Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-03-11 13:36:09

Rhete
Administrator

Re: SnS on 2010s: The Top Games of the Decade According To SnS

Ghosty wrote:

So am I right in thinking that if a game was released before 2010, but it had content added to it 2010 or later, it still wouldn't qualify for the list?

I would err on the side of not including it, unless it got a full rerelease

Edit: Whoaaaaaaa page 2!

#27 2020-03-16 02:50:00

Zeloz (Mark II)
Retired Ume Detective
Website

42 to 27!

42. Tomena Sanner (2010)
I remember this being one of the first really compelling single-player iPhone games I'd ever played. While it plays more like a rhythm game than the runner-esque vibe screenshots may give of it, there really isn't any rhyme or reason to any aspect of the game, musically or visually. Just hit the action button when you run into anything and maybe you won't lose time being harrassed by aliens, yakuza, and dinosaurs? Probably one of the goofiest Konami games to have come out in recent memory.

41. Polly Clicker (2015)
While it may have been intended as a jab at pointless "clicker" games like Cookie Clicker and AVGM (themselves parodies of manipulative, grindy game mechanics), the game itself is more of a streamlined RPG, turning the genre's grindy nature into a rush to click a bunch while also having to manage a handful of stats to get through hostile and increasingly obscure SMPS memes. The game really defies Genre itself to create a beautifully absurd ode to one of the Internet's most lovely corners, and the irreverent web mistress its members revolve around. Wopperbuffet indeed.

40. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (2016)
One of the few PS+ Free Gets I stuck with when I first got my PS4, and for what was originally a DOS adventure game from the early 90s, it was a spectacular romp for my sister and me to go through. The remastered, smoothed-out art fits quite well with the cartoony style of the original game, and the puzzles are pretty logical and easy to suss out compared to other adventure games of its vintage. The game's humor and design has aged pretty gracefully, and what the remaster adds doesn't detract from this at all.

39. Pokémon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire (2014)
This game is my new standard for 2D-to-3D remakes, a shining example of how to bring new definition to a game without compromising defining aspects. And I don't say this because of any love for the originals or the series itself; when I first heard about these remakes, I was pretty tired with Pokemon as a whole, and I thought having another generation of remakes - of games that I thought were worse than their immediate predecessors - would be a waste of resources on Game Freak's part. And yet, I found myself compelled to play it through all the way to the end, unhampered by extraneous features that cluttered X & Y and pulled forward by the ever-so-slight deviations the game took from the originals. The story, main and post-game, is just as cheesy and childish as ever, but it's all executed with an earnestness that I couldn't help but grin at all the way through.

38. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (2014)
An utterly delightful, ZX Spectrum-esque romp through a nonsense world of disease and sickness, all clocking in at a playtime of a little more than an hour.

37. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (2015)
The story is disappointing, but the streamlined combat mechanics and merciful Casual mode made for a surprisigly smooth Fire Emblem experience, even if 3/4ths of my party ended up underleveled for the last maps. And for as one-dimensional as the cast of Conquest get, they take on another definition when applying the Gay Fates hack and plotting silly love stories based on the roles and personalities of the persons involved; I can think of hardly any canon relationship so sweet as that of the one between the tank-like, gluttonous armor knight and her small, timid farmer-turned-archer girlfriend/wife.

36. Ys I & II Chronicles/Plus (2011)
Easily the definitive version of the first Ys games, even if they are rehashes of a rehash of a 1997 PC collection. Regardless, the games are easy enough to pick up and play on either modern PCs or the PSP, which cannot be said of most other action RPGs from '87, or '97 for that matter. The 2D artwork is fantastic, even though it's largely lifted from old Ys Eternal assets, and the selection of three very good renditions of both games' soundtracks (PC-88, 2001 Complete, and 2011 Chronicles) easily makes up for some of the more antiquated aspects of the games themselves.

35. Celeste (2018)
Story aside, Celeste is an smartly-designed difficult platformer with some pretty fun air-dashing mechanics, an endlessly listenable soundtrack, and a very cute, kinda smooshy take on pixelly artwork. But taking into account the lovable characters and relatable protagonist in mind, as well as a narrative and meta-language dedicated to overcoming the seemingly insurmountable adversity before you/Madeline, and you've got a game with a a greater sense of humanity than most others. It's a game that expects you to fail, a lot, but hardly ever does it feel mean-spirited or discouraging.

34. Downwell (2015)
A tense, novel arcade shooter that feels like a cross between Mr. Driller and Doom, blending the gradual downward-progression of the former with the "deadly-foes-at-every-corner-getting-in-line-for-a-faceful-of-buckshot" constant thrill of the latter. I can think of few other games that distill immediate, unpredictable Action so well.

33. Dys4ia (2012)
One of the first "artsy" games I felt some lingering connection with, long before seriously considering my own gender identity. In retrospect, the game's message is pretty blunt: the beginning of being trans sucks in a cisnormative world, yet playing it gave me the space to realize the humanity in transgender people and the frustration they constantly face. That made it easier to, in the years after, rid myself of my own negative biases about trans folks, other disenfranchised groups of people, and myself ultimately. Dys4ia didn't make me realize I was trans, but it did make the assurance that any struggle made towards living one's best self wasn't one made in vain.

32. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (2017)
I could nitpick about some of the slight artistic changes Vicarious Visions' remaster brought to these games, but that would be a waste of words considering just how well the games and game-feel has been translated through several generations of hardware. Even with the slight differences in physics, playing Crash Bandicoot here felt very much like playing Crash 1 on my PlayStation when I was 5, or playing Crash 1 on an emulator when I was 17, or playing Japanese Crash 1 on a PSP at 21. My deep-seated nostalgia for these games may very well be blinding me from the fact that these aren't much more than mediocre 3D Donkey Kong Country clones (as the GBA games would suggest), but I don't care. These games in their remastered form play just as well as I remember them playing, and that's well enough for me.

31. Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced (2012)
I had played Perfect Cherry Blossom and Imperishable Night prior to this, but this cute hack of Pokemon FireRed was my official jumping point into the lore and characters and music of Touhou. I mean, it's kinda makes sense that having to collect, evolve, and raise the many denizens of Gensokyo as would make remembering who's Kisume and who's Hina and who's Patchouli Knowledge easier than encountering them once as 1-3 minute boss battles in a shmup. Unique to Aichiya Sanae's take on the "Touhoumon" series of Pokemon hacks is their usage of low-sample Touhou fan music in place of the usual Pokemon chip music, as well as a completely reinvented array of Types and evolution progressions, and an expanded world map roughly comparable (but not exactly as large as) Pokemon Gold and Silver. Sure, the balancing is kinda hit-or-miss, but this hack was genuinely the most fun I had ever had with Gen 3 Pokemon. Truly, I don't think I'd love Suwako or Alice as much as I do now had I not had them Surf and Psychic an overleveled Elite Four into submission.

30. Polly Dungeon (2018)
Taken to its logical extreme, dungeon-crawling roguelikes are more-or-less a series of coin-flips. This game takes that premise and then, in true Polly faschion, adds a very Polly sense of humor to it. The result is perhaps one of the most delightful amalgamation of puns and fart jokes I've ever come across, culminating in a stupidly awesome and sorta heartwarming climax.

29. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (2011)
I feel there's little need to go on about the greatness of SMPS's official 5th Generation, PS1/N64/Saturn/Dreamcast Game of All Time. It is a very good game, and the 3DS version uses the system's hardware very well to communicate this. It's certainly a better-looking, smoother-running port of Ocarina of Time than the GameCube versions at the very least, and having the Master Quest be mirrored made for a nifty remix of a remix.

28. Pokémon Sword/Shield (2019)
Without a doubt, surprisingly, my favorite Switch game to date. While the narrative never made as much of an impact as I felt it could've, the new Pokemon and some of the new cast are immediately endearing, and the Dynamax/Gigantamax battles make for the closest the series has ever gotten to true, climactic boss battles one would expect at the end of other JRPGs. Plus, the cooking and camping and online systems are such a joy to interact with.

27. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (2013)
When I first looked up footage for the first Hyperdimension Neptunia, I thought it was the most amateurish, most hilariously sleazy thing ever. I thought the remake would be much of the same, even as Rhete first mentioned it favorably on the Sockscast so long ago. When I bought it on sale and loaded it up on my Vita, though, the ways this game improved on the jank original were noticable immediately. The writing was actually pretty funny! The game itself, though unbalanced and a little clunky, played better than the sluggish PS3 original by many orders of magnitude. Neptunia turned out to be a really lovable protagonist, and the supporting cast likewise was fun to listen to! The entire SMPS community being stricken with Nep-fever at the time may have contributed to my own obsession with the game as I was playing it, but there's no denying the game still remains as one of the most delightful games I've played to Platinum on the Vita.

Last edited by Zeloz (Mark II) (2020-04-21 18:40:04)

#28 2020-03-21 15:31:17

Pauncho Smith
Immortalized Rolling Thunder Team Member

I have 100 games, but expect a lot of one-sentence blurbs out of me (cos I can't find it in me to make most of these any longer).

Part 1 of 4:

100. HuniePop: Actually a pretty competent puzzle game.........Don't look at me like that.

99. Afterward: That's my apartment, FYI.

98. Polly Dungeon: There's a final boss fight in SPACE, what more do you really need?

97. Her Lullaby: I'll never get used to pronouncing it as "Taco". Sorry, just can't do it.

96. Doki Doki Literature Club: Somehow we got to the point where Monika t-shirts are being sold at malls.

95. Electronic Super Joy: Like Super Meat Boy, but with people sounding like they're about bust a nut used as sound effects.

94. Helen’s Mysterious Castle: A heart-warming tale of a girl who won't let her relative illiteracy hold her back.

93. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: You'll never forget the first time you used the right analog stick to walk.

92. Jamestown: Anachronistic colonialism on Mars is as reasonable a setting for a shmup as any, I guess.

91. Analogue: A Hate Story: If it wasn't for Polly, I'd still be fucking around with the console command inputs at the very beginning.

90. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon: It's like Castlevania III, but you can probably beat it without breaking your controller in the process.

89. GRIS: Out of all the artsy, moody platformers I've ever played, this is one of them.

88. Hate Plus: I remember streaming this game, and then I dropped a c-bomb in reference to  *Mute and my feminist friend got mad at me. Good times.

87. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions: Thankfully, you don't need to remember anything from your high school Geometry class to enjoy this one.

86. Bot Vice: Complete with arcade-style shooting action and deliciously-corny 90's era Saturday Morning cartoon voice acting.

85. Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION: Goddamn those are some big lasers.

84. Double Dragon Neon: A lack of jank-ass jumping mechanics and that glorious end theme make this the best Double Dragon by default.

83. Bleed 2: Another silly game where things go "BOOM!" and "FWOOSH!"

82. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux: I set the difficulty to "Casual" to beat the final bosses and I don't feel bad about it at all.

81. Mark of the Ninja: 2D stealth done properly.

80. Bleed: A silly game where things go "BOOM!" and "FWOOSH!"

79. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night: For everyone who yearned for another Symphony of the Night, well you got exactly what you wanted.

78. Rogue Legacy: Would've liked it a little more if they cut down on some of the pointless, goofy shit with your progeny.

77. Sonic Mania: DID SOMEBODY SAY "LOOP DE LOOPS"?

76. Mega Man 10: I almost forgot this came out during the last decade.

75. Iconoclasts: Almost Treasure. Almost Metroidvania. It works.

Last edited by Pauncho Smith (2020-05-13 18:30:21)

#29 2020-03-21 18:57:12

Pauncho Smith

List Continued (Part 2 of 4):

74. Donkey Kong Country Returns: My brother would be very upset if I didn't have this on here. Only problem was he made me play it with him.

73. New Super Mario Bros. U: Boy this sure was a modern 2D Mario game.

72. Kirby Star Allies: Maybe the 2D Kirby formula is starting to wear a little thin, but still mostly fun.

71. Dead Cells: The rouge-lite approach is played out now, but damn this just feels good to play.

70. Ys: The Oath In Felghana:  The one Falcom game on my list. People like those, right?

69. Virtue’s Last Reward: Probably my least favorite in the Zero Escape series, but the rabbit was pretty funny.

68. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love: This game made me wonder if any of the devs who worked on it had even been to New York City.

67. Bastion: I like to imagine it's Tom Waits doing all the narration.

66. Blazing Chrome: Thank you JoyMasher, for doing what Konami won't anymore.

65. Child of Light: Gorgeous, charming, and with all the iambic pentameter you can handle. 

64. Super Time Force Ultra: I quite enjoyed this game's take on time manipulation.

63. Pyre: More sportsball games need giant sheep people on their team rosters.

62. Dark Souls 2: I beat this game by summoning other players and letting them kill the bosses for me. No apologies.

61. Katawa Shoujo: A lovingly-crafted, lemon-scented visual novel, containing a level of feels that is seldom eclipsed.

60. Volgarr the Viking: I'll never have the patience to master the alternate routes, but pretty solid overall.

59. Ducktales Remastered: They got a little carried away with the collecting and the cut scenes BUT HOLY HELL THAT NEW MOON THEME IS GODLY.

58. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number: Not sure bigger, sprawling levels was the way to go, but at least they gave you a chainsaw.

57. Cosmic Star Heroine: Short game (by RPG standards) that barrels right through its story, but it scratched more than a few old school RPG itches for me.

56. Mighty Switch Force! 2: Patty Wagon has it right; the only way to save children is to punt them.

55. Assault Android Cactus: Honestly, I thought they all looked better with the normal-proportioned heads.

54. Steins; Gate 0: Probably one of the more gripping depictions of psychological trauma that I've experienced.

53. Hotline Miami: This game has been described as a "top-down fuck-em-up". No truer words have been spoken.

52. Shantae & the Pirate’s Curse: This is the one Shantae game that I can unequivocally and wholly recommend.

51. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Remake): Being able to leave markers on your map really paid off in Turtle Rock.

Last edited by Pauncho Smith (2020-05-13 19:15:53)

#30 2020-03-22 02:54:34

Pauncho Smith

Part 3 of 4:

50. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth: What better way for the 3DS to go out than with the biggest Persona fanservice crossover to date. Persona 3 Portable's female protagonist is finally canon (somewhat).

49. Hollow Knight: You know a game isn't playing nice when it throws both Deepnest AND a Meat Boy Cotton Alley-esque area at you. Has some killer boss fights though.

48. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir: Five different characters with wildly different play-styles prevents the action from feeling too redundant. And as is Vanillaware's calling card, that food looks amazing.

47. Super Mario Odyssey: I typically prefer the more level-focused Mario games over the games with the big, sprawling worlds, but this one still has its charms. Felt more like an extravagant celebration of the series to this point more than anything else.

46. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight: Short and sweet, Reverie nails its ambiance and controls like a dream. It delivers on what the previous Momodora games hinted at.

45. Wandersong: If only it were that easy to remedy all of the World's ills with the power of song. Nevertheless, we can still enjoy the imaginative mix of art, gameplay and touching character moments.

44. Oniken: The game that proved that Danilo & Co. were a force to be reckoned with. At times, Oniken even outdoes the NES classics that inspired it.  Does throwing bombs at a polar bear from the back of a snow bike do anything for you?

43. Gotta Protectors: An incredibly goofy, retro-inspired take on.....well, think of it as a mix between Gauntlet and a RTS with an emphasis on protecting a screaming princess. Easily one of the best hidden gems on the 3DS.

42. Downwell: Jump down the well and fall. Seems simple enough, but the action intensifies to an absurd degree in no time flat. Perhaps the one game that's come closest to that arcade feel I've played in years.

41. Kirby: Triple Deluxe: Good Kirby game. Doesn't do a great deal to set itself about from the others in the series, but it's still probably worth your cash and your time.

40. Mario Kart 7: This was the game that came pre-loaded onto my 2DS (the first one I bought anyway), and it wasn't too shabby. Bonus points for not including any of those redundant baby characters (although I'm not sure who was chomping at the bit to play as a Wriggler).

