Sliders 'n Socks

Back from the dead. Welcome home, my friend.

You are not logged in.

#101 2020-03-30 09:37:03

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Re: HEY YOU! PART TWO! WHATCHA PLAYIN'?

Thanks for jumping into that one! OneShot's been buzzing around the edges of my perception for ages with a few acquaintances shouting its praises every now and then, exciting to hear a close friend dive into it and have a great time!

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#102 2020-04-03 16:38:59

lieronet
Plays boring games

Half Life: Alyx is a worthy entry into the Half Life canon.

#103 2020-04-04 07:32:23

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

I was wondering.  I've seen people playing it but they never really follow through on opinions on it xD

You got a 25% at best at beat me.

#104 2020-04-21 10:12:50

Ghosty
Spookmaker

I just finished playing Grimm's Hollow.
It's short and cute and you should play it.

There's a content warning. Heed it. If you feel up to it, though... Please play the game. :s

(Edit: Oh, and it's free of charge!)

Last edited by Ghosty (2020-04-22 13:06:07)

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
The hole is greater than it was a minute ago.
Wait, it's growing! Oh no! Run!!

#105 2020-04-29 07:31:08

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Finished up Final Fantasy VII Remake.  I gotta say, for a game I TECHNICALLY played 23 years ago and a couple more times since then, I wasn't expecting to be shocked and awed in the ways that I was, but I have a huge amount of respect for what they did with this game.  Even more so, just the overall feeling of the writing and characterizations feeling so fresh and unbelievably on point. 

And on top of that while playing a Final Fantasy game and feeling challenged again was at times frustrating (due to some overall battle system and camera faults), it ultimately won me over.  There's a few niggling faults I have with the overall feel and the camera, but I feel like they really nailed most of the boss fights, especially the ones that comprise the game's climax. 

Just a fucking rock solid piece of work top to bottom.

#106 2020-05-23 19:06:02

Peaches the Rayven
Website

Polly wrote:

Played through OneShot.  I don't know HOW in the hell I didn't have eyes on this game sooner given that it does ALL THAT GOOD SHIT I love as it relates to interesting and cool meta shit.  Probably some of the coolest implementation of it if I'm being honest. But on top of that it just tells a REALLY good story that gets even better if you New Game+ and do the Solstice update stuff.  It's so good it's managing to squeak its way onto my Game of the Decade list at the expense of another title simply because I KNOW this would have been somewhere on a Game of the Year list if I'd played it during that decade.

Finished this one the other day, myself. Oh my, my did it hit me in the feels. Love a good puzzle-solving adventure game but yes this did so much, not just in the meta puzzles but how they came together to form the story. The game of course has to end as all things do but I really wish I could play it over and over again, it was so beautiful.

Now I'm on Thimbleweed Park, really wish I had played this earlier - it would have seriously been a contender for my Point-and-Click remake spot in GotD (and yes Rhete, I'm totally counting Day of the Tentacle in that, hope you did too!) It is a little weak here and there... some places seem like there was missing voiced dialog that was skipped and handled with text, and while I love the mechanic of having multiple playable characters it seems like they're not always necessary. But these are nit picks, I love the wit and humor of the game and the puzzles are a nice mix of logical and moon logical (though not obtuse, thus far).

#107 2020-05-24 17:21:22

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Peaches the Rayven wrote:

Finished this one the other day, myself. Oh my, my did it hit me in the feels. Love a good puzzle-solving adventure game but yes this did so much, not just in the meta puzzles but how they came together to form the story. The game of course has to end as all things do but I really wish I could play it over and over again, it was so beautiful.

Oh awesome. I'm glad it landed for you smile

#108 2020-07-14 15:12:42

Ghosty
Spookmaker

Been slowly working my way through Night In the Woods. It's just sort of a romp-around-n-talk sort of game, character driven story type thing. Basically, it's great! ... But it also makes you feel bad. I like it a whole lot!

I also poked at another Finji game called Overland, which I hadn't heard of before (I got it through a bundle), but I don't know why, because it's a great little game!! I think the devs called it "a post-apocalyptic road-trip" and that sums it up nicely. It's really giving me some Faster Than Light/Into The Breach-type vibes vith the gameplay! Not so much with the visuals or the tone though. (The tone is great.) But it's worth checking out!

The turn-based nature makes it feel puzzle-ey, but you never really beat the puzzles, rather you just try to come away in the best shape you can. It's another game on my list of "good games to play for when you feel too crap to play most games", next to FTL!

#109 2020-08-02 12:24:19

Ghosty
Spookmaker

I explored and battled my way through Last Word. It's supposed to be an argument battle thing, but the battle system is more like a puzzle where you have to create/transform resources you need to perform attacks... Er... Well sort of, it's hard to describe. It gets more strategic as you get more skills (skills are passive and activate at certain times). It's also story-focused.

