Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-26 13:52:06

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Falcom Mega-Thread!

Have y'all played a Falcom game lately and wanna chat about 'sploring ancient ruins and meeting cute girls? If so, post about it here! If not, get with the damn program!

I finished Trails in the Sky the 3rd a few months ago and thought it was perfect and beautiful. SC goes so hard so I had zero idea how they could follow it up... and they completely nailed it. I cherish these characters and this world, and I'm really excited to dig into Crossbell and Cold Steel.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#2 2019-08-26 14:06:41

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Re: Falcom Mega-Thread!

It'll probably be a good idea to try and keep things as spoiler free in this thread as we can, especially given that Trails is so sprawling, but yeah... 

I love the hell out of Ys, and Ys VIII especially did pretty much EVERYTHING right, and the Trails series is on fire.  Sky and Crossbell are amazing and Cold Steel I and II are definitely on the right track leading into Cold Steel III in October.  I'm so fucking stoked.

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#3 2019-08-26 14:32:11

Iffy
Wind Walker
Website

Trails and Ys are amazing and everyone should play them. I'm replaying Cold Steel II on PS4 in preparation for Cold Steel III in October, really excited!

#4 2019-08-26 15:05:12

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

I also just played through Oath in Felghana. It was actually the first Falcom game I'd ever touched, years ago when it came out. I was happy to return to and finish it, such a good and nice follow-up to Ark of Napishtim.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#5 2019-08-26 19:11:20

After5
Stupid Sideways Z Thing
Website

I'm so ready for Ys IX in September even if Dana's tummy doesn't make a showing. Getting the JP version cause I'm a cheater and I want to get a head start on the maybe speedrun.

I'm looking forward to internally screaming until the English version comes out and I can finally talk about it with you guys.

Super ready for Cold Steel III, too. My NEPM (Nut Explosions Per Minute) is going to be through the roof the next 2 months.

The inventor and #1 advocate of Spine Cleavage™

#6 2019-08-26 19:35:47

jetstorm4
The JRPG Person
Website

The best part about Falcom games is that if you're old enough, you may have accidentally played one or a version made by Hudson. Whether it be Ys Books 1 and 2, Ys on Master System, Ys III for whatever system you played it on, Legacy of the Wizard or Faxanadu on NES, the Faxanadu Captain N episode, or Brandish on SNES...

There's a lot of them okay?

"Send in the Clowns"
- Ghaleon

#7 2019-08-26 19:42:49

Zeloz (Mark II)
Retired Ume Detective
Website

Wasn't SNES Brandish a Koei joint?

Also, it tickles me knowing that the Famicom versions of Ys, and the SNES versions of Ys III and IV were done by the same company that brought us such classics as Dynowarz: Destruction of Spondylus and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

#8 2019-08-26 20:04:07

jetstorm4
The JRPG Person
Website

Huh. I wondered who developed that version. I knew Koei published it at least.

"Send in the Clowns"
- Ghaleon

#9 2019-08-26 21:26:10

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

I played Ys Books I & II a while back, Origin way before that. I finished Yunica's route easily enough so I bumped the difficulty up and started a game as Hugo, couldn't even get past the first fight with that one girl. That put a stop to that.

#10 2019-09-22 00:57:07

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Hey have any of you gone through the work of setting up Dawn of Ys with the fan translation? It's tough 'cause it's a Turbo CD game, I've never successfully gotten those running before.

-Magus

#11 2019-09-25 12:04:42

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

(Zach got it working for me and sent me a zip! Feel free to reach out to me if you want in on Dawn of Ys too.)

-Magus

Board footer