39. Resident Evil 2 (Remake): A really solid re-imagining of the 1998 Playstation classic. Was a little bummed out that many of the differences between Leon and Claire's routes from the original were virtually nonexistent (often attributed to the game having a rushed development).

38. Zero Time Dilemma: More rooms that make you feel super smart once you've escaped them, and more mind-bending lectures on morality and metaphysics than you can shake a blood-stained kitchen knife at. Also, you'll never look at snails the same way again.

37. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner – Soul Hackers: How improbable was this port? A meaty Sega Saturn RPG from 1997 that didn't see a Western localization and release until 2012. Quite a while to wait, but the cyberpunk flair is strong here, and Nemissa's the best goth girlfriend a hacker could ask for.

36. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition: I quite appreciated how well the game balanced its puzzle elements with the twitch platforming required to finish many of these stages under par; doubly so with the remixed stages you accessed after your first run.

35. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable: I only played this as the female protagonist, but that's actually for the best as there are no transphobic jokes in her route, and Aigis is totally infatuated with her. I think she has the superior battle music too.

34. Stella Glow: Imageepoch's final game before bankruptcy, Stella Glow has you fighting alongside a roster of singing witches, whose powers can be augmented by spending your free time with them. Well, you do have to "tune" them........Trust me, it's not as lewd as it sounds......for the most part.

33. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies: The long-awaited return of Wright & Co. It was heartening to see Phoenix grow into the role of mentor, leading his team of young attorneys. Has a pretty good DLC case as well, with more familiar faces popping up again.

32. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (The Nonary Games Version): For my money, this is the strongest, most focused of the Zero Escape series, and it also works perfectly fine as a standalone game. And unlike After5, looking underneath the pillows was the FIRST thing I did.

31. Cuphead: On visuals and presentation alone, Cuphead has already secured its place in history. It's reputation as a "rage" game does appear to precede it somewhat (just saunter over to YouTube if you're curious). It's worth the trip, even if it's still rough around the edges.

30. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice: In my eyes, this game has a more complete story than Dual Destinies. With the game taking place in a country that executes losing defense attorneys, the stakes have never been higher, but it's nothing some good old fashioned legal acumen can't handle.

29. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I had largely written off console Zelda games after Wind Waker, but this one somehow hooked me back in. It helps that there really isn't a "wrong" way to play it, and you can settle on a method of doing things that best suits you.

28. Shin Megami Tensei IV: It's dark, it's dreary, it's full of demons. It builds on what Nocturne started, only this time, the combat is a lot faster, and damage output can reach ridiculous levels. Good luck with completing those missions though; this is not a game that holds your hand.

27. Bayonetta: Come for the unbridled sexual energy, stay for the absolutely insane set pieces and boss fights (and the adorable costumes you can wear, assuming you're playing the game on a Nintendo console). Nobody fucks with this witch.

26. Kirby: Planet Robobot: I can't quite fathom why it took Nintendo so long to put Kirby in a mech suit and have run roughshod over any baddie that steps in your way. There's probably some subtle theme at work with the main villains being part of a corporation that turns everything into machines, but maybe I'm thinking too much about it.

Last edited by Pauncho Smith (2020-05-13 19:24:32)

#31 2020-03-22 03:35:37

LastZimOnEarth

Finally for around to getting #10-1 written down.

10. Her Lullaby

An excellent VN that manages to be nail-bitingly intense and suspenseful with stakes that constantly feel like they heighten to the very end.

9. Afterward

While Her Lullaby already felt like a satisfyingly told story on its own merits, the brilliantly conceived sequel Afterward does a fantastic job of showing how both Tocco and Sal were affected by their traumatic experiences in the previous game.

8. Tales from the Borderlands

While I wouldn't consider myself a Borderlands fan by any means, Telltale's take on the series really surprised me with an incredibly likable cast of characters, some genuinely chuckle-worthy moments, and some shockingly well-executed pathos. It does a great job telling a story in an established universe that stands on its own incredibly well. P.S. Loader Bot is best character.

7. Mouth Sweet

A phenomenally tense RPG Maker game managed to get under my skin in its relatively short length with its treatise on capitalist institutions.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles

When Xenoblade Chronicles was first unveiled in 2009 as Monado: The Beginning of the World, there was no telling just how well-received the game would end up being. It was probably the first game I ever preordered with my own money and in my humble opinion, this is one of those cases where the hype was well deserved. While the combat was pretty solid, what really won me over was the crazy, ridiculous story and the sheer concept of two worlds that took the form of two giants, not to mention the excellent soundtrack.

5. DON'T GIVE UP: A Cynical Tale

This is honestly the hardest game on my list for me to write about, both because it's clearly a very personal game for its creator and because of how much it ended up resonating with me. It may have been sold as a light-hearted, charming semi-biographical RPG about the creator's struggles with mental health but the story it told managed to really hit close to home for me, personally.

4. The Last Guardian

The game itself had some polarizing reactions upon its release but I personally thought it was absolutely worth the almost-decade long wait. It did a really great job of making Trico feel like an actual living creature, to the point where he reminded me of my dog. I'm not going to say it surpasses Shadow of the Colossus but at the very least, it ends up being pretty close. Definitely a proud accomplishment from Team Ico and Fumito Ueda.

3. Yakuza 0

It wasn't the first Yakuza game I had played, as I had played both 3 and 4 beforehand, but it was the one that really made me a fan of the series. The intertwining stories of Kazuma Kiryu and Goro Majima made for some exceptionally compelling melodrama, with the latter becoming one of my favorite characters in video game history thanks to this game. Not to mention the mostly excellent substories that range from heartwarming to enjoyably goofy. It was also a lot of fun to play around with both Kiryu and Majima's fighting styles during combat.

2. Ghost Trick

Just a phenomenally charming and likable game from beginning to end, with a great cast of characters brought to life by the incredible character movements and a story filled with all kinds of crazy twists and turns that manages to pull itself together incredibly well. The puzzles were also challenging yet never felt insurmountable, which is how I like it.

1. Even the Ocean

Even the Ocean takes place in a fictional world yet the way it deals with the effects of climate change and how marginalized people unintentionally end up being pawns in corrupt power structures is sadly very relevant in our present as our own world is currently being ravaged by said human-made pollution caused by said power structures. And yet while Even the Ocean deals with the tragedy of its own events, it still manages to instill a sense of hope that no matter how bad out circumstances are, that doesn't mean we can't try to live out the best possible lives we can in this dying world.

#32 2020-03-22 23:57:55

Pauncho Smith

The Final Lap - 4 of 4:

25. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse: Often derided as the "Persona" game of the mainline SMT series, it backed away from some of the headier themes of previous games, but furious gameplay and morose atmosphere is still very much present, along with a number of additional side characters who more than make themselves useful in battle.

24. Steins;Gate: Boy does this one ever take a turn. Starting out as a type of "Weird Science for Otaku", the story kicks into high gear and you're left to make a number of incredibly gut-wrenching decisions in order to avoid a tragic future. This one is mandatory for fans of visual novels.

23. Bayonetta 2: Doing what a good sequel ought to, Bayonetta 2 ups the ante, giving you even more foes to fight (angelic and demonic alike) and more means of dishing out the punishment across a variety of elaborate battles and set pieces. Plus, the short hair is simply a better look for her, don't you agree?

22. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc: The first Danganronpa lays the foundation for everything to come in future installments: the neon-tinged retro game aesthetic, the-over-the top characters, and of course those maniacal class trials. Not everything lands here (the mid-trial mini games are mostly shit), but it's still very much an explosive opening act.

21. AI: The Somnium Files: Science Fiction and Police Procedural; two flavors that always seem to work well together. The game features Uchikoshi's strongest cast of characters to date, including horny detectives, Internet idols, fanboy Yakuza, and many more. It's worth pointing out that "Invincible Rainbow Arrow" was the only song worth listening to in 2019.

20. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legend of the Titan: This is a meaty and substantial game if there ever was. You'll spend countless hours meticulously constructing your team of travelers and filling out every square inch of those dungeon maps. It's hardly leisure, cos brutal FOEs that can eliminate you in an instant will always keep the tension high.

19. VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action: Mixing drinks has never been this fun. Jill's story gyrates between the zany moments that result from serving the many patrons that belly up to the bar, to the emotionally devastating hits when her past comes back to haunt her. Also, Dorothy is best girl.

18. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: A return trip to the Hyrule of A Link to the Past might seem like a easy retread, but this game blazes its own path with new mechanics,  new dungeons, and an open-ended approach to progressing in the game. I must admit that I groaned audibly the first name the name "Lorule" flashed across my screen.

17. Super Mario 3D Land: Simply put, it's the best possible compromise between the play styles of 2D and 3D Mario. There's no shortage of ideas and assets that have appeared in previous games, but their implementation keeps the game feeling fresh. And it was great to see the Tanooki suit again for the first time since SMB3 (even if you couldn't fly or turn into a statue).

16. Kirby’s Return to Dreamland: This was the Kirby game I had been yearning for since Kirby Super Star on the SNES. Tons of abilities (including some screen-clearing "SUPER" versions of some classic powers), snappy controls, and numerous secrets to find, it's undoubtedly one of Kirby's finest adventures.

15. 7th Dragon III: Code VFD: While I still think the name could've used a little work, this is still a very fun, very deep RPG with loads of party customization and a near-endless barrage of dragons to fight. Not to mention the light dating sim elements and the honest to goodness cat cafe the game gives you. What's not to love about that?

14. Super Mario 3D World: Think of everything Super Mario 3D Land had to offer, but pushed to its absolute breaking point AND with multiplayer added on top of all that. Attempting to play this with my brother and his friends was nothing but absolute mayhem. It's a wonder how I didn't end up strangling anyone in the process.

13. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle: Not losing even an ounce of the vulgarity, twisted humor and ultra-violence of the original, Desperate Struggle is everything that a sequel needs to be. The boss fights seal the deal here, from Margaret Moonlight's catchy-as-hell battle theme, to the tear I shed after my encounter with Captain Vladimir.

12. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked: A juiced-up version of the DS original, Devil Survivor Overclocked pulls no punches, and will make you strain and struggle to eke out a victory by the skin of your teeth. If you can endure every nasty trick the game pulls, you'll be rewarded with a gripping story, multiple routes and ending, and of course, sweet and crunchy strategic demon-based combat.

11. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair: Sometimes, you just need to get the hell out of the classroom. The tropical setting provides some relief, but it's not long before the murder resumes and it's back to business as usual. I still wait for the day the Danganronpa Spoilercast happens, cos the riffing on Teruteru will be nothing short of epic.

10. Dark Souls: The word I most associate with this game? Accomplishment. That'll be the prevailing feeling you'll get for each and every little bit of progress you made in Dark Souls. It's beyond satisfying, provided you have the patience to learn the best way forward through every trap, every enemy wave and every boss fight. 

9. Octopath Traveler: It's your classic JRPG, not as they were, but as you used to imagine them. Some take issue that the stories of your 8 character seldom intersect, but the battle system is one of the most engaging I've ever played, not to mention the phenomenal soundtrack and immaculate presentation. Having characters carry little lanterns while exploring caverns and dungeons was a nice touch too.

8. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor: It really stings that this was the last major Treasure release the West ended up getting (ports of Ikaruga to modern consoles notwithstanding). Thankfully, Star Successor was at the very least a great way to bow out. It outclasses the original Sin & Punishment in every conceivable, and its controller setup made it perfect to play on the Wii. 

7. Crypt of the Necrodancer: How do you freshen up the well-worn rougelike formula? Turn it into a rhythm game and slap on a killer soundtrack and a variety of different modes to play through and characters to use. Necrodancer left such a major mark, it's seen crossovers with both Danganronpa AND Zelda (in the form of Cadence of Hyrule). Not bad for an indie developer.

6. 1001 Spikes: Part platformer, part retro-style throwback, 100% unfiltered and unadulterated PAIN. The game hits harder than Aban Hawkins's daddy issues with traps (mostly of the spiky variety) hiding in nearly every block of the forbidden temple you find yourself in. And once you're done with the jungle? Antarctica awaits. It's the most evil ice level in history. Only masochists need apply.

5. Freedom Planet: What started out as a Sonic fan project turned out to be so much more. Freedom Planet felt like a long-lost Sega CD/Saturn platformer that in many ways exceeded any number of the blue hedgehog's own games. Saturated with both action and style, it's an absolute blast to play. I'm glad this is going to be more than a one-off, because that FP2 demo has the makings of something amazing.

4. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony: And then it all came to an end. Fans will be debating for years if the twists and turns present in Danganronpa's (apparent) swan song were a shocking, yet brilliant way to wrap up the series, or the most ostentatious way of telling an audience to royally fuck off. At least we'll always have those trials, and if you still miss all your favorite guys and gals,  V3 has a substantial amount of post-game content to ease your despair.

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2: I remember playing the first real stage of the original Super Mario Galaxy, and my exact words used to describe what I was seeing was "like an acid trip on Christmas Day". As for Galaxy 2, expanded in some areas, streamlined in some others. Regardless, it's still a monster of a game. There's a new idea, new concept, new mechanic to work with in every level. Don't know what else I can say; it's simply amazing.

2. Persona 5: The Persona series at its zenith. As I mentioned in my 2017 Game of the Year list, it's the perfect marriage of both style and substance. Everything from the soundtrack to the artwork used for simple stuff like screen transitions for menus just blows me away. The dungeons are more elaborate than they've ever been and the combat is polished to a reflective sheen. The main cast is the strongest yet, and the villains can be truly loathsome. Incredible.

1. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove: By itself, the original Shovel Knight (Shovel of Hope as it's now known as), would've easily made my top 10 under different circumstances. But having to take into account every additional campaign and extra, there's no way couldn't top my list. There's just so much stellar Shovel Knight content that's been released since 2014. The Plague Knight and Specter Knight campaigns are worthy games in their own right, and I guess people who like card games have the King Knight quest (one which I have yet to complete as of this posting) to satiate them. Far more than simple homages to the 8-bit era, these are games that will stand the test of time.

Last edited by Pauncho Smith (2020-05-13 18:25:10)

#33 2020-03-27 01:30:24

Rhete
Administrator

Pauncho Smith wrote:

8. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

GOD DAMMIT I THOUGHT THIS WAS 2009, but you are right it came out in the west in 2010

Shit.  May honestly edit my 100-90 and bump something xD

#34 2020-03-27 10:30:21

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Rhete wrote:
Pauncho Smith wrote:

GOD DAMMIT I THOUGHT THIS WAS 2009, but you are right it came out in the west in 2010

Oh shit, RIP Mega Man 11 on my list lol.

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#35 2020-03-27 16:44:05

Pauncho Smith

Polly wrote:
Rhete wrote:
Pauncho Smith wrote:

Oh shit, RIP Mega Man 11 on my list lol.

If it's any consolation to either of you, I completely blanked on Dust: An Elysian Tail.

#36 2020-03-29 14:42:54

natedashnite
Some Jerkface
Website

1 School Girl Zombie Hunters

So, when I was going through my separation, it was a really dark time. I felt ugly, I felt unwanted in my own home, and I felt like a failure, a feeling I've had many times before. I would spend days just sitting on the couch debating how many pills of lithium and quetiapine I could take to overdose and end it all. My credit score was tanking because my name was on a car loan my ex wouldn't pay on time, all of my friends were leaving, and I was horrible at trying to sustain any kind of online friendship. Everyone I went on dates with knew my ex and after they realized that, that relationship opportunity would end. At one point I got kicked out of an online group that played DBD and Friday the 13th because I got into an argument over why Solo failed, which was stupid, but the guy basically said it was him or me and they chose him.

I felt like I had nothing and devolved into a thought process that was familiar, one where since I felt like life wasn't getting better so why not just end it. Who would care, right? I mean, my brother's in jail for murder and I can't even find someone to go out drinking with, and I didn't want to go out alone.