It... Has issues, and could probably have used another round of polish, but somehow I had a real hard time putting it down.

#110 2020-09-13 16:55:19

Peaches the Rayven
Website

So I've been breaking in my new rig and not streaming because smoke. Super pumped to finally be able to play new games and join you all in the 21st century.

I think I talked about how much I'm digging the new XCOM: Chimera Squad, and even though it's about playing cops and I am not sure I'm %100 on board with taking the series in a new direction, there's a lot to love here. Giving the characters a D&D-style initiative order means that there's a lot more tactical decision-making going on, since you can't just keep one guy going last in case things go south - you might have a few baddies going next, before your team can take a second action! And the characters are super fun. I do agree with the decision to just make you reload or restart a round if someone dies - some other games I could mention could learn that nobody likes perma-death of named characters, especially if you can just save-scum and there's no incentive to push on without them.

Also loving AI: Somnium Files. I thought I'd give Spike Chunsoft's latest visual novel a whirl, but I found myself intrigued with the surreal puzzles and the timing mechanic that means you can't just push on every thing you see until you stumble onto a solution (well, you could, but it would be kinda weaksauce). The protagonist, Date, is not very likable but he does make for a good anti-hero and it's a fun supporting cast as well.

Also also splurged on Fall Guys. I'm probably too nice to ever 'win' at this game but I like how the monetization isn't too obtrusive and the simple mechanic of 'here's a physics engine and an obstacle course' has become an instant classic. First 'battle royale' style game I've tried and I'm already pretty glad I did.

I blabbed about this on Twitter but I'm also getting into the PC port of Phoenix Wright, a series I skipped on since my Switch is the only Nintendo I've had since a Game Boy Color. All I can say so far is that everything people have said about it before still holds up, I'm sure others have said it before and better than I can but it is fun and has aged surprisingly well, avoiding the pitfalls of 'it's been copied so many times it doesn't feel original anymore'.

And... Warframe. Saw some buddies playing this. It's a fun action game I guess. I tend to avoid MMORPGs as a rule and I don't see myself sticking with this one, it's fun enough but the only game like that I kind of enjoyed was Borderlands 2, and that's maybe because the waves and waves of baddies kind of made sense and there was some dumb fun to loosen it up a bit. I think this entry, though, is just trying to get me baited and I don't like it.

If anyone wants to race me while avoiding giant fruit, you probably already have my Steam.

Hugs!

#111 2020-10-04 16:35:31

Ghosty
Spookmaker

Fall Guys seems fun and silly in the way Mario Party is silly but more... Chaotic with so many people playing all at once. Can you do any kind of local play with that, like having two players on the same rig?

I have to play them Somnium Files at some point.

Since I've been home sick for what feels like the longest time, I've had time to poke my way throught a whole slew of games, I just hope I can remember them all...!

I was playing a game called Double Cross, and initially I really liked it. I could compare it to the Megaman Zero games on the GBA, with a setting and story that feels more morning cartoon-like somehow. Like the Megaman Zero games, you can choose in which order you do your missions—sort of. They come in groups and you have to clear the first group of missions to unlock the next group.

As it happens, when I got to what for me was the last mission in the first bundle of missions, it ended up being a stage crammed with minigames you have to complete—but the machine I was running the game on gave me some slight lag off and on with this game (it's just a normal laptop, no gaming system), it was completely impossible for me to do any of the minigames involving the grapple beam, because timing is crucial. The grapple beam also seemed to increase my lag, so I got stuck unable to progress in the game. sad

Corrine Cross's Dead and Breakfast is another game. It's just a very simplistic resource management game, but the focus is really on the story and the actual gameplay ends up a bit 'in the background'. It's got a cute and simple art style and you spend most of the game going around talking to people. I'm going to avoid telling much of anything about the story. I liked this game a lot and it was just the thing for a somewhat crummy mood I was in and mostly bouncing off of games left and right. It's got some good vibes, and you'll beat it in an afternoon!

Kamiko feels like a 2D Zelda game boiled down to the barest basics and sped up, giving it a more arcadey feel. The art is real cute and pixel-y. You have three different characters to pick from and I initially went with Uzume, which uses a bow. It was fun at first, but the fact that you completely stop moving when firing arrows felt just a bit bad somehow and that started bothering me. I started over with Yamato—the one with the big sword—and had a much better time! The game's pretty short and it's fun overall, though most of the bosses are pretty much bullshit. It's got some speedrunning-type scoreboard to it when you beat it, for those that think that is fun. The developer is Skipmore, which is supposedly a company people have heard of, though I can't say I have before. It's an alright little game.

