Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-11 10:33:02

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Sockscast Episode 105

https://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/socksca … hp?a=ep105

ep_105.png
Download Episode

We're back and talkin' on dem videogames! This time around we got the end of Trails of Cold Steel III, Devil May Cry and Suikoden shenanigans, and can you believe Rhete actually hates AI: The Somnium Files?

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#2 2019-11-12 09:19:43

Psychic_Heist

Re: Sockscast Episode 105

Awwww yeah, that sweet dopamine rush I get from looking at this episodes art.

#3 2019-11-12 10:45:04

Psychic_Heist

I’ve been writing up some music stuff to post soon while listening to the podcast, and this one quickly goes to John. While it’s not entirely clear to me what you’re looking for in regards to something similar to the recent clipping album,  if you’re looking for more of the horror and dread that is prevalent in that albums atmosphere, and a ’I didn’t know’ music could sound like this feeling, than check out Swans “The Seer.”  It will make you shit your pants.

Th sound is completely different from clipping in the sense of genre, but the spirit of unsettling horror is similar and rampant throughout.  Warning, Swans records are known to be exhausting for some folks.

#4 2019-11-12 16:35:43

Ghosty
Spookmaker

On the topic of writing code in Assembly: Not too long ago, I saw a talk about GameBoy development, and naturally they used Assembly. They showed the canonical 'Hello World!'-program written in Python, which is one line, and then the same thing in Assembly for the GameBoy (is that a MIPS processor?) and it was two full slides of code! xD

It's amazing that we had videogames at all before 32-bit processors became common! It's still fun and interesting to hear about programming stuff though! I wish I could program, but all I can do is flail around blindly on the keyboard, making alllll the spaghetti code of doom. Which ultimately implodes.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
The hole is greater than it was a minute ago.
Wait, it's growing! Oh no! Run!!

#5 2019-11-12 17:06:51

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

All programmers flail blindly making spaghetti code that implodes at least some of the time I think! That's the core programmer experience, it definitely doesn't disqualify you from being one.

GameBoy is "Z80" assembly, unlike the NES/Atari which are 6502 assembly. I thought nobody actually used MIPS and that it was an academic thing mainly, but apparently the processors for the N64/PS1 were built off it? I'd need to research deeper.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#6 2019-11-12 17:15:27

Ghosty
Spookmaker

MIPS is a fairly common architecture in embedded stuff, if I'm not mistaken, along with ARM. MIPS tends to be really low power chips, though. I think ARM is what you meant to say when you were searching for that thing that's 'in phones'.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
The hole is greater than it was a minute ago.
Wait, it's growing! Oh no! Run!!

#7 2019-11-12 22:00:38

Beepner
Phil Collins Appreciator

Writing in Assembly sounds like RISCy business to me...

Board footer