I decided I was going to take my sleeping pills and drown myself in the bath, which was not something I had tried before. On my way to the bathroom, I passed by my PS4 game collection, most of the games on there I had never played and just bought on a whim when a title caught my eye. "What the fuck is School Girl Zombie Hunters?" I decided to try it, it's not technically a good game, it's not technically an amazingly bad game like Sonic 06 or Ride to Hell: Retribution, but it is a game that has made me laugh, made me giggle, and never fails to put me in a happy and optimistic mood.

You throw your damn dirty underwear at zombies to distract them while you shoot rockets at them. This is my game of the decade because it's done what almost no video game has ever done for me: It's made me feel alive and like I want to keep on going.

2 NieR: Automata

NieR: Automata is a game by an evil genius who got paired up with a studio known for frantic and tight action and pulling it off. It's a game about what it means to play video games, what it means to live, and how to find optimism when life seems pointless. It is a "nier-perfect" game (hold for laughter) that embraces its strengths and, at times, looks better than most games on the next gen platforms will look.

3 FE

FE or Fe or fe...one of those, is an exploration adventure that starts off with your character, Fe or FE or-whatever, as he finds himself alone with all his friends gone. He must go and find them and save them from mysterious, alien creatures while befriending new ones. It's gorgeous to look at with its style and lighting system, it's fun to explore in the world, and is a game you can get lost in.

4 Lethal League Blaze

Lethal League was good, Blaze knocks it out of the park, though. In the days where Smash feels like it's getting slower and kinda more casual in design, LLB comes in with a simple to learn, hard to master system of "wall ball" but you die. Colorful characters who play different, multiple options for different ways to play (including no health bar mode like the original) all mean it's a fast and fun party game.

5 Friday the 13th: The Movie: The Game

Yeah, it's glitchy, yeah it's hardly getting any support and there's no future updates of content, but I have never had a better time when it comes to an online-multiplayer game than with Friday the 13th. In fact, I don't think I would ever even have tried other multi-player games without it. It has the scares, it has the balance, and, for a while, it had a bunch of geeks joining together to make dumb jokes and pretend Jason was a pretty princess who just wanted to give you hugs (of death).

6 The Kore Gang

I was one hour into The Kore Gang, it was getting repetitive and boring, and then, out of nowhere, this musical number for the boss came up and I immediately knew this was a game by a studio I needed to look into. It's fun, funny, it's more of a throwback to the old Rare days than YL. I really wish there were easier ways to play it than just on Wii.

7 Earth Defense Force 4.1

You will never feel like a majestic swan like when you sing "Ave Maria" while you launch a giant ant into the air and the game stutters to try and hold its frame rate. EDF is a game where you are God, and God has a rocket launcher and a tank that drops from the air-strike that, God summons a giant mech to fight giant ants and spider and crap. The amount of just pure joy and fun this game can instill if you love cult and grindhouse films is second to none, and I really hope they keep on making this series until I'm dead.

8 Culdcept Revolt

So this game is Monopoly mixed with Magic the Gathering. I can't pitch it any better, I love this game, probably the last 3DS game I'll ever own, and it's an explosion of fun.

9 Dead By Daylight

Dead by Daylight has a lot of content and a lot of fan service for the horror community, which is good, because at its core, it's just generator repair simulator. The fun comes from being with a group of friends and repairing generators, and the wacky slapstick-ish shenanigans that occur trying to get friends off hooks and into your heart. Not as scary as Friday the 13th, but it's much more frantic for a similar scenario.

10 Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale

This is one of the best and most joyous "nostalgic" games I've ever played, and I mean nostalgic in a way that it's clearly inspired by the creator's youth, playing with monster cards and his love of Godzilla-like monsters. It's sweet, it's fun, and I have all the best cards, so I'll beat everyone! MUAHAHAHA!

11 Polly Dungeon

Polly Dungeon, like Polly, is a mad-dash of charismatic charm wrapped up in a slick package and something I want more of. Thank goodness there's two podcasts now.

12 Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

This was my favorite Final Fantasy game, but we never got the Zodiac system over in the west, UNTIL NOW! It's way superior and I still love seeing what a Numbered Final Fantasy from the Vagrant Story team looks like, and it's soooo good, like, the tech aspects and how it ran on the PS2 was just amazing. UGH! Why didn't we get this until now? Bastards.

13 Deadly Premonition

Sole Explanation

14 Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

Castle of Illusion was a game I loved as a child and hearing Sega was going to reimagine it was exciting. What came out was a game that was full of love for the original by the people who loved it. It's probably the best remake/reimagining ever, and I really wish more people had played it so we could've got a Quackshot remake.

15 Disney Ducktails Remastered

This was the other nostalgic remake, although I never played the original. I really do appreciate how much was put into it, from the original voice cast to the easter eggs, it's not perfect, but there's love in there.

16 Lollipop Chainsaw

I think the best part in the game was the "Lawn Mower" part where you mow over zombies with the combine while "You Spin Me Right Round (Like a Record) by Dead of Alive plays. It's a game that my humor is just right there with. It's over the top and I loved every second of it.

17 Resident Evil 7

After a few...meh games, we finally got a good evolution of the series, and it ended up being the perfect thing to REinvigorate the series. You could say it's REvolutionary in it's design and was the first time the series actually made me scared to continue.

18 Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

The 3DS really needed more RTS games featured demonic Pokemons trying to kill Satan. That's all I'm saying.

19 Pokemon Go!

I'm just gonna leave this here, it's the most social I've been in my life and slowly getting to that place where it's like "maybe people do kinda like me" while throwing balls at things.

20 Rez Infinite

Rez is probably my favorite rhythm game of all time, and it's HD remake-ish and the inclusion of a new world with VR support is perfect. Possibly the best use of VR I've experienced for an amazing game.

21 Resident Evil 2 (REmake)

So, never played RE2 growing up, and I gotta say, I don’t think I need to play the original. This one is amazing, scary, intense, and just a little silly right where it needs to be. It’s great that they’re revisiting the series, but I also want to see what they do with the continuation, after all we had like 69 ports of 4, do we really need a 4make?

22 P.T.

It would be really cool if this magically or accidentally went back up in the store for Halloween…Please? My PS4 crashed, I lost it…

23 Astral Chain

Who knew a Switch game could kick this much ass. Even though there is a teensy bit of lag, I don’t think that there’s a game that runs this smooth with this much action piled onto a console like the Switch.

24 Pony Island

If you haven’t played this game, go in blind. I don’t wanna say anything else about it. It’s a great experience.

25 Her Lullaby

I think this is one of the only times I’ve really gotten into a game like this before, and the less I say the more justice I hope it does to those who try it for the first time.

26 Stick it to the Man

Oh boy, so this is an adventure/puzzle game about a guy who has a giant purple sticky hand growing out of his head. It’s like a Lucas Arts adventure game but made by different people. This is what games by Double Fine should’ve been like.

27 Remothered: Tormented Fathers

Hey, here’s a game that has made me scared as crap playing it. It’s really intense, and I kept getting told it’s easier than I’m making it, but I just want to stay in for 5 more minutes and then I’ll go-aaaand, I’m dead. God, this game is such scary fun.

28 Zombie Vikings

Zombie Vikings is Castle Crashers done right. It’s a comedy beat-em-up with comical weapons, a joke of a story (Loki steals Zeus’ eye, so he resurrects zombies to go get it back) and while it’s definitely flawed and you can break the game, it’s got a fun, fast pace, and you can unlock an early tech demo of FE!

29 Pix the Cat

You know, Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Blah Blah Blah really is not as good as I remember, but I don’t think it should’ve tanked the company that made it. Luckily, out of their ashes we got this game and it’s a quick puzzle game and I love it.

30 Puyo Puyo Tetris

Speaking of puzzle games I love, this game combines the fun of Puyo Puyo with the blocks of Tetris. It’s way more fun than I could make it sound.

31 West of Loathing

This game is just me in a game. Like, it’s my humor, my love of stick figures, I should probably just sue them, but it’s such a good avant-garde RPG…

32 Pushmo World

Pushmo might be dead but this is a great game nonetheless. For some reason this type of puzzle hasn’t really been used all that often, and I think it should. Pollymo would be a great continuation.

33 Rodea the Sky Soldier

Ok, so this is for the Wii version, but the Wii version is bundled with the Wii U version but not all Wii U versions so watch out for that, because the Wii U version is a port of the 3DS version because even though the Wii version was finished it got scrapped because the 3DS version took so long.

Got it? Cool. Happy hunting.

34 Monster Prom

You know, I always wanted a multi-player dating game, and sometimes the world listens to me.

35 Outer Worlds

Like Fallout 4 but with personality. I seriously always wondered why none of your companions were cynical assholes in Fallout 4, because everyone just seemed middle-of-the-road, well I got my wish and it’s a great game as well! I hope we get another one.

36 The Evil Within 2

Yeah, I really like some of the aesthetics and creativity even if it’s not that scary.

37 Dead Cells

The Frezno of Video Games: Perfect and keeps me going back for more.

38 Pokemon Sword/Shield

I already talked about the existential dread of this game and how it’s the perfect allegory for growing up, so there you have it. Go discover nihilism in a Pokemon game.

39 Infamous: Second Son

I’m really glad someone made a spiritual successor to Spider-Man 2 for PS2, because we’d never get a proper Spider-Man game otherwise.

40 Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Chaotic fun.

41 Little Inferno

This was a week of my life, nice little combo puzzle with a grim atmosphere and a catchy theme song.

42 Steamworld Quest

Like Baten Kaitos but fun.

43 Devil May Cry 5

You know, DMC Devil May Cry had it’s moment, specifically the moment where Dante was naked in the trailer. I feel like that scene was made into a longer game and this is that game.

44 Jackbox Party 3

PARTAY!

45 Splatoon 2

Is Squidicide a word? Well, anyway, never has gang turf wars been so colorful and creative, leave it to Nintendo to take the idea of graffiti to the new level by having pre-teens destroy stages for no discernible reason and make it fast-paced fun. Still wish it had a better single player.

46 RPG Maker MV

We’ll see how Frezno’s Christmas Adventure comes out.

47 Golf Story

I didn’t think I would like this game so much, but it surprised me and it’s really, really a good argument for golf being actually decent.

48 Rhythm Thief & The Emperor’s Treasure

Here’s one no one remembers! A tight and fun action rhythm game that flopped and is now fading into obscurity.

49 Knights of Pen and Paper

It’s nice to have a fully customizable party in a more traditional RPG, like the old Final Fantasy games for the gameboy or the Four Warriors of Light, but with a bit of humor behind it.

50 Chroma Squad

A love letter to Super Sentai and a pretty good RTS that excels at what it set out to do. With there was a bit more opportunity to grind though.

51 Super Smash Bros Ultimate

The game that brought back the Ice Climbers.

52 Party Hard

Sometimes you want to just party, but sometimes you want to…PARTY HARD! This game is a stealth puzzle game where you play as a murderer who just wants some peace and quiet, so you take it upon yourself to murder everyone at the loud party. It can be fun, it can be insane, it can be anything you want it to be.

53  Rayman Legends

It’s nice to have a un unique 2D platformer once in a while that isn’t a Mario.

54 Until Dawn

An interesting way to tell a story, but not much variety in the endings.

55 You Don’t Know Jack

The only flaw of this game is that there’s not a newer version out there with more sarcastic jabs.

56 Guilty Party

Someone said “What if Disney made a version of Clue?” and, you know what? It works way too well. Kinda sad this game never caught on.

57 Shin Megami Tensei IV

A really ambitious game for the 3DS with some of the best graphics on the system. The biggest drawback was the “morality” system but SMTIV delivered on a story big enough for an at-home console, but on a handheld.

58 Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

The same as it’s older brother, SMTIV, but with a different style, and slightly different execution.

59 Digimon Cybersleuth Story

Finally, after years of being scared by the end of Digimon Tamers, you can finally bring back Gilmon and go kick more butt. It’s like someone read my fan fiction…

60 Katamari Reroll

Meditative, relaxing, and a really great game to play on rainy days of introspection.

61 Wonderful 101

A good spiritual sequel to Viewtiful Joe while being its own thing. It’s colorful, it’s crazy, and now it’s getting released onto more consoles than just the Wii U.

62 Mortal Combat Reboot

I’m going to be honest, most of the guy in this are hot. This is basically just eye candy for me. Also I kicked ass during Game Night in college.

63 Sonic Mania

You know, for a brief moment in time, we got a really good Sonic game and things looked up, and then, fairly quickly, Sega screwed it up and now we’re back to hoping they do something decent again.

64 Sonic Generations

You know, for a brief moment in time, we got a really good Sonic game and things looked up, and then, fairly quickly, Sega screwed it up and now we’re back to hoping they do something decent again.

65 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

I really miss this series.

66 Fortune Street

You know how everyone hates Monopoly? Well, what about Monopoly with Mario and Final Fantasy characters? See, instant classic.

67 Uncanny Valley

An interesting pixelated mystery game, I need to go play through it a second time.

68 Pid

Didn’t Rhete play this back in the day? Oh well, Pid is a game that is hard, that you will be frustrated with, but you will feel so satisfied when you beat that thing that you want to continue, and that’s a good feeling.

69 Bayonetta 2

Nice.

70 Kero Blaster

A tighter Cave Story.

71 Monster Hunter: World

Ok, so what if we mixed Shadow of the Colossus with Barney the Dinosaur? Boom.

72 My Name is Mayo

This is either the dumbest or most introspective game of the decade, I have no idea which one.

73 Nintendo Land

I’m kinda sad we didn’t get a sequel on the Switch, but a fun showcase of what the Wii U could’ve done.

74 Vanquish

It’s another Platinum game, so take a shot.

75 Yakuza Zero

I think Yakuza is the best Shenmu can get, and come out in a shorter amount of time.

76 Anarcute

A cute game about anarchy and overthrowing corrupt governments, which would be anger-inducing and intense, if THEY WEREN’T SO CURE, AWW, WHO IS A CURE ANARCHIST?! YOU ARE!

77 Star Ocean for PS4

This was put here as a partial joke.

78 Pikmin 3

Throwing small children at giant plant monsters has never been so fun.

79 Heart&Slash

I loved this game more than I thought I would, but it’s kinda far down the list because it’s a bit…unfinished, or at least feels that way.

80 ZombiU

The greatest horror game for the Wii U, made perfectly for the system and utilizing it’s hard drive and dual-screen system. Not as good on the PS4, but still a good time.

81 Night in the Woods

Uhhhhhh, this game spoke to me a lot about mental health and bipolar disorder, and then everything got fucked up with the information of what happened behind the scenes, but I think it’s more on this list for the people it connected with, like me, and the graphic design and look of it.

82 Saturday Morning RPG

It’s a fun indie RPG with some interesting ideas, unfortunately it ended on a cliffhanger and the studio no longer makes games, so fuck me.

83 Tetris 99

I’m actually kinda impressed that they made Tetris innovative again.

84 NES Remix

Proving remixed nostalgia sells and can be fun.

85 Flipping Death

While it’s not as tight as Stick it to the Man, it’s by the same company and has a similar feel. Wish it was easier to hone in on the idea they present, but still a great follow-up.

86 VVVVVVV

Man, remember this game? It’s short, indie, drives you crazy at some parts, it’s just a good little thing you can go back and enjoy on multiple platforms.

87 Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Yeah. It’s a fun game, but a little bit short on content.

88 Deadpool: The Game

A budget title with lots of fart jokes…which I’m sad to say made me giggle. Truly the strength of this game was putting it’s developer out of business.

89 No More Heroes 2

It fixed a bunch of the problems of the original, was still fun and wacky, but it felt like ti was missing something the original had.

90 Runbow

The perfect party game that you remember and go “oh man, I should’ve suggested that” after the party is dead.

91 Borderlands 2

Finally, a first person shooter with some personality and a healthy dose of cynicism.

92 Travis Strikes Again

It’s more fun with multiple people and just shows off how big of a geek Suda51 is.

93 Game Dev Tycoon

A short and sweet game by a small publisher that you should revisit right now.

