Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-17 12:22:53

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

SaGa Mega-Thread!

We've all been counting down the days until 11/11/19, when Romancing SaGa 3 will finally come to the states for the first time. Not only that, but just a short month later, SaGa: Scarlet Grace will be localized as well. They're coming to Steam, Vita, Switch, mobile, every platform you could want.

By the end of the year (if you don't count the mobile gacha games) every single SaGa will have been officially localized in one form or another. Which makes me really happy!

Where are y'all at in your SaGa journeys?? I've played through the GameBoy trilogy, RS2, and the robot route in Frontier. I enjoyed all of 'em except Final Fantasy Legend III (which was a different team and basically a different kind of game altogether). I'm VERY excited for RS3, I think it's gonna go down real smooth for me now that I've successfully played through 2 twice.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#2 2019-10-17 15:34:11

Psychic_Heist

Re: SaGa Mega-Thread!

John wrote:

Where are y'all at in your SaGa journeys??.

Started back in 2008 with Unlimited Saga, eleven years later, still about 30 mins in wink

Seriously, if memory serves correctly there was once a mention of the Sockscast all playing that game together, and that is this fan’s wish to happen one day.

#3 2019-10-17 15:40:57

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Unlimited Saga looks legit magical, I'm totally here for it. Deffo gonna play it once I'm done working through the canonical SaGas.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#4 2019-10-21 13:25:29

Psychic_Heist

So there was this game called Final Fantasy VII, you may have heard of it, and when it was released I wanted it so badly but I did not have a Sony Playstation at the time.  So while I was playing the long game to convince my grandparents that we needed that console, I was looking to get my hands on any Final Fantasy related material at the time to wet my appetite.  There was only one friend at the time that had what I was looking for and it was in the form of the Gameboy game “Final Fantasy Legend II.”  That would be my first Final Fantasy, but even better as I’ve out found many years later, it was really my first SaGa game.

I can’t say I remember much about the actual game itself, but more about the experience of playing a RPG by myself.

(Just for reference, it wasn’t my first RPG.  I feel a little self-conscious saying this because I’m not trying to sound fashionable or anything, but my first RPG was Earthbound, and I had the help of the strategy guide and my grandmother to get me through that game.  Earthbound fucked me up.)

This was when I was around 12 years old, I didn’t have home access to the internet, and for some reason I had it in my head that the ‘Final Fantasy’ brand was for adults, more specifically, adults who READ.  So I had a panicking mantra in my head the whole time I was playing this Gameboy game “Make sure you read everything!  Make sure you explore everything!  Make sure you read everything!  Make sure you explore everything!  Make sure -- ” etc…

And that’s really my only true in depth experience with a SaGa game.  I believe I made some headway in it, but I didn’t finish it as I had to give it back.  Besides that, and my “Unlimited SaGa” experience discussed before, I do remember giving “SaGa Frontier 2” a go.  That was a game I really wanted because I thought it looked so incredibly beautiful.  But I barely played it because I had no clue what to do with it about, again, 30 minutes in.

But you know what?  Fuck the sanity, I’m all ready to go all in and take another crack at these series of games.  I have fired up the first SaGa game.  I’m about 15 minutes in and already feel like I’ve messed up.  Following along with a guide, I have a team of two humans, one mutant, and a skeleton.  I sold my stuff in hopes to get some gold gear, but only had enough for a gauntlet. So now I’m trying to grind for the $$$, but keep running into Lizards, who keep messing up my party just enough to where when I go to heal them at the INN, it costs more money to heal than what I make from grinding.  It’s then I wonder, “Was Kawazu so forward thinking in 1989, that he is making a comment on the future of American Healthcare?”

John, I don’t know where I am going with these series of games, but hopefully you can lend out some lights as I walk down this twisted path of darkness.

#5 2019-10-22 00:12:09

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Hell yeah <3 I honestly think FFLegend 1 is one of the best and most accessible of these games, I hope you enjoy it!

