played Lightning Returns, my heart's wide-open to the other XIII games now though. I have enough friends that really love either XII or XIII or both to wanna give 'em another shot.

I don't expect them to blow me away or anything -- Square isn't at forefront of vibrant game storytelling and hasn't been for a while now. (In the studio space I think Falcom's Trails games are in the lead now.) But I don't think they're the devil either.

I played FFXV before all the patches and have zero interest in revisiting it, I think it's sorta grotesque how they kept reanimating a finished story instead of moving on to something new. It was still a barely cohering dumpster fire of a game but I'm glad I got to play it before they mucked around with it for three years.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

Board footer