94 Project X Zone 2

You know, this was an interesting kinda RTS game, I’m sad we haven’t gotten a third one yet.

95 Queers in love at the End of the World

I needed a game that started with Q and this was the only one I had played.

96 The Cave

I wish this game had succeeded because what worked, especially the co-op aspect of an adventure game, was pretty fun. But, because it didn’t do well, we’re stuck with an interesting tech demo.

97 X-Men: Destiny

So, one of the few illegal games out there that you can own. I mean, what’s better than feeling edgy for owning a thing that’s illegal to sell?

98 Ride to Hell: Retribution

While there are certainly worse games that came out this decade, specifically Celeste, no game was more fun to break. This is the 2010’s Sonic 06, it brings me nothing but joy to break the game and watch the glitches fly.

99 Canyon Capers

Ok, so we’re kinda responsible for this, so we have to acknowledge it. They blatantly said we were responsible for LPing it on their website, so this is our game.

"(Dino Jnr. in Canyon Capers) had a groundswell of following on the emulation scene, as well as a number of gamer's rediscovering the game on YouTube, with play-through videos and some fantastic nostalgic feedback.

After seeing this love for the long lost game, the original Artcrew team now reformed as Crazy Moo Games have decided it is time to give the game a full makeover, paying full homage to the original, but now with seven new characters to unlock, loads more levels and worlds, new game modes and a plethora of new adversaries, pickups and secrets."

Maybe I should've put this higher, just because we technically made a game together.

100 Persona Q

While having a system that calls back to Strange Journey, it was interesting to see a seemingly dlc pack idea turned into a full game and was a crossover that was done differently than I think anyone expected.

Ciao,
-Nate

Last edited by natedashnite (2020-05-10 11:32:28)

Switch: SW-6268-69150691
PSN: natedashnite

#37 2020-03-29 18:27:33

Rhete
Administrator

Err, ranking your list is important for me to be able to score and tally up the final list

Edit: Thank you, beautiful list!

#38 2020-03-30 09:33:58

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Thanks for ordering 'em Nate!

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#39 2020-04-20 16:30:54

Rhete
Administrator

Sorry for being quiet on this topic, wasn't feeling it for several weeks given the whole world situation and all.  But we're back on!  With a deadline this time!  Obviously "early" April wasn't happening and I don't want to drop a deadline too close so...

MAY 10th

Get your final lists in by then please thank you <3 <3 <3  You got about 3 weeks from the time of this post

#40 2020-04-22 16:01:35

Rhete
Administrator

Looking through the lists that have been submitted thus far, and I did not realize how many of them are already complete.  Great job everyone!

Looks like just myself, John, and Zeloz have yet to finish our lists, and Zeloz is way closer than me or John.  I'd still love to see more submissions though!

#41 2020-04-27 08:05:04

Rainiac

This was originally going to be a Top 100, but I realised I didn't have anything particuarly interesting to say about many of the games at the lower end of my list or they were in there simply to get to the hundred, so I pared it down to a nice round 50.

Rainiac's Games of the Decade - #50 to #26

#50 The Legacy of Dark Witch

MegaMan meets Gradius, with presentation that wouldn’t feel out of place in a Touhou title. The final boss is an exercise in patience, and finally defeating her was very satisfying. Being able to play through the game again as the final boss is a nice bonus.

#49 Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

The combat is fast, the transitions between teammates are seamless, and the over the top supers are immense fun to pull off. Everything Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite got wrong, this game got right, even if some players were put off by the absence of several series staples, such as Mega Man & Cyclops.

#48 Tricky Towers

Tetris re-envisioned as a madcap party game. The single player is perfectly serviceable, but the multiplayer is where this really shines, particularly when Mario Kart-style items are thrown into the mix and the players have to adapt accordingly.

#47 Renowned Explorers: International Society

Clever turn-based strategy game with an innovative combat system centred around emotions. The choices you make in each battle greatly affects how each game plays out. With over 20 different explorers to unlock and dozens of potential scenarios to play through, there’s a lot of replay value.

#46 Double Dragon Neon

The gameplay is not nearly as janky as older entries in the series. The combat is nice and crunchy (although some slight input delay on dodging can make things tougher than they perhaps should be), and antagonist Skullmageddon is loaded with personality. I won’t spoil the surprise if you don’t already know what happens, but the end credits left me with a huge smile on my face.

#45 Fire Pro Wrestling World

The best wrasslin’ game released this decade. You feel the impact of every move you manage to pull off, even if the controls can take some getting used to compared to the more simplistic controls of, say, 2K Games’ numerous WWE titles. An exhaustive create-a-wrestler system ensures that the only limit to your enjoyment will be the scope of your imagination.

#44 Shutshimi

A side-scrolling shooter starring a musclebound fish that carries a machine gun. The Stop-Choose a Powerup-Resume nature of the gameplay draws comparisons with Wario Ware, and the pace speeds up and slows down just when it should.

#43 Bastion

Along with Super Meat Boy, Bastion is probably the game most responsible for the Independent scene taking off as much as it did in the past decade. The story isn’t anything groundbreaking, but the gameplay is excellent and the game really nails how to handle a silent protagonist.

#42 Pit People

A turn-based strategy game infused with the kind of humour Behemoth has become infamous for at this point. The core gameplay is competently put together, it’s just a shame the online multiplayer feels like a bit of a tacked-on afterthought.

#41 Party Hard

Similar to Hotline Miami in terms of atmosphere, though not as stylistically violent. The various traps are fun to set up and use on your unsuspecting victims, but the fact that it’s impossible to complete some of the game’s levels with some of the unlockable killers stops it from being better than it could be.

#40 Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

The classic gameplay of 1980s Pac-Man given an injection of steroids and a pumping techno soundtrack. Plowing through lines of ghosts after ingesting a Power Pill is hugely satisfying, and the game lends itself to time trials very well too.

#39 Cuphead

The art style and presentation is fantastic, and the soundtrack will have your toes bopping as you face off against dozens of hugely creative boss battles. One of those games that takes great delight in killing you, yet you somehow can’t help but keep coming back until you’re successful.

#38 Life Goes On

This morbidly enjoyable puzzle-platformer has you intentionally sending a knight to their doom, then using their dead body to help their replacement get past the obstacle that just killed their comrade. The various puzzles are intuitive, and the game’s dark humour shines through the screen. An underrated gem.

#37 DiveKick

A fighting game that accomplished with two buttons what most other fighters can’t pull off with twelve. Boiling the fighting mechanics down to the barest minimum really allowed the devs to focus on the actual combat, a decision that pays off big time. The netcode is excellent too.

#36 Super Meat Boy

Like Cuphead, Super Meat Boy takes great delight in brutally murdering you, but you keep coming back for more. The game’s darkly comic cutscenes add quite a lot to the proceedings, and the controls are tight and satisfying.

#35 The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Far superior to the original version, which never really clicked for me. It perhaps had one update too many, but the core gameplay is very solid. RNG plays a huge part in whether your bid to reach the end of the game is successful or not, but individual skill is also a factor, an important balancing act that not all rogue-lites pull off as deftly as this one.

#34 Darkest Dungeon

This game gave me a panic attack when I first played it, but don’t hold that against it. The game’s haunting atmosphere is perfectly realised. It hurts to lose your first party member, but in many ways it feels like a necessary rite of passage.

#33 Snakebird

Behind its cutesy exterior lies the beating heart of a killer. It suckers you in with its colourful presentation, then kicks you in the balls repeatedly. Things get especially crazy when you’re controlling three Snakebirds in one puzzle.

#32 Foul Play

Side scrolling brawler set in Victorian times. The game is presented as a stage play about the main character’s ‘real-life’ adventures hunting demons across the globe. The quirky presentation combined with well-implemented combat makes this a beat em up that more people should be aware of.

#31 Shantae: Risky's Revenge

The weakest of the three Shantae games released this past decade but still pretty good. It feels at times like Matt Bozon was still finding his feet in the platform game world and the transformations aren’t always implemented optimally but the game’s writing is excellent and the core cast are extremely charming (Rottytops is best girl).

#30 100% Orange Juice

If you can tolerate the cutesy anime presentation, this is a solid card-based party board game that can have the unfortunately side effect of destroying friendships. Still being updated with new characters, cards, events and game modes despite coming out in 2013.

#29 Tetris 99

Who would have thought that Tetris and battle royale would mesh together so well? Each round starts out at a relatively relaxed pace, but gradually ramps things up until your brain is practically screaming. Finally obtaining that elusive Tetris Maximus was one of my biggest gaming accomplishments of the entire decade.

#28 Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

A worthy remaster of the original Castle of Illusion, and one which sadly flew under the radar of a lot of people when it first came out. The souped-up graphics and use of 3D roaming in certain areas enhance the overall experience rather than detract from it.

#27 Limbo

Short in duration but its spooky atmosphere and a wonderfully orchestrated encounter with a giant spider ensure it will live long in the memory. The hidden area that robs you of your sight entirely and forces you to rely on audio cues alone is genius.

#26 One Finger Death Punch

It’s like playing through one of those stick figure battle animations that were tremendously popular on sites like Newgrounds back in the day. A simple premise and even simpler controls, but it’s a tremendously fun experience that really hits the mark in spite of its low budget presentation.

Never cruel or cowardly

#42 2020-04-27 08:34:52

Rainiac

Rainiac's Games of the Decade - #25 to #1

#25 Mortal Kombat (2011)

The entry that breathed new life into a series that was dying on its feet. Netherrealm went back to their roots with both the gameplay and the game’s setting and both decisions paid off big time. The substantial single player campaign is a glorious nostalgia tour through the franchise’s illustrious past.

#24 DuckTales: Remastered

A classic NES platformer given a fresh coat of paint in the form of vibrant cartoon-style animation. The original voice cast return to give the game an aura of authenticity, and the core gameplay is still excellent 25 years after the initial release. The game is available to purchase digitally again after being delisted for a time, which is good news.

#23 Freedom Planet

Freedom Planet The best Sonic game in over 15 years at the time of its release (apart from Sonic Generations), despite having nothing to do with the speedy blue hedgehog. Blasting through the various levels is great fun, and the final climatic showdown with evil mastermind Lord Brevon really gets the blood pumping. Eagerly anticipating the sequel… whenever it comes out.

#22 Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition

Another one of those puzzle platformers that is easy enough to casually play through, but the real meat of the game lies in trying to beat all the target times. 'Accidentally' sending Patricia Wagon slamming into the screen is oddly satisfying (even though it costs you a heart each time it happens)

#21 Bit. Trip Presents Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Rhythm-based games live or die based on their controls: Runner2’s controls are solid as a rock. If you take a hit, it’s because you didn’t react fast enough or you weren’t paying close enough attention. The graphical upgrade over the first Runner game really elevates it too.

#20 Skullgirls

Skullgirls doesn’t boast as many characters as other prominent fighting games released this decade, but it’s very much a case of quality over quantity, as each of the available fighters is colourful, varied and loaded to the brim with personality. Special mention to Big Band, who plays his opponents a tune using the various instruments welded to his body, then smashes their face off with a Level 3 Super.

#19 Gunpoint

Dark and brooding stealth-based puzzle game built around the clever concept of being able to rewire various elements of the level: a light switch can be made to open a locked door for example, and that’s only the tip of the iceberg. Takes full advantage of the idea that there is no one ‘correct’ way to beat each of the game’s levels.

#18 Downwell

This game occupied all my lunch breaks for three months after I first picked it up. Fast paced arcade-style action with a steep but fair difficulty curve. Extremely addictive too: you’ll keep coming back for one more go until you finally beat it.

#17 Zero Escape: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors (Nonary Games Edition)

Not quite as engaging as its sequels but the Nonary Game concept is intriguing, the various puzzles are well-implemented and the voice acting is stellar. Richard Epcar stands out in particular as the mysterious Ace.

#16 Shantae: Half Genie Hero

Contains some of the best boss battles in the series to date. The transformation system makes a return and is handled much better than Risky’s Revenge on the whole. The transition from sprites to hand-drawn animation was jarring for some but I feel it’s a logical step up.

#15 DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

The game that started it all. Excellently written characters, well-plotted murder mysteries and an overarching storyline that is just bonkers. The post-game content isn’t much to write home about but that’s a minor nitpick. And the series somehow got even better from here.

#14 Contradiction: Spot The Liar!

Clever and witty FMV murder mystery conceived by legendary video game composer Tim Follin. Inspector Jenks is an easy protagonist to root for and the acting rarely falls into cheesiness. The late great Paul Darrow steals the show as the menacing owner of a ‘business course’ that may or may not be the front for a sinister cult. We'll probably never get the planned sequel now, which is a great shame.

#13 VVVVVV

Manipulating gravity never felt so good. Finding all 20 trinkets and getting the true ending of the game feels like a real accomplishment. The infamous Veni Vidi Vici is aptly named, as you really do feel like a conquerer when you finally overcome it.

#12 Super Smash Bros Ultimate

The Super Smash Bros games have always been well designed and this definitive version is no exception. With over 70 characters and counting, 100+ stages and a whole lot more besides, this is absolutely stuffed to the gills with content and that mad man Sakurai just keeps on adding more. We’re all extremely grateful for your efforts Mr Sakurai but please, take a rest some day, I'm begging you.

#11 GuacaMelee!

Part Metroidvania non-linear action adventure game, part old-school brawler. Making the setting for the game contemporary Mexico was an inspired decision, as busting out meaty wrestling moves as a luchadore to pummel the undead is a lot of fun.

#10 Cave Story+

The original Cave Story was an all-time classic, then they somehow managed to improve upon perfection. Great story, great gameplay, with some truly memorable set pieces and boss fights, all set to a fantastic soundtrack.

#9 Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward

Takes the insanity of 999, cranks it up to 11 and adds in a half-adorable, half obnoxious host of the Nonary Game in Zero III (I wonder where they got that idea from). The revelations presented at the end of the game means that I can’t wait to see where things go from here whenever I get around to Zero Time Dilemma.

#8 Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

The best of the Shantae games ditches the transformations from Risky’s Revenge, replaces them with much more enjoyable abilities borrowed from Shantae’s nemesis Risky Boots and proceeds to reap the rewards. The writing is fantastic throughout.

#7 Undertale

Truly groundbreaking. The various NPCs you encounter on your journey are all charming in their own ways and I defy you to play this and not take a shine to at least one of them. As a self-proclaimed completionist, I’m not ashamed to admit that I chickened out of the Genocide Run because the guilt I felt slaughtering the creatures I’d previously befriended became too much to bear: that’s the raw power of Undertale.

#6 DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair

DanganRonpa 2 takes a long hard look at the first game and then loudly proclaims “Hold my beer”. Chapter 5 is unforgettable, as are several of the classmates thanks to a combination of superb writing, brilliant voice acting and fantastic character design. For years I thought the series couldn’t get any better than this: I was mistaken…

#5 Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight

Many titles have tried to translate Dark Souls to a 2D plain, but Reverie stands at the top of the heap, and is a testament to the fact that a game doesn’t need to possess flashy, state of the art graphics to look pretty. Challenging, especially on higher difficulties, but oh so satisfying when everything clicks into place and you successfully beat it.

#4 Spelunky HD

One of the best rogue-lites ever made. There is little better in terms of catharsis than finally completing the fabled Hell Run after countless attempts times trying and failing. Occasionally your deaths feel unfair, but more often than not you simply weren’t paying close enough attention to your surroundings.

#3 Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Five games in one, and all of them are great (except for Showdown, but we don’t talk about Showdown round these parts). A loving tribute to retro games of days gone by that also feels entirely fresh and original. All of the playable characters handle really well, especially Spectre Knight. A must-have for any platform game fan.

#2 Crypt of the Necrodancer

There’s no way rhythm games and dungeon crawlers should go together as well as this but Crypt of the Necrodancer pulls it off with panache. Moving with the beat of the music feels very organic and you can easily find yourself playing for hours at a time without getting bored.