I also went and picked up a couple of games on Steam that were on sale, both by the same developer. A game called Islanders is one where you place down buildings onto islands in order to gain points. You have no units or resources to manage in this game, you just start out with a small set of buildings in your inventory that you place down. As you place buildings you get points based on proximity to things in the landscape, such as trees, monuments and other buildings. Certain buildings can only be put on certain terrain, like some can only be built on sand or on water. Once you get enough points you get a new set of buildings to place down, often you get to pick between two or three sets, but just as often you only get one handed to you.

Now the problem with this game is that because buildings can mean increased or decreased point gain for other buildings, in order to build optimally you really need to know from the start what other buildings you are going to get later­—which you DON'T. So what ends up happening is that you're just sort of fumbling around it the dark, and the game just ends up feeling frustrating. sad

The other game by the same developer is Superflight, which is really pretty sweet! It's a wingsuit simulator with simplistic graphics that have procedurally generated levels, and you get points by flying as close to terrain as possible. Flying through tight gaps/holes earns you even more! You'd think it would get boring quick, but I kept going "One more time!" for hours tryng to pull off difficult paths. It's hard to put down! The controls are sooomewhat difficult, but I could definitely feel myself improving. Use a gamepad with an analog stick!

I also played partway through John's Kikai. It's so stressful! ._.;
That was about the time I started bouncing off of games, probably from playing too many, though. I mean to finish it sometime soon.

The first game I started on, and the last one I finished (unless I'm forgetting anything) was Trails In the Sky the 3rd. It... Feels like Falcom pulled another Ys: Origin on me. At least it feels similarly structured to that game—which caught me off guard as I would have expected something more... More of the same, I guess? And me having expectations about videogames is also highly irregular for me, I had to do a double take. I'm not sure what I should feel about that, if anything. Maybe I just really liked that about the first two games more than I thought? Maybe I like these games more than I thought?

Anyway, the game really is about the inner workings about one character, and I wasn't sure I was feeling this game the entire time until the ending landed (and boy does it land) and then I finally felt like I finally understood the story. I still need to digest this game so I'm not going to say much else about it right now.

Iiiii think that's everything, guys!

PS: Oh, right. I also gave MidBoss a try. Found it boring. Not sure why I tried this game, since I usually don't like turn-based stats-obsessed games. But it was in my library from getting it in a bundle. hmm

Last edited by Ghosty (2020-10-04 16:43:41)

#112 2020-10-15 02:23:30

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is currently my jammy jam.  Deeply layered time travel story with an incredibly varied cast of characters, ridiculous plot developments almost every damn scene, and presentation that just screams "loved on" top to bottom.  This game's got so much character (and so MANY characters....13 of them in fact!) that it's just undeniably Vanillaware. The game is also 100% voiced with both the Japanese and English voice acting really nailing it non-stop. Haven't finished it yet, but with the way the final threads seem to be tying together, I'm REALLY rooting for it to stick the landing. 

The tower defense strategy RPG type combat can be a little hit or miss, but isn't too hard to engage with, and can be made a COMPLETE non factor with Casual mode if you so desire.  The split is about 70% story, 30% combat, so I never really feel like the combat ever outstays its welcome, and I found myself turning the difficulty up to Intense from Normal near the end of the first area because I was enjoying it enough.  It's also got its own bit of spectacle as well, though the presentation is completely at odds with the visuals and presentation of the story mode portions of the game. 

This game's just a real interesting and impressive piece of work and I can only hope its final few hours don't let me down.

#113 2020-10-27 14:13:35

Psychic_Heist

I did something I haven’t done in a long time.  I purchased a video game solely on the strength of listening to its soundtrack first.  That video game is “Hades.”

This game feels tailored made for me.  A rouge-like dungeon crawler steeped in Greek Mythology with gorgeous artwork and a kick ass metal influenced soundtrack?  My heart is just swooning from typing about it.

I know I’ve only played a few hours and in the ‘honeymoon’ period, but y’all should know, I AM IN LOVE with this one.

#114 2020-10-28 01:14:46

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

Hades feels like the critical and word-of-mouth darling of the year.  I've seen pretty universal praise for it.

#115 2020-10-28 11:39:36

Psychic_Heist

Polly wrote:

Hades feels like the critical and word-of-mouth darling of the year.  I've seen pretty universal praise for it.

I can see why.  It’s a very focused, polished, and well put together project.  In my experience so far, it feels really good to play (though only weapon I’ve been a little ‘eh’ about is the shield, which ironically with a few build upgrades has been the weapon to take me the farthest in my runs) and I’m in this current joy of discovering ‘oh you put this with this and golly that’s really neat and powerful.’

I already mentioned that I like the soundtrack an awful lot.

I love the characters in this game.  Every single one I have met so far is unique and diverse and endearing.  The voice work is top tier.  Like maybe the best I’ve heard not just in a video game, but from any other media.  I’m also really into how the game weaves in its plot.   