(You might also like my rpg Facets, which is partly a send-up of FFLegend 1.)

-Magus

#6 2019-10-28 17:49:08

jetstorm4
The JRPG Person
Website

I've learned to enjoy the specific brand of JRPG SaGa provides. In increments.

I love The Final Fantasy Legend, and will probably say it's my favorite one, and I'm somewhat familiar with Romancing SaGa 2 now... even if I struggled hard on it.

The one I REALLY like though is SaGa Frontier. I have a PS1 memory card dedicated to only SaGa Frontier save files and I protect it. I've cleared 3 stories, Red's, T260G's, and Emilia's, and was working on Asellus's until I had to go do something but I definitely want to dig back in and have that one memory card filled with SaGa (I worked out the blocks needed, it would take up the card to have the System data and 1 file for all 7).

"Send in the Clowns"
- Ghaleon

#7 2019-10-29 09:11:00

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Yesssssss, SaGa Frontier is so tasty and so gorgeous. I've only cleared T260G's, I want to at least do Red and Emilia. There's a good chunk of overlap between routes so I don't know if I'll have the fortitude to do all seven, but I definitely really like the game.

-Magus

#8 2019-11-11 17:51:46

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

IT'S HERE!!!

Romancing SaGa 3 is now out for PC, PS4, PSVita, XBox One, Switch, iPhone, and Android. Go pick it up, this is apparently one of the real good ones!!

-Magus

#9 2019-11-12 17:08:40

Ghosty
Spookmaker

I've played the Romancing Saga 3 fan translation. I mean... I totally played the Japanese game on the SNES Super Famicom. It's does cool and neat things with the characters, the combat system, how you can just sort of travel around the locales most any way you like (well not quite). But for some reason, when you just think you're starting to get your party sorted and the mobs are getting more manageable, the difficulty suddenly spikes, even in the areas you've already been and I just get stuck somewhere! (I also end up not knowing where to go.) ._.;

Final Fantasy Legend on the GameBoy was the same thing. You have these lovely character sprites (IT LOOKS SO CHARMING!), and lots of different characters to pick and name, it starts out nice, if simple, and then suddenly random encounter mobs are pwiping your ass out of the blue. Or you level up your character, you character 'evolves' or what the heck they called it, and suddenly, your character is way worse! I just feel like I'm doing something wrong somehow... I can't seem to get into this series, even if the games seem cool and quirky.

(Oh, and... Mentioning EarthBound. I believe it's the first RPG I actually managed to beat, though certainly not my first RPG.)

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
The hole is greater than it was a minute ago.
Wait, it's growing! Oh no! Run!!

#10 2019-11-12 18:17:35

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

~*~*~THE SAGA EXPERIENCE~*~*~

The thing with the games is that they're not just bizarre and opaque, they're also very very hard in weird obtuse ways.

The characters that evolve in SaGa are the "monsters", I've never played one where they're worth the trouble. Humans and Mutants and Robots are much easier to deal with.

-Magus

#11 2019-11-13 05:56:32

Psychic_Heist

John wrote:

The characters that evolve in SaGa are the "monsters", I've never played one where they're worth the trouble.

WHHHHAAAATTTTT? I have a Skeleton character that's tranformed into a Albatross, and now I feel like you are telling me I should probably restart this game a third time?

How does a party of two humans and two mutants sound?

#12 2019-11-13 13:43:48

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Humans and mutants are a lot easier to deal with! Mutants get stronger when you fight battles, but they gain and lose abilities at random, so you'll sometimes lose a powerful ability. Humans only get stronger when you buy them stat upgrade items, so they're a bit pricey but consistent. Monsters are inexplicable. I think I won with two humans, a mutant, and a monster. I won on my first try, so I don't think it's THAT demanding.

This all only applies to FFLegend 1 obv, every game handles it differently smile

-Magus

Board footer