#1 DanganRonpa V3: Killing Harmony

The shock twist at the end of Chapter 1 ripped my still-beating heart out of its chest and the following five took turns stomping it into a bloody pancake. The ending has divided critics on whether it needlessly destroyed everything the franchise had built previously or was an ingenious commentary on the nature of our relationship with fiction: I personally very much fall into the second camp. This game awakened feelings in me I didn’t know I had before, no other game released this past decade can claim that accolade.

Last edited by Rainiac (2020-04-27 11:11:41)

Never cruel or cowardly

#43 2020-05-05 04:21:06

Rhete
Administrator

Ok I'm finally writing my blurbs for real...  restarting cuz it's been so long

#100 - Renegade Ops
Explosions: The game.  If you're not using the character with the air strike you're playing this wrong.  Great mindless fun.

#99 - Tetris 99
Battle Royale Tetris is an idea that absolutely should not work but somehow does.  This game is intense and vicious, multiple players ganging up to drop garbage blocks on you is scary, but it also multiplies your ability to throw garbage back at them.  As players get knocked out the speed and music keep getting faster, and the intensity when there are only 10 or fewer people left is absolutely insane.

#98 - Ittle Dew
An absolutely adorable Zelda inspired puzzle game.  The twist is that while there are three items you can get, only any two are actually required finish the game.  Intentionally skipping one of the three items forces you to find alternate solutions to puzzles, which makes replaying the game several times stay a fresh experience.

#97 - Horizon Zero Dawn
I really enjoyed the story in this game, it's about a group of people who knew that the world was going to end, and their last ditch efforts to save it.  I almost always ignore text and audio logs in games, but in this one I sought them out as much as I could.  Ancient ruins actually felt like they should, as the game would forgo combat for a while and just let you explore and absorb the story.

#96 - Binary Domain
This is basically the 3D Contra game that never materialized.  Shooting robots into bits remains fun the entire time, and the bosses are huge and over the top.  The story is pretty good as well, though I didn't like how you can suddenly find yourself at a bad ending depending on how much your teammates like you.

#95 - Rayman Legends
While the game that came before this, Rayman Origins, deserves a lot of credit for setting the stage, Legends did a ton to distinguish itself.  New playable characters, including *gasp* a girl, was greatly appreciated.  The music stages are an absolute delight and probably the best part of both games.  Heck I even really enjoyed the Murfy stages, having control over a second character through a single button press adds new layer of reflex and timing that I'd like to see other platformers try their hand at.

#94 - Hotline Miami
The game that basically invented a new subgenre of techno + violence.  No matter how many times you die in the ultra fast mayhem of violence that is this game, the JAMMING soundtrack will keep you coming back for more.

#93 - Tales from the Borderlands: A Telltale Game Series
This game is so good that you don't have to like Borderlands to enjoy it.  Heck you could probably HATE Borderlands and still enjoy it.  Funny as hell with a great cast of characters, incredible style, and a huge dumb over the top ending that ALSO made it feel like my choices mattered!

#92 - Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
This is an odd game because I feel it could've been so much better, but I really enjoyed it for what it was.  The story is light and breezy, with tons of fanservice, and the strategy gameplay is a weird mix of busted and extremely fun to exploit.  My primary strategy was having everyone gather around my primary mage, Poona, and kiss her repeatedly (because yes, this is a game where your units can kiss each other in battle to gain power, take THAT Fire Emblem) to have her drop huge AOE attacks nearly every turn.  My primary memory of this game though, is the finale where your entire squad breaks into four teams, and thus you're suddenly tasked with using every single character you've accrued along the way.  It was difficult as hell and I only just barely survived the fourth round, having absolutely no idea if the game was saving between each one or if death was going to mean restarting the entire thing over.

#91 - Tetris Effect
This is a Tetris game that you can play in VR and it's freaking amazing.  The final level is so good that I can only call it a transcendent experience, and it's made me cry almost every time I've played it.

#90 - Iconoclasts
A gorgeous 2D action explorey game with a story that just goes for it.  This is one of the games that made me realize that millennials don't just see the end of the world as a far off worry, they know it's already here.

#89 - Spec Ops: The Line
An emotionally devastating third person shooter that definitely isn't fun to play, but absolutely worth experiencing.

#88 - Double Spoiler ~ Touhou Bunkachou
Shoot the Bullet was one of the most inventive shmups I've ever played, arming you with a camera and tasking you to take photos of the bosses instead of shooting them down.  This sequel delivers more of what made the first game great, without quite so much of the absolutely hair pulling difficulty this time.

#87 - Bastion
While the gameplay is a little basic, the amazing voice acting, music, and story easily carry this title to greatness.

#86 - Rogue Legacy
This game just feels so damn GOOD and TIGHT.  While it's definitely possible to mash your way to victory by leveling up, Rogue Legacy has the chops to stand as an action game as well, as the ultra hard super bosses that they added later on show.

#85 - Super Meat Boy
Platforming perfection.  While it wasn't the first to do this, for me it really codified a new style of ultra hard game with incredibly fast restarts, and super short levels.  Dying almost never feels bad because you're rarely more than a few seconds from the start of the level.

#84 - The Swapper
One of those games I feel never quite got it's due, possibly due to it being in a genre people got tired of quickly, the 2D Puzzle Platformer.  But for me The Swapper had it all, a great unique gameplay gimmick involving cloning yourself, a unique as hell art style with everything in the game being made out of clay, and a haunting piano soundtrack that I've listened to outside the game many times.

#83 - Antichamber
Mind bending puzzle game that frequently makes you think outside of the box.  Almost everything about this game, the mood, the logic, and the visual style, still feels unique years later.

#82 - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
A fun as hell racing game and nearly endless Sega fanservice.  I mean for gods sake this game has Burning Rangers level!

#81 - Helen's Mysterious Castle
While Helen's Mysterious Castle tells a very cute and great little story, what stuck out most to me was its incredible delay based combat system that lets you know exactly how long each attack is going to come out, allowing for much more strategy that I've ever seen in a JRPG where you only control one character.  It was inspiring to me, both wanting to rip it off shamelessly for my own game, and also wondering what the heck a party based version would look like.

#80 - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
The best Shantate game, there I said it.  Genie transformations are fine but the pirate abilities in this game are just so much more fun, and able to be strung and comboed together in ways that feel really good, and you could never do with stopping to dance and transform in the other games.  Also this game is just... ridiculously thirsty in a way I did not expect.

#79 - Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones
Something just clicked for me with this game in a way the original didn't.  Stealth Inc. 2 focuses a lot on unique tools, which all feel great to use.   Exploring the main hub with the tools you unlock from levels was a twist I really enjoyed.  Just a very solid and satisfying game overall.

#78 - Assault Android Cactus
This game feels great to play from the moment you start and never lets up.  I generally don't like arena based shooters but Assault Android Cactus has enough level design with unique and fun level gimmicks, and memorizable waves of enemies that it never bored me for an instant.  The bosses are fantastic as well, and the few cutscenes are just 100% adorable.

#77 - Dust: An Elysian Tail
A gorgeous action platformer with an equally great storyline.  If you haven't played this one, it's definitely worth checking out.

#76 - Yakuza 4
Nowadays Yakuza 0 is the obvious title for people to start with, but I actually began my Yakuza journey with the fourth one.  After a somewhat rough start, I became completely hooked on the story, and ended up loving the hell out of the game, making me a fan of the series for life.

#44 2020-05-06 03:54:32

Rhete
Administrator

This is so many blurbs... what a fool I've been

#75 - Rayman Origins
One of the best platformers I've ever played.  Beautiful, fun, and really challenging.

#74 - Judgment
A really enjoyable Yakuza spinoff that doesn't do a whole lot to shake up the series, but is just really solid all around.  Also you can get some really cute girlfriends.

#73 - Subnautica
One of the most truly immersive games I've ever played.  True terror is having your submarine get attacked at 1000 meters deep.

#72 - A Hat in Time
A cute as heck 3D platformer that succeeds where other attempts have failed.  This game just feels great to move around in and doesn't weigh you down with a million collectables.  Shout outs to the fantastic boss fights as well, and the incredible mod support on PC that has led to me playing fan made levels for about as long as the game took to finish to begin with.

#71 - AI: The Somnium Files
A great mystery visual novel with an incredibly lovable cast of characters.  Few games can balance humor and horror so effortlessly.  The last few chapters of this in particular are just a non stop parade of *mind explode* moments.

#70 - Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
The best rotoscoped pixel animation I've ever seen.  Seriously on the Nintendo DS this game has such a cool look to it.  The puzzle mechanics are incredibly unique and the story is great, and GOSH that ending.

#69 - Gravity Rush 2
This game is crazy and anime in a way I absolutely loved.  It feels like the developers knew they weren't going to ever get to make another one, so they just slammed every idea for Gravity Rush 2, 3, and 4 in here, and then even gave out a fairly beefy story DLC for free after launch.  The game world is beautiful, and the gravity mechanic is super fun.  It's basically a game where you fly around and divekick aliens and robots, what more could you want.

#68 - Bayonetta 2
"I thought to myself, this is the most fun I've ever had playing a video game" - Me, on the Sockscast.

#67 - Bayonetta
I tend to play games once and then move on, so the "stylish action" genre is one that's largely escaped me.  Bayonetta is great because it works those that want to master it, but it also works on a single play through with its really fun story, enjoyable but not too hard combat, and COMPLETELY CRAZY INSANE OVER THE TOP FINALE.  If you know me, that last one is a big big selling point.

#66 - Final Fantasy XV
I loved the road trip vibe, and the camaraderie among the 4 boys, bolstered greatly by the fantastic English dub that feels incredibly natural.  The game really gets great once it drops the open world in the back half, and becomes a roller coaster of locations and crazy stuff happening.  And then the ending is just inexplicably fantastic.

#65 - Saints Row IV
This game does for open world superhero games what Saints Row: The Third did for open world crime games.  When faced with a design choice, they always went with the option that would be more fun.  Saints Row IV is hilarious, tons of fun, and a real love letter to its own franchise.  The numerous references to the original game are mostly lost on me, but I love that they're there because it shows how passionate that the developers are for the series.  What a great high note to go out on.  *quietly ignores everything afterwards*

#64 - Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
This game was like pure nostalgia in a bottle for me, allowing me to relive a very specific time period in the mid 90s where my favorite games were rail shooters like Panzer Dragoon and StarFox, and Treasure games like Radiant Silvergun and Gunstar Heroes.  Star Successor is the game my childhood self would've died to play, taking those elements of the past and giving them a fancier coat of paint, along with one of the most comfortable control schemes ever with the split wii remote and nunchuck.

#63 - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
This second game in the Zero Escape series really opens up the floodgates that 999 had only begun to explore at its conclusion, going much further with the ideas presented.  This game fucked with me in ways I never saw coming.  It's an absolutely wild ride.

#62 - LISA
The feel bad RPG of the decade.

#61 - Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
A great visual novel thriller with some lofty ideas that get explored more in its two sequels.  It's my favorite of the trilogy because of the very emotional ending, which was my personal high point of the series.  I played the PS4 port , and its wild that in spite of how incredible the ending is, I can't help but feel it's a pale shadow to what they originally pulled off on the Nintendo DS.

#60 - SUPERHOT VR
A vision of the future.  Contorting my body around to dodge virtual bullets in slow motion is quite simply something no other game has made me do.  The final levels saw me crouching down to hide behind in game cover.  By far the best shooter I've played in VR so far.

#59 - Bioshock Infinite
This game may not be saying a lot, but it said a lot to me in 2014.  It's also very pretty and the shoot bang is fun.

#58 - Just Cause 2
Amazingly, this was the first "open world crime game" I ever played.  Being able to walk up to a random NPC car and hijack it was revolutionary to me.  I played the timed demo a million times over, practicing and learning the quickest way to get explosives and really start going to town blowing shit up.  I even went and found ways to disable the timer in the demo, and explore past the boundaries in the demo map. The full game was really good too!

#57 - The Unfinished Swan
One of the few artsy games that I completely love.  The story in this just resonated with me perfectly.

#56 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
A landmark game in creating a world that feels alive and lived in.  I spent a over hundred hours here exploring everything I could and doing every quest I could fine.

#55 - Great Fairy Wars ~ Touhou Sangetsusei
A Touhou spinoff with a really unique spin on the formula, the ability to freeze bullets into huge blocks of ice.  It's really fun to use, timing your freeze to chain across bullets and covering the entire screen feels great.  The extra stage in this one felt impossible to me at first, but with enough practice I was able to overcome it as well, which was a very enjoyable time.

#54 - Puppeteer
While the actual platforming is nothing to write home about, Puppeteer still managed to endear me with it's lovable cast of characters, beautiful aesthetic, and non stop bombastic set pieces.  An absolute hell of an experience.

#53 - Nex Machina: Death Machine
5 points for being a stunningly gorgeous top down arena shooter that feels incredibly good to play.  5 points for one of the best soundtracks ever.  5 points for the secret final boss that mocks you before relentlessly kicking your shit in.  A perfect 15 out of 10.

#52 - Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+
Just seeing the title of this game makes me reinstall and play it some more.  I got stupidly into practicing stages to see how high I could push my score, and as I recall I was around the top 90 in every level at one point.

#51 - Furi
A boss rush game that is intense as hell.  Sword fights mixed with bullet hell never felt this good.  The final boss that you may only see depending on which choice you make at the end was the perfect cherry on top.

#45 2020-05-08 15:18:48

lieronet
Plays boring games

Fuck it, have a list.

HONORABLE MENTIONS because I forgot they came out this decade or that I had played them until I read the rest of y'alls lists.

Hard Corps: Uprising for being a super fun, stylish Contra with that bitchin' Daisuke Ishiwatari soundtrack. Rerelease when?
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir for being also super fun and stylish (and way, way better than the original).
Portal 2 for being, well, Portal 2.
Sonic: Generations for making me love Sonic again, even if only for a moment.
Super Hexagon for making me feel like I'm one with the machine.

35. Kittens (Some time this decade, I promise)
I have a weakness for idle games, and this is by far the most sophisticated example I’ve come across. Guide your kitten civilization from subsistence farming to a galactic civilization that has mastered of time itself. Like all clicker games, it’s a game of maximizing outputs, but Kittens makes it very difficult to determine how to go about that. Systems on systems, bonuses on bonuses, and a list of resources that threatens to scroll off the screen means it’s far more engaging than simply determining which building gives you the most cookies on your investment. This game is absolutely incredible, and I never want to touch it again as long as I live ah fuck.

34. Shovel Knight (2014)
Great action-platformer. Idk I played and enjoyed this game, which I apparently can only say for about four games a year, what do you want from me?

33. Risk of Rain (2013)
When the netplay actually works, this is a very fun game to play with friends.

32. Untitled Goose Game (2019)
I put this up for two reasons. One, it’s a lovely premise with charming presentation. Deep down, I believe everyone wants to be a goose and mess with people, even if only a little. Two, watching my sister play this game for the first time and have the time of her life.

31. Transistor (2014)
See my review for Bastion. I remember liking Bastion more, as the turn-planning thing didn’t really vibe with me, but dang is the game pretty.

30. Bastion (2011)
Honestly, this game would have been kinda forgettable without Darren Kord and Chris Metzen, but those two people joined forces to create a fantastic experience.

29. The Witcher 3 (2015)
Don’t make my mistakes and play this game for its mechanical systems. Play it for the stellar quest design. Geralt’s world reacts to the choices you make like few game worlds I’ve seen.

28. Smash Bros Ultimate (2018)
Melee is one of my favorite games of all time, and Nintendo has finally delivered on a worthy successor. The action is finally close to Melee speeds, with a roster that borders on the obscene. All I need now are friends who wanna Smash.

27. Dark Souls 3 (2016)
Dark Souls 3 is set in a world that yearns for death but has been refused that mercy, and I can’t think of a better note to end a franchise on.

26. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
Great immersive sim. Marketed as a “play how you want” game, and I feel like it really lived up to the promise, which is rare.

25. Terraria (2011)
I’ve played through several runs of this game, and it’s always felt like a different game every time. The post-launch support for this game has been enormous, with the final, final, this-time-we-really-mean-it-guys last content update dropping soon.

24. Bloodstained (2019)
IGA’s masterpiece. Feels like every idea he had over the course of making his games for 15 years got thrown into this one and it all works spectacularly.

23. Imbroglio (2016)
I wish I had an iPhone so I could keep playing this game. Michael Brough’s take on a deckbuilder, you move your guy around on a 4x4 grid of tiles, and you attack the bad guys with whatever’s on that tile. Tiles level up as you get kills, and you can build your own board. A deceptively simple concept that’s enormous fun to play.

22. Persona 5 (2017)
Persona at its peak. It’s got all the familiar elements, only more so. If this were a list of the most stylish games of the decade, this game would be #1 no question.

21. Journey (2012)
This game would be one of the four classical elements, if the classical elements were videogames. Hard to believe it came out so long ago.

20. Undertale (2015)
Hey, you got your savage deconstruction of JRPGs in my heartwarming, funny videogame about the power of friendship!

19. Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
You know, this game has some stellar writing, incredible setpieces, and unforgettable characters, but nothing quite compares to the joy of taking out a bandit camp with an anti-tank rifle and hand-made ammo. Powergaming this game was all kinds of fun, and Old World Blues stands out to me as one of the most worthwhile DLCs ever.

18. Jamestown (2011)
I enjoyed this shmup. Gorgeous visuals, fun stages, and some nice ship variety. I’ve always had a hard time using bombs in shmups, and this game implemented them in such a way that it didn’t feel like you were using a limited resource to stay safe.

17. DOOM (2016)
Yes, they should have pared down the exploration elements. Yes, they stick you in arenas a a lot. No, I don’t care. DOOM makes shooting demons a god-damn blast, elevated by Mick Gordon’s incredible soundtrack. The developers even managed to inject a bit of humor into the proceedings.

16. Grim Dawn (2016)
Best Diablo game since Diablo II. The only game in the genre I’ve played that’s managed to make the combat feel as snappy and rewarding as the OG. Character building is both varied and deep, without managing to feel overwhelming. The devs are also committed to keeping the grind to a minimum, with the best loot being able to drop anywhere, so you can play the levels you want instead of grinding HellBaals all day. This game is an ARPG masterpiece.

15. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019)
I’ve played maybe ten hours of this game so far, but I can already tell it’s something special. I’ve always been very aggressive in my approach to the Souls games, and Sekiro rewards that like none of the rest.

14. Dead Rising 2 (2010)
You might think that your enemy in the zombie apocalypse is the unthinking horde outside your safehouse, but the real villain is the clock. Dead Rising 2 is all about doing as much as you can inside a tight time window, and this gameplay loop of trying to do it all is incredibly satisfying. Combo weapons bring a new twist to the game, giving much of the mall’s clutter new context, and bring a large measure of replayability to the game. Really a shame to see the franchise go downhill, the early entries were something special.

13. Frostpunk (2018)
Fun little citybuilder with some spicy survival game flavor. Frostpunk does moral choices better than most games I’ve seen, by virtue of making it really hard to survive by only making the good choices.

12. Mark of the Ninja (2012)
This is how you do stealth. Very clear when you are seen or unseen, heard or not heard, and this knowledge gives you the ability to pull some Crazy Ninja Shit. Story and presentation elevate the whole package.

11. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
I loved Zelda games as a kid, but really fell off on the franchise after Twilight Princess. This is the first game since then that’s made me feel anything.

10. Oxygen Not Included (2019)
Endlessly engaging colony management/physics sandbox game with a huge amount of that Klei charm.

9. Enter the Gungeon (2016)
Fun, funny rogue-lite that stands out in a decade full of them. Wide variety of creative guns and items, with a good sense of humor about itself and a commitment to theme that verges on the deranged.

8. Dark Souls (2011)
It’s fucking Dark Souls.

7. Desktop Dungeons (2013)
I’ve always felt this game never got the love it deserved. It’s a cross between a puzzle game and a roguelite, but somehow isn’t quite either. I bet John would call it an action game. It’s a dungeon crawler where the dungeons take 10-15 minutes, and it has a wonderfully dry sense of humor.

6. Hollow Knight (2017)
It’s fucking Dark Souls, but with bugs. One of the only games I've enjoyed enough to attempt some permadeath runs.

5. Subnautica (2018)
Survival games sell the fantasy of exploring a vast, beautiful world, then fall short on the promise because procedural generation is soulless. Subnautica is the rare survival game that avoids that fate by hand-crafting an alien ocean for you to explore, and fills it with wonderfully imaginative creatures. If you can play this game in VR, do it.

4. Prey (2017)
We never got System Shock 3 (and it doesn’t look like we ever will), but we did get Prey. An immersive sim masterpiece, Prey gives you tons of cool toys to play with, it lets you approach situations however you’d like, and it tells a damn fine story on top of it all. It even has really cool DLC that reimagines the game as a roguelike! I’ve been keeping a close eye on Arkane since this game came out.

3. Bloodborne (2015)
For a long time, it was the only reason I owned a PS4. Bloodborne’s more aggressive combat gels perfectly with my, shall we say, less than cautious approach to these things. The trick weapons were absolutely brilliant, and give the game almost a character-action feel.

2. Factorio (2016)
For when modded Minecraft just isn’t enough. Factorio is a game that tickles my math-brain like none other. Build a factory that makes more factory so you can make more factory so you can launch a rocket (and then continue building a factory). This might be the perfect engineering game. Oh, and it also has incredible mod support.

1. Minecraft (2011)
What’s to say about Minecraft? There have been oceans of ink spilled over this game. Best LEGO set ever? Better mod platform than any Bethesda game? Inspired unending legions of imitators, successors, and riffs? This game hooked me way back in the Creative/indev days and has yet to let go. I doubt it ever will.

Last edited by lieronet (2020-05-08 15:45:27)

#46 2020-05-09 05:40:43

Rhete
Administrator

Great list lieronet!

Back to mine... oh god I'm so sorry for asking people to write 100 blurbs right now haha

#50 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
The game that launched Neptunia into a new wave of popularity.  It took a bit to click for me, but I was eventually won over by the charming cast, fun combat, and great storyline.  By the end I knew that Neptunia had hooked me, and it would go on to become one of my favorite franchises.

#49 - Saints Row: The Third
Saints Row The Third is a game where the developers, when faced with a design choice, always went with the option that would be more fun.  This game opens with you stealing a bank by literally stealing the entire bank, and it just gets crazier from there. 

#48 - No Man's Sky
No Man's Sky was a game that made me feel truly tiny on a cosmic scale, as you journeyed planet to planet in a universe that contained literally quadrillions of star systems.  The goal of this game seems to have literally been to make a 70s sci-fi book cover generator and they succeeded wildly.  Every frame of No Man's Sky is beautiful and inspires a sense of wonder and exploration.

#47 - Sleeping Dogs
One of my favorite open world games ever.  The story is good, the combat feels great, and the world of Hong Kong is incredibly well realized.  I did damn near everything possible in this game, I beat every DLC and even got every open world collectable for some damn reason.  I literally could not get enough of this game.

#46 - Fallout: New Vegas
Even though I'm the one heretic that prefers Fallout 3, I still greatly enjoyed my hundred plus hours exploring every inch of the Mojave Wasteland.  The writing and quests are consistently great, and the game also has four expansions that all feel incredibly unique and distinct from each other.

#45 - Prey
I'm not sure I've ever seen a game that sold its setting so well, and just felt like a real, tangible place.  Prey takes place entirely on a single space station and allows you to explore every inch of it, both inside and out.  The upgrades and powers you get are incredibly clever (you can turn into a coffee cup to roll through small gaps!) and the ending story twist shocked me in a way I can't describe.  It's one of the few times I've ever felt something was just slightly off about a game, and having a theory... and then ACTUALLY BEING RIGHT.

#44 - Mass Effect 2
A massive step forward from the previous game, the shooting part is actually fun now!  The writing is still great and I appreciated that the story is much more about building a crew and bonding with your teammates, and the whole Reaper thing takes a backseat.

#43 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenoblade 2 captured a feeling of adventure I get very rarely from games these days.  Once things get rolling your party travels through a whirlwind of unique and beautiful locations, it continued to surprise and impress me right til the end.  The soundtrack is also one of the best of all time.

#42 - The Witness
The Witness is a fun puzzle game where you draw lines on screens.  At least that's what it says on the box but that's not actually the truth.  Once I found out what this game actually was, and engaged with its second set of mechanics, it turned the game completely upside down.  Even now I'm still not sure how deep that rabbit hole goes, because naturally I never wanted to look up solutions.  This game is nothing short of genius.

#41 - Xenoblade Chronicles
A fantastic RPG and story, with some of the best directed and animated cutscenes I've maybe ever seen.  It sadly took me most of the decade to get through this game, but it was totally worth it.

#40 - Dishonored
Stealth games almost never click with me, but Dishonored did in a way no others ever have.  I got so into this game that I ended up playing through it three times in a row start to finish.  The abilities you get are all great and fun to use, and the morality doesn't feel entirely shoehorned in, as the main theme of the game is that power corrupts.  It takes a lot of restraint to play through the game without abusing your powers and killing everyone in your path.  Restraint I didn't have.  Twice.  Hence needing to do three playthroughs.

#39 - 428: Shibuya Scramble
One of the greatest visual novels I've ever read.  The cast of characters is fantastic, the bad endings you can get are hilarious, and the true ending is a whirlwind of damn near every single plot thread coming together perfectly.

#38 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
A charming as all hell game that introduces you to one of the best casts of characters ever, and sets the stage perfectly for it's two direct sequels.  While I admittedly bounced off this game years ago, I returned to it eventually and once I understood the pace and tone it was going for, loved every moment of it.  Truly the beginning of something great.

#37 - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
While I prefer the two sequels, the original Danganronpa is still a great game in its own right.  It sets the tone and rhythm for the series that the sequels will later subvert in their own ways.

#36 - Divekick
This is 100% unironically, my favorite fighting game ever.  Divekick gets rid of nearly all of the cruft that has accumulated on the fighting game genre, and boils it down to what really matters: playing footsies.

#35 - Life is Strange
I still think about some of the fucking choices this game forced me to make.

#34 - Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Shovel of Hope was a cute NES throwback with modern sensibilities.  But where this package truly shined for me, was the Plague of Shadows campaign.  What's funny about Plague of Shadows is that of the three boss knight campaigns, it changes the least.  Going through levels not originally designed for Plague Knight, but still being able to get through them due to his strange and awkward move set was incredibly fun to me.  The clever changes to ancillary things like the town were also great, and worked towards the idea that Plague of Shadows and Shovel of Hope were happening at the same time.  Basically, Plague Knight completely rewrote the book of "Playing through the same game as another character" for me.  Oh AND it's a super cute love story!

#33 - NieR: Automata
Some of the best feel bad side quests ever!  I really liked this game, and then ending E blasted it into the stratosphere.

#32 - Portal 2
There are games I don't think should get sequels and Portal was one of them.  Portal 2 does the impossible and expands on a game that I didn't think needed to be expanded on, and does so in great and clever ways.  The characters and story are both completely on point, and the game manages to balance humor, sentimentality, and drama perfectly.  I also got really into the level editor, even though my levels were junk.

#31 - Baba Is You
Baba Is You is perfect because it creates an entirely unique puzzle genre, and then thoroughly and completely explores it.  You think you know what this game has after a few hours, but then world after world it just keeps going, throwing new words and situations at you that totally upend how things work over and over.  And then the final worlds push even further, completely opening and closing the book on what can be done with these mechanics.

#30 - Sonic Generations
A wonderful love letter to the Sonic Games of the past, and a vision of a brighter future... that totally didn't come to pass, what the heck happened after this game?  Anyways, Sonic Generations rules, it's easily my favorite Sonic game since 16 bit games and Sonic Adventure.  I had a blast getting every red coin and doing every side mission, and will still go back to this game regularly for a good boost of action.  Every time I get a new piece of hardware, be it a new video card or monitor, Sonic Generations is the first game I go back to, just to see how much better it looks.

#29 - Cloudbuilt
A 3D platformer slash third person shooter unlike any other I've played.  Cloudbuilt emphasizes movement and speed running, and its just a joy to retry levels over and over to see how fast you can reach the end, using every trick, optimization, and every route you can find.  The game really shined for me with it's DLC expansion that added a scant 5 levels that all ended up being incredibly difficult, requiring true mastery of the game to complete.  The final level in particular is right up there in my "hardest things I've ever beaten in a game" hall of fame, and it was a great time doing it.

#28 - Tearaway Unfolded
An incredibly creative game that constantly invites you to participate by adding your own creative touches to the game.  Just absolutely joyous start to finish. 

#27 - Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone
An incredibly cute action RPG that's relatively difficult and will kick your ass if you're get complacent.   I always wondered if the adventures your cast of cute girls go on in the game were actually happening, or the product of make believe.  I have no idea if that ambiguity was the intention of the developer, but the game walked that line in such a way that I found really endearing.  Either way, this game is a great time that I still think about many years later.

#26 - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
This was the first Ys game to really grab me with its story, telling the tale of a group of shipwreck survivors on a mysterious island.  The story takes a while to unfold, but eventually I fell in love with the entire cast of characters, and was truly sad at the end when it was time to part ways.  On top of that you've got your classic Ys action that never gets old, despite this being a much longer game than other entries, and a jammin soundtrack.  Pretty much the complete package right here.

#47 2020-05-09 14:58:48

Psychic_Heist

Originally, I had written an introduction to my GOTD list as something like an apology because my choices were so boring and pathetic.  I’d written things like “My list is the reason why barf bags were invented,” “My list is a limp biscuit,” and “My list feels like the dork walking into a party where I barely know anybody, and when I try to have conversation with someone, my words come out forced, stilted, and divulge WAY too much personal information.”

I even hoped that whoever reads my list would enliven the experience by playing Death Grips “Trash” in the background through a YouTube link (but since this is SocksMakePeopleSexy and it’s Death Grips … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayhmvV36pkw).

But fuck all that. 

I’m not some professional video game critic looking with a critical eye at what video games were most important and influential to the medium this decade.  I’m just a fan, with a busy life, that just doesn’t get to play everything that made a splash, or fully play everything that made a splash (the latter being why you won’t find the likes of ‘Dark Souls,’ ‘Undertale,’ or ‘The Witcher 3’ here).
My favorite games of the decade are experiences that produced strong standout moments and positive associated memories for me. This list is purely personal, not business.
So coming at you raw it’s …

Psychic Heist’s Top 15 Games of The Decade

15.) Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite (September 2017) – That’s right, I’m kicking my games of the decade list off with “Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite”, so hold on to your ass. And speaking of ass, uh yeah, I know, we all know, this game looks like ass. But once you get over your shallow standard of “me-want-games-purty,” you will find one of the most satisfying fighting games that Capcom has released since, well, “Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3.”  The fast switch-in-and-switch-out tag mechanics, the reduced team size from 3v3 to 2v2, and the variety of play styles you can doodle someone’s noodle with by bringing back the infinity stones from “Marvel Super Heroes” -- brings a surprisingly tight fighting game experience that has deliciously fun depth the more you put into it. 

A rough gem that has it where it counts.

14.) Persona 3 *PSP release* (July 2010) – Let me ask all you “Persona” fans out there?  Was your first “Persona” game something like spiritual enlightenment?  For years I’d known about “Shin Megami Tensei/Persona” but didn’t dive in until I was looking for an RPG to play on my PSP.  This game BLEW my mind (ironically its characters do a similar thing) with its occult influenced story, the high school life simulator, visual novel like aesthetics, and groovy as fuck soundtrack. “Persona 3” would introduce me to a JRPG series that would challenge the throne that “Final Fantasy” sat on in my heart. 

13.)  Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Feb 2014) – If this is the last “Donkey Kong Country” game, something that feels possible, then you have a game that ends it on a high note.  There is so much personality and innovation in what Retro Studio does with this game that the franchise now feels complete.   I just really don’t think you can take “Donkey Kong Country” anywhere else from here, and I am totally fine with that.  This is the closest to series high point, DKC 2. 

12.) Tetris Effect (November 2018) – When you just can’t load up on psychedelics and have Charli XCX soundtrack your life’s ruminations on being a Tetris piece just looking to fit in, you do the next best thing: Tetris Effect.   

11.) Overwatch (May 2016)

“To My Ex-Lover Overwatch,

It was good yeah?  The first time we laid eyes on each other and you introduced me to some of the coolest people I had the pleasure of being all decade.  I could manipulate time, swing a big fucking hammer, boost constitution with DJ beats, go apeshit, deflect hundreds of bullets with my sword, use my mecha as a bomb – just to name a few.

Oh the time we spent together was magical and exciting.  But I feel like our relationship was starting to get unhealthy.  You were beginning to demand more from me, and I just couldn’t provide the time for you.  So instead of our relationship growing toxic and resentful, I had to break it off.  Trust me, it’s better this way.

Thank you for the great memories we shared together.  My heart will always have a soft spot for you.

Best Wishes,

PH" 

10.) SocksMakePeopleSexy Games – Bullet Phaze, Expanse, Her Lullaby, Kikai, Polly Dungeon – *singing in a made-up jingle* That’s right! I’m fucking cheating with this entry, and probably will be disqualified for listing multiple games under one roof and breaking all the rules. *ends singing weak jingle*

Seriously, trying to pick and rank a game over someone else’s game feels akin to ranking my children.  I just can’t do it.  They’re all wildly different perspectives and personalities but live in the same family that I love.

There’s a touch of a personal connection I feel toward these games because I have this idea of who these developers are as people. No other games on this list have that added layer of interest. Because of that connection, each of these games inspired me in hope that one day I can make a game of my own.

I would like to give an extra nod to “Polly Dungeon” though.  I understand that it is important as storytellers to express and explore darker, or taboo, subjects, but I believe that it is also equally meaningful to embrace being silly.  That’s a characteristic that gets taken for granted and does not always get the recognition it deserves.

9.)  Super Mario 3D World (Nov 2013) – Allow me to talk a little further out of my ass, this game feels like a video game designer’s game.  It is a treasure trove of many game ideas, polished and executed in a well-rounded manner that leaves one satisfied.  I feel like I could take any idea, or gimmick, centered around any one level in 3D World and make a full game out of it.  3D World just has lots and lots of different concepts on its mind, and openly wants to share them with everybody of all ages.

The word ‘Epic’ carries little weight these days, but I can’t think of a better way to describe the bold choice that the designers of 3D World took in exploring every nook and cranny of the game’s engine and format.  3D World exhausts its unique perspective on 3D platforming completely, and I highly doubt we will ever see a new Mario game presented like this again.

8.) Persona 5 (September 2016) -- *Putting to the side Famcom’s Trails series, which I have yet to play.* Something happened to one of my favorite game genres, the JRPG.  If I were to make Games of the Decade lists centered around the 90s and 00s, those lists would be flooded with JRPGS.  Noticing the lack of a strong JPRG presence in my list kinda hurts.

Thankfully, “Persona 5” is a game that fully encapsulates that feeling of excitement around a show-stopping JRPG that I’d been sorely missing for a lot of this last decade.  It’s marriage of so many elements – rpg mechanics, art direction, music, dungeon crawling, visual noveling, high school simulating, demon swindling/summoning, with sweet delectable menus on top – that when it does make its missteps, it’s hard to fault it because there is something beautiful to make up for it just around the corner.

7.) StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (July 2010) – It was a long wait for its arrival, but when I finally got my hands-on SC II, I was locked in and bound only to it for a long stretch.  It was everything I could ever want from a sequel to one of the most prolific real-time strategy games of all time, and it was a very rewarding game experience the more dedicated and practiced I got with it.

I could never play SC II on a high level, but I always appreciated how the game would still accommodate and push my luddite way of thinking.  It also goes without saying that Blizzards talent with cinematic presentation was firing off on all cylinders here, and we got a campaign with gorgeous cut scenes (in-game and out) with a western and rockabilly flair that would make any loud, dumb, summer popcorn movie feel inept. 

Let it also be noted that SC II was the first game to introduce me to the eSports scene. The standard of those productions was set so high that to this day I can’t find another eSports community to quite match it. 

People grow, and people change.  By the time “Heart of the Swarm” came around, the direction in which SC II was heading was something I couldn’t really vibe with.  However, the time spent, and the memories made from my experience with “Wings of Liberty” are some of the most cherished I have in this hobby.

6.) Tekken 7 (June 2017) – When I submitted my top 3 games of the 2019 year to the Sockscast, for my number one “Tekken 7”, I proclaimed that it was the fighting game of the decade.  Now that I’ve chewed on it, and looked over and assessed this list, I realize I may have been a bit too excited in saying that, and will walk that statement back a bit. 

Still, “Tekken 7” is fucking phenomenal.

After “Tekken 3,” the Tekken series had to experiment with its fighting engine to remain fresh, and in that experimentation, we had entries that hit high, and also, pretty loooww.  With “Tekken 7,” Namco learned from its past mistakes and perfected its flagship 3D fighting game franchise. I cannot express how freaking good it feels to play this game and how each of the 40 plus character roster brings something to the table.

Last edited by Psychic_Heist (2020-05-09 15:14:21)

#48 2020-05-09 15:13:13

Psychic_Heist

5.) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 2017)

*Myself, two years ago*: “WHAT. THE. FUCK? What the fuck man!? What the fuck!? What the hell is this game doing this high on your list?”

*Me now*: “Hey listen.  I know this doesn’t look good, self-from-two-years-ago, and I know it doesn’t make sense.  The first time you played BOTW, you put about thirty hours into it. Never felt motivated to finish it.  Called it a night.  But let me tell you something.  In a couple of years and some change, you’re going to have a seven-year-old, four-year-old, and a one-year-old to take care of.  You’re going to go through a job-change, rub your wife’s feet every night, enroll in five college courses, and then get very sick.  On top of that, a fucking pandemic will happen, (yes really) and so you will have to manage all those factors while being confined to your house.

So out of a whim during that turbulent time, you will begin playing BOTW again.  This time, already having confronted the disappointments you have with BOTW, you will begin to view BOTW in a new light.  Instead of playing the game looking for some sort of gripping plot (because frankly this game totally whiffs that), you will begin to enjoy the stories you start making up in your head as you explore a vast open-world in love with nature.  You’ll discover that the cathartic moments in this game are very different from previous Zelda games because of the lack of urgency.  BOTW to you will be about chilling out and exploring the pretty scenery surrounding you.  This experience will bring new meaning, because the sensation of going anywhere, and attempting anything at your own pace, will be a lovely release from the real-world pressures you’ll one day endure.”

*Myself, two years ago*: “Whatever dude, you disappoint me.”

*Me now*: “I always do.”

4.) Super Meat Boy! (October 2010) – One of the first big ‘indie’ releases at the beginning of the decade to signal the new generation of video game developers.  “Super Meat Boy!” was my introduction to Edmund McMillen, one of the most unique and standout voices in video games this last decade. 

It’s also the only one of those first wave of indie releases to stick with me strongly throughout the years since its release (no offense to “Limbo” or “Fez”).  The secret here is like the gratification of a well-made pop song, everything is designed to quickly get you off.  I can’t think of any other platformer that has this both ways in the sense that not only is it satisfying when you complete a difficult level, but also oddly satisfying each time you die.

Splat.  Splat.  Splat-Splat. … Splat.

3.) Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 2 (May 2017) – Like “Tekken 7,” “Guilty Gear Rev 2” represent its franchise in peak form.  Unlike “Tekken 7,” “Guilty Gear Rev 2” is the much better fighting game in teaching the player how to play it.  In fact, it’s the best fighting game in teaching you it’s many mechanics that I have ever seen (shout out to “Mortal Kombat 11” though for catching on).  You will hear from many that “Guilty Gear” has a steep and difficult learning curve.  They aren’t wrong, but let me point out that the developers of Rev 2 also want you to learn about the ins and outs of their game, and provide the player with many tools to do so.

This series has always had a top-notch presentation, but ArcSys are always pushing themselves, never settling for playing it safe, and took Revelator to a whole other impressive level.  Accompanied by its guitar shredding soundtrack, you really do feel like you’re fighting in high-budget anime fighting sequences.  The character roster and move set is brimming with so much diversity of playstyles and move set creativity, that it genuinely boggles my mind that they were able to make it all work with a mostly balanced and viable cast.

Rev 2 reflects my tastes for highly stylized over the top fighting action that requires consistent study and practice for skill progression.  I tend to think of fighting games as musical instruments, and “Guilty Gear Revelator 2” is a Gibson Explorer

2.) Hollow Knight (February 2017) -- In my opinion, if there is one true breakout star in the video game world of this last decade, it’s the independent game developer.  Not only are the tools in place and easily accessible for anyone to start creating their own game, but we also began having the generation raised on the NES/GENESIS/SNES era creating titles heavily influenced from it.  I think 2010 – 2019 will go down as most importantly where video games developed by video game enthusiasts blossomed.  Games for the people, by the people.  It went to show that powerful and strong voices with less resources can still stand toe to toe with the AAA blockbusters.  And I feel the strongest of those voices is Team Cherry with their work, “Hollow Knight”.

“Hollow Knight” is the right kind of mixture of modern and contemporary game design.  Fueled by love and respect of past game influences, but not relying on trends of nostalgia for merit.  It has an incredible amount of content that can stand toe to toe with any multimillion-dollar video game project released these days, but one thing that “Hollow Knight” does a lot better than some of those bigger games, is that none of that content feels automated and soulless. 

Just about every game I’ve listed in my top games of the decade, the exceptions being “Super Meat Boy!” and “Overwatch,” already have an established franchise they can draw from to build and improve their previous entries.  So, it says a lot to me that the entire world of Hollow Knight -- its art direction, characters, music, lore – is conceptualized, fully realized, and implemented to an impeccable degree.  You’d expect to see this high level of world creation from seasoned vets, not necessarily from a developer with only a couple previous releases on Newgrounds.

The very best part of "Hollow Knight" to me is its consistent habit of unexpectedly giving you something you needed.  It’s the equivalent to the feeling of opening up every Christmas present ever gifted to you, until someone points out there is still one gift in the back you overlooked, and when you excitedly retrieve and open it up, it’s the best gift you’ve ever received. 

1.) Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (October 2011) – My number one pick for the decade is something that surprised me.  As I was going through my list of games that meant something to me this last ten years, I already had it in the back of my mind that the number one spot was obviously “Hollow Knight” and that the real challenge of putting this list together would be checking off and ordering all those other games I had written down.

And when I got to UMVC3 I stopped dead in my tracks. 

True as it may be that there were not only better fighting games but games from all sorts of genres released this last decade, that UMVC3 doesn’t really teach its more intricate mechanics well, that the online was always a bit shoddy, that its single player modes are bare and uninspired, that Capcom was reselling us a game released 9 months earlier, that Capcom never fully addressed the gameplay/character imbalances, and that really it just doesn’t hold a candle to its predecessor (but really, what will?) -- I still realized with a swell in my chest that I freakin’ adore UMVC3 and the life I had around it.

For years after the release of “Marvel Vs Capcom 2”, my friend and I would dream up what a MVC3 might look like (actually, we really just wanted a Versus game where you could be Dante and Vergil) but with each passing year, we both gave up on any thought that a MVC3 would happen. 

It’d be due to the successful fighting game resurgence of the late 00’s (thank you “Street Fight IV”) that MVC3 would get the green light.  After a painful wait, the dream came true, and I dove right in head over heels. 

What happened next was the perfect concoction of a game that came out at the right time and right place for me.  With the love I already had for Capcom’s Versus series, my favorite fighting game series, combined with the growth of internet communication (social media hitting its stride), this perfect blend of experiencing a fandom was at a level that I hadn’t quite experienced before. The core game was great, yes, but also there were combo videos to look up, pro players to learn about and follow, the ‘Wednesday night fights,’ friendships established online, Maximilian Dood videos, and the EVO matches, goddamn, the phenomenal years of EVO matches -- that really enriched my experience with UMVC 3.

I think of the 2010’s as when I became even more connected to the media I love.  The exponential growth of affordable technology meant I suddenly held in the palm of my hand the ability to communicate across multiple platforms. This made it easier more than ever to relate my passions with someone else’s through podcasts, subreddits, video essays, etc.  I feel very fortunate to have all these many avenues to either express, share, or engage in something that tugs on my heart strings. It’s one of the best feelings in the world when you gain that complete sense of contentment, or consolation, when you’ve made that connection that means a lot to you.  My experience with “Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3,” and everything surrounding it, was my first big ol’ hug of that. 

The game also happens to have Dante and Vergil.

Jackpot.

#49 2020-05-09 18:51:30

Atamine634

I'm short 2 games I'd vouch for an even 100, but I never imagined I'd finish my list with this many games so I'm pretty satisfied.

98. Just Cause 2
Dumb as shit, but goddamn if this wasn't one of the best times I've had exploring an open world. Gotta give the grappling hook + parachute life credit.

97. Pokemon White (& Black)
The last Pokemon game I played and probably the most enjoyable time I've had with one. I love the visual style of the Gen 5 games and I appreciate the direction in story.

96. Paratopic
I had one playthrough and it didn't land well with me, but I've since learned it’s a game meant for multiple playthroughs and my admiration for its execution has grown.

95. Gris
Not much staying power for me but I admired the journey anyway. It's visually stunning and the forest section tugged my heartstrings in particular.

94. Escaped Chasm
Temmie Chang of Undertale fame dropped a small preview of a story she wants to tell in RPG Maker and I'm excited to see the fruits of her efforts.

93. SCP Containment Breach
Never finished a full run, but I loved the inventiveness of combining rouge-like elements with internet creepy-pastas.

92. In The Kingdom
A short but memorable horror shooter that has great mood and presentation.

91. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
I have a soft spot for the Assassin's Creed series since I grew up with it in high school. I love the virtual tourism the series provides and the last AC I played was one of my favorites for the sheer size and detail of Renaissance-era Rome you get to explore.

90. Silent Hill Downpour
I admire it for being the post-Team Silent game that actually tried to do its own thing and I'm a sucker for good environments to get lost in. It's probably the easiest Silent Hill to get lost around the town and I think that deserves some credit.

89. Xenoblade Chronicles
I never beat Xenoblade Chronicles, but the journey I had making it up to the head of the Bionis is a time I'll always cherish. It's one of my favorite settings in a game for its concept and beauty and Satorl Marsh is one of my favorite locations in all of videogames <3

88. Final Fantasy XIII
Not as bad as people make it out to be, but also its structure is weird and drags in places. It's a good story with good characters but I also thought so much of it felt designed by committee. But beyond that, the battle system XIII introduces is actually a great simplistic battle system for a cinematic RPG and the mythology it introduces was always compelling from the start.

87. Red Dead Redemption
The only Rockstar game I've played and beaten, RDR is a fantastic wild west simulator with a lush and detailed world and an above average story with one of the more inspired implementations of post-game content I've seen.

86. Battlefield 4
This was the only multiplayer game I played a good deal of this decade after high school and it was the sweet spot between something simple like the console shooters I grew up with and complex military shooters like Arma that I always wanted to try. Also, it has a map that is the equivalent to the  competitive shooter version of the Water Temple. Mad Props.

85. Gravity Rush
I wasn't the biggest fan because of the lackluster narrative, but it deserves credit for its inventive concept and likable heroine.

84. Gravity Rush 2
Was also disappointed with the sequel, but again, it deserves credit for taking its inventive concept and building off those enjoyable mechanics while crafting a more engaging world to fall through in the process.

83. Skyward Sword
My relationship with Skyward Sword is probably the most complicated one I have with a videogame. I was so immaturely butt-hurt by the traditional direction the series went in I despised it at release, but upon reflection I've learned to appreciate and love the things it did well like its art style, level design, and inventive ideas like the timeshift stone and in the process I tempered my maturity and love for the Zelda series. Strangely enough, Skyward Sword more than any game ignited my eye for game design and game criticism through spite and somehow became a game that's close to my heart for my continued picking at it.

82. Half-Quake Sunrise
The final part of proto-Portal without the gimmick, Half-Quake's last masochistic journey is a little less memorable than Amen but it's a special game for its concept alone.

81. Kingdom Hearts 3
It's a bloated mess, but it lands a cathartic ending for the saga as we've known it and its secret ending and DLC inspired even more desire in me for its sequel than I had for 3. I don't know where Nomura is going with this, but I'm onboard.

80. FAITH
A fantastic execution of religious horror from an actual place of faith. FAITH is one of the best games I've played to capture the horror of the unknown and maliciousness that bumps in the night.

79. Halo Reach
Probably the best Halo, Reach is a solid campaign full of variety and a tragic melancholy because we already know the fate of Reach. The sense of comradery with Noble Team is short lived and not much, but an experience that is essentially a suicide mission for everyone involved is gonna have some emotional weight. It's final mission is a subversive move for a AAA title and all the better for it.

78. Titanfall 2
Didn't have much staying power for me, but just for the amount of variety in the campaign I have to say it's one of the best FPS campaigns I've played. One level revolved around a gimmick that was SO GOOD I was mad it was dropped after that one level. I wish we could have revolved the whole game around that, but props for the execution.

77. The Last of Us
A bit bitter with Naughty Dog right now, but The Last of Us was a game I enjoyed far more than Uncharted, with beautiful landscapes of nature overrunning the ruins of modernity, great characters, action I actually clicked with for some reason, and a memorable ending.

76. Atchafalaya Arcade
A small audiovisual project made on Game Boy hardware that's an electronic poem about my home of Louisiana.

75. Sakuya Izayoi Gives You Advice And Dabs
It's a game that tries to give you actually good advice for your problems so that alone makes it better than most games I've played.

74. Genderwrecked
A VN I admire for its ambition at tackling such an existential topic. Also funny as fuck too.

73. A Link Between Worlds
Perfect to a fault, ALBW is at once one of the best zeldas and one of the least memorable. The Greatest Hits vibe IS what is was going for though and it’s a terrific tightly designed little adventure with a fantastic climax.

72. Betrayer
I'd understand if someone thought Betrayer was boring as shit, but this slow-paced, open-world survival horror game set in 1600s Virginia is a memorable experience for the thematics around colonial evils and the delicate maturity for how it handles them.

71. Touhou Luna Night
I never beat the last boss but I played enough to know Touhou Luna Night is a great action game that mechanically takes clever turns with its protagonist of choice.

70. Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
It's so goddamn fun to play and it gives a satisfying "fuck the system" power fantasy that isn't exactly saying much, but it's appreciated anyway.

69. DOOM
It may have been overhyped at the time, but returning to it after bouncing off of DOOM Eternal I believe the game's simplicity is actually a boon to the experience. There's a meditative trance I get into playing DOOM that I don't get from many action games. The simplicity lets me shut my brain off and enjoy the base, primal rhythms of its gameplay so I believe DOOM 2016 actually succeeds at being what Doom is secretly great at. Being a mood piece. A brutal, animalistic, heart-pumping mood piece.

68. Breath of the Wild
My immediate feeling after finish BotW for the first time was that I was gonna like the next Zelda to follow up on it better. BotW is burdened to be obsolete due to its nature as a rough experiment, but the foundation it laid is still one of my fondest game experiences of the decade. The mobility it provides to explore the landscape is literally a dream come true for me. Ocarina was my first and favorite Zelda and in childhood I always marveled at the horizons beyond the landscapes and wondered what scenery I could find there. BotW is that childhood fancy come to life. The first thing I did when I exited the Shrine of Resurrection was turn left and climb up the wall next to the shrine and fucked off in the opposite direction the game wanted me to go for about an hour. It's weird to say BotW was the first Zelda that made me feel like I was playing Ocarina again because that game was much more narratively concise, but Zelda has been and means so many different things to different people. The sense of immersion in the world is something Zelda abandoned after the N64 games and I'm eternally thankful to BotW for bringing that back. The slight attempt at a meta-narrative for Zelda's continued regurgitation as a series is something I admired and while I think the execution needed far more work, BotW is one of the most thematically guided Zelda games.

67. Shape of the World
A short first-person walking sim that's about exploring an everchanging psychedelic world that grows and morphs around you. It's a stress-relieving sensory experience at its core so it lets you take as much time to let the game wash your anxieties away.

66. Slave of God
The best club simulator ever made. I mean that genuinely. The abstract, trippy visual style of the game captures the audiovisual stimulation of being inside a club extraordinarily well.

65. The Beginner's Guide
I had already been spoiled on its uncomfortable story before I played it, but the fact I was already shaken by a game I've never played is testament to the power of The Beginner's Guide.

64. Us Lovely Corpses
A story about mental illness and communication that resonated with me deeply with a beautiful art style that's like a mix between Revolutionary Girl Utena and Steven Universe.

63. Ib
An RPG Maker horror game that won me over not with scares, but with charm and likable characters. It has a fantastic grasp of its atmosphere and features an art style that feels its own.

62. Her Lullaby
Captures the frustrations and hopes of its creators while throwing some good goofs along the way.

61. Proteus
One of the coolest psychedelic experiences I've had with a game and I'm glad it's made for unique replays.

60. Amid Evil
One of my new favorite FPSs and mostly for a shallow reason. The game's aesthetic and variety of locations are breathtakingly gorgeous. The running and shooting feel good and it's nice they have a system that lets you recharge your overkill powerup.

59. Dusk
One of the best FPSs I've played last decade, Dusk is a bit basic in aesthetics but is crafted with so much love and detail that it's impossible for me not to respect the effort.

58. Engare
A geometric puzzle game based on Islamic art and sacred geometry, Engare is part spirograph puzzles and part drawing tool used to create your own art and patterns.

57. Thumper
A anxiety-inducing rhythm game that eases my anxiety ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The focus needed to get through levels gives the experience a trance-like hypnotic state that I find meditative for just getting me out of my head and I'm greatly appreciative of any game that manages that. I also deeply appreciated that this game was one of the most visually stunning things I've ever seen. Some of the finest eldritch imagery I've ever seen.

56. Link's Awakening (2019)
Link's Awakening's remake was so substantial I believe it deserves some mention. LA was always one of the best Zeldas on a narrative and gameplay level, but the remake's aesthetic changes compliment everything including the dreamlike effect . It was an inspired choice to revisit LA in particular because everything that I think makes it work is what Breath of the Wild's sequel needs to learn from. Mixing the original tracks with the new score was an inspired choice that enhances the surrealism and it gives the dungeons new life and tone that make them more memorable than the square rooms they are. Special mention to Level 6, Face Shrine, for the incredible glow-up. They made one of the best Zeldas into maybe THE best Zelda.

55. Corrypt
A brilliantly clever puzzle game that also inspires unlikely emotions.

54. Things That Aren't Real
An interactive music video that's also an excellent abstract piece about the malaise of existence and how we cope. I really connected with my own sense of angst with TTAR and it helps that the music tugs my teenage heartstrings.

53. Anodyne
Zelda meets Yume Nikki was always something I was gonna love on some level, but I was still taken aback by how much I loved getting lost in its world.

52. Manifold Garden
One of the most visually striking games I've played and also a fantastic exploration of puzzle-solving potential in infinite 3D space.

51. Panoramical
A unique interactive experience where music and abstract landscapes are one-and-the-same for you to play with. I've had some wonderfully calming and anxiety melting moments with this game and it's one of my favorite psychedelic experiences in the medium.

Last edited by Atamine634 (2020-05-14 18:36:50)

#50 2020-05-09 19:19:04

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

28. Ninja Pizza Girl - I don't mean to get all after school special here, but if a silly little game about freerunning to dubstep while delivering pizza can also have a message about anti-bullying and acceptance and stick with me long after I've played it, then maybe folks can use the medium to tell whatever kind of story they want to regardless of budget or marketability. We don't have to get caught up on trilinear vertex shading or getting the most "poggers" on Twitch.

27. Limbo - Just a cute little greyscale romp on your journey home, certainly nothing bad happens if you make a wrong step! Limbo sticks out above the "masocore" genre of indie games by... not really being that, its platforming sections require you to think a little bit rather than memorize gotcha hazards or bang your head against the wall until you eventually scrape by.

26. Shadows of the Damned - A trashy grindhouse-aesthetic version of Resident Evil 4 with great macabre visual style and a lovable but dumber than a sack of rocks protagonist.

25. Luftrausers - I appreciate Luftrauser's Atari 2600 aesthetic and likewise seemingly never ending escalation of difficulty, chaos, and carnage. And like the arcade-y action it draws inspiration from, it eventually gets to be "too much" and I have to put it down indefinitely. Fun weapons and ship customization though.

24. PSO2 - Most of the West has yet to play this, but the JP version gets a nod from me for the good times with friends had online and the way they modernized the combat in its initial incarnation. It's everything else about the MMO gacha and the over-zazzification of its expansions that dull its shine a bit. We'll see how it holds up when the NA release hits PC "late May 2020."

23. Spelunky HD - Exploring, bombing, trying not to waste ropes, getting knocked out by yetis, accidentally blowing yourself up, getting impaled, going back for more. That's Spelunky in a nutshell.

22. Gone Home - If you remember those old PC horror games where you're exploring some haunted mansion, diddling with switches in hopes of just getting past the first area and dreading some deathtrap or skeleton poised to kill you around every corner, you might get those vibes from Gone Home at first. What you get instead is a fleshed out environment with a plethora of things to inspect and let the narrative play out at your own pace. I remember this being the first game that showed what you could really do with the Unity engine.

21. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Puzzle solving by controlling two characters with each stick usually sounds like the kind of thing I'd pass on, but Brothers weaves a visually imaginative world with an emotional story told mostly with character expressions and a made-up language. You owe it to yourself to play through this at least once.

20. Nuclear Throne - With action roguelites you tend to be at the mercy of the weapon drops the game decides to give you, and at least for me there's a median progression in this kind of game that I don't often make it far beyond. But when you do get a killer loadout in Nuclear Throne, you get that good feeling of laying waste to everything in your path coupled with that nervous thrill that the enemy spawns are going to screw you over as you push just to see now much farther you can go.

19. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - The Shantae franchise finally hits its stride by removing the continuous world and much of the tedium. Imaginative characters with robust spritework and discrete levels that are actually fun to explore (and revisit). There's a couple of parts that hold it back from greatness (the princess stealth sequence, the sky fortress), but it's still a fun and endearing 2D character platformer.

18. Persona 2: Innocent Sin PSP - It's great that the West finally got to experience the "Tsumi" half of the Persona 2 story, if you hadn't already played the fan translation. This version adds some battle improvements like pre-dialed fusion spells and Eternal Punishment's option to turn off the battle animations (trust me, it speeds things up A LOT).

17. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - If there's some award for THE MOST MMO, FFXIV is a top contender, at least as far as the ones I've played go. There's essentially no reason to run out of something new to do besides your free time or your subscription running out. Even though I chose to play it relatively straightforward, I still appreciate how it matched you with other players to do required Duties, and I generally got helpful feedback from the game's community, a far cry from other forever-alone experiences I've had (lookin' at you, TERA).

16. Dust: An Elysian Tail - It still kind of blows my mind that a game like this, which was largely the passion project of one person, who LEARNED PROGRAMMING just so he could make this game, turned out as good as it did. A beautiful world to explore with satisfying combat, assuming you set the difficulty level appropriately.

15. Odallus: The Dark Call - I kind of miss that 16-bit era design motif where you could have hidden nooks and crannies to explore while still working with discrete stages. While several modern indies do this (some on my very list!), Odallus wraps it up in that grimy, oppressive atmosphere reminiscent of Faxanadu or Wizards and Warriors, with sprawling verticality to its stages like Vectorman or Wolfchild (how's that for a deep cut?).

14. Shovel Knight - The retro platformer that keeps on giving, literally. Like shoveling gems out of a pile of dirt, Yacht Club kept giving us new expansions and their flagship character showed up as a guest in every game known to man. The base game is still fun and satisfying to play at its core, however.

13. Cosmic Star Heroine - A love letter to JRPGs and 90s PC adventure games, Zeboyd's cheeky brand of humor is pervasive but never feels too overbearing. Some challenging combat really forces you to think about how to use the game's systems to eke out a victory.

12. Blazing Chrome - "HAHA, HEY BRO!" Pick this game up even if you haven't been fiending for a proper Contra fix since 2011's Hard Corps: Uprising. It's a solid action game with some impressive Irem arcade game styled spritework.

11. Freedom Planet - Lilac the Dragon 3 & Carol has no right to play as well as it does, given how difficult it is to get a Sonic clone right (even if you're SEGA). There are a few rough edges and some borderline unfair bosses, but big multi-part bosses reminiscent of 16-bit Treasure games and breakneck action make Freedom Planet worth the price of admission. Hope the time they're taking with FP2 pays off!

10. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Turns out Castlevania III was the installment they should have been trying to base a whole subgenre of action platformer around this whole time. The base game is challenging enough, but it's really worth going back and doing the New Game+ to poke around at everything this game has to offer.

9. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - These games are best taken as a whole package, but the first one only takes an afternoon to beat, provided you don't get stuck on too many hard sections. Wrong Number is the installment that establishes Hotline Miami's surreal dystopian world and shakes the player for being complicit in its violence without being preachy or sly about it.

8. Persona 3 Portable - This has become my preferred version of P3 simply for the direct commands and the overall breezier world-traversal (and you can play as a girl!).

7. Saints Row the Third - "Baby's first sandbox crime simulator" maybe oversimplifying it a bit, but SR3 made the GTA clone genre accessible with over the top mayhem-causing action and some quality of life improvements that make it THE installment of the genre to play if you only play one in your life.

6. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD - A solid traditional RPG in its own right, with a pretty simple base-building mechanic and some robust party customization. The mechanic of dragons that can invade battles in progress can make things go wrong for the player pretty quickly, and you'll really have to have your shit together to overcome some of the game's major bosses. It's a shame this game isn't more well known.

5. NieR: Automata - In the vein of "ruined world to explore" games, NieR: Automata gives the scenario insane over-the-top action flair that makes it a worthy successor to my favorite 3D Zelda title, 2010's NieR Gestalt. This game is not-insignificantly removed from its predecessor in terms of control and actual story, while still retaining some lore cues and the kinds of bizarre sequences and emotional narrative arcs that tie the namesakes together.

4. Far Cry 3 - I bounced off the original Far Cry's attempt (and frequent crashes on my computer at the time) at the large outdoor FPS subgenre, but 3 is where the franchise streamlined the formula that it would subsequently beat into the ground with spinoffs and sequels. A lot more forgiving than something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. while still offering plenty of depth.

3. Dark Souls - The game that launched a thousand cliches. While my time with Dark Souls was marred by false starts and near-ragequits, I can't think of another game of the 2010s that gave me the sense of exploring a fleshed-out world like it did.

2. Persona 5 - The installment of the "modern" Personas that is the most ambitious is also the most refined take on the formula. I have an affection for this game's characters on par with that of Innocent Sin.

1. The Last Of Us - While I enjoyed how the Uncharted games showed what the PS3 could do from a technical standpoint, they left little more impression than Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time clones without time rewinding where a gunfight occasionally breaks out. Naughty Dog's survival/stealth follow-up shows that they can also craft a lived-in post-apocalyptic environment that's simultaneously beautiful and haunting, with a side of narrative gut-punch to boot.

Last edited by Beepner (2020-05-09 20:42:36)

Twitter: Beepner | Switch: SW-2320-6114-8445 | Pokémon GO: 5128 3209 0512

Board footer