The only nitpick I can come up with so far is that the first area of the game seems a couple rooms too long, but I’m having so much fun it’s not really an issue (and it affords you to gain more stuff anyway).

I haven’t played any other games from Supergiant, but if they’re anywhere near this quality, I’ll have to check those out sometime down the line.  I do feel a little self-conscious that maybe I’m praising “Hades” a little too much, so please keep in mind that this is being written from a currently puppy love perspective who claimed “THIS IS NOW MY FAVORITE VIDEO GAME EVER!” last night from sheer joy and excitement.

#116 2020-10-28 14:53:45

Ghosty
Spookmaker

I wanted to get some kind of deckbuilding cardgame because I have this craving, and I've found a couple of games that fit the bill that I mean to get—but they're a bit expensive so I've been waiting, hoping, that they would go on sale soon. They haven't.

So I was browsing around looking at games, and then Slay the Spire came up. I've looked at it before, didn't spark any interest then; But I figured, I may as well look at a Let's Play again just in case. But this time I was getting it! It was half off on Steam so I snagged it and I've been playing it kind of a lot. Wiped the floor with the game using The Silent and my card draw-builds, but getting absolutely murdered with any other character. ._.;

Been trying to get better with The Steelclad and The Watcher, bit it's still a struggle to get any farther than The City.

Hades looks cool, but I feel like I've already got some action-ey Rogue-lites so I've thought maybe it isn't really different enough from the games I already have. I've played Bastion a little bit, but it didn't really click with me somehow. Oddly, I feel a bit interested in Pyre though, which seems like the Supergiant game that I don't hear anything much about. But it's like occult basketball and for some reason that sounds like a good thing in my head! I tried to watch someone play it, but they didn't really get that it was a basketball game and that you have to pass the ball! >:[

#117 2020-11-03 16:35:22

Psychic_Heist

Ghosty wrote:

Hades looks cool, but I feel like I've already got some action-ey Rogue-lites so I've thought maybe it isn't really different enough from the games I already have.

What makes me a little timid talking about “Hades” is just that.  For those of you who have already invested a lot of time in the actiony rouge-lite genre, I really don’t know how this would stack up for you or if its a fresh enough take.  My own history with the genre is casual investments in “Enter the Gungeon” and “Binding of Isaac.” For a second, I got a kick out of “Gungeon,” but I could never get comfortable with its controls (maybe it plays better on PC) and its aiming.  And I don’t know if this will make sense, but “Gungeon” felt just a little too impenetrable enough times that I played, that I just kinda gave up.

I love “Isaac,” I just need to play more “Isaac.”

Ghosty wrote:

Oddly, I feel a bit interested in Pyre though, which seems like the Supergiant game that I don't hear anything much about. But it's like occult basketball and for some reason that sounds like a good thing in my head!

The Occult? Basketball? I hold both in such high esteem.  To bring these godly forces together is something I must experience.  How have I been sleeping on Supergiant Games for so long?

#118 2020-11-04 09:12:06

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

I love that Supergiant exists and are seemingly still able to make exactly the things they wanna make.  I kinda fell off after Transistor landed with a resounding thud for me (but I'm honestly willing to give it another shot 8 years after the fact).  I have PYRE and Ghosty's done a good job of talking up Slay the Spire to me privately for sure.  Hades is DEFINITELY on the menu at some point.

#119 2020-11-07 16:47:52

Ghosty
Spookmaker

Other than some more Slay The Spire, I devoured Grapple Force Rena rather quickly!

It's not a really long game, but it's still something like 30 stages! I just wouldn't put it down! It's a really cute and nice platformer!
The titular character has a grapple beam, and bedsides jumping and throwing that's all there is to it! And a story of sorts. Nothing mind-blowing, but it's nice. Just good feels all around!

Last edited by Ghosty (2020-11-07 19:07:03)

#120 2020-12-01 16:28:08

Ghosty
Spookmaker

So I finally picked up Into the Breach the other day! Somehow I didn't feel particularly keen on it when it first came out a couple of years ago, not entirely sure why, maybe I'm just sceptical of turn-based games? ...But I'm loving it!

It gave me a bit of a hard time the first day or two that I tried it, 'cause while I had a good experience with the starting squad, I had a really hard time with basically all the ones I unlocked, it was just hard to... Figure out how to use them effectively while not shooting myself in the foot mid-battle. It was mildly frustrating! But I turned the difficulty down to Easy after a few runs, tried some randomised squads, and went back to trying some of the other squads with new pilots to throw in them—and somehow I did a whole lot better! It started to click, at least with a few of them, and I realised I was getting better at the game!

Here's where I want to start comparing this game to FTL, because I got better in a way that's specifically different to how I improved at FTL. See, in FTL, getting better largely boiled down to getting a feel for the tradeoffs of your weapons, systems etc. versus the ship you started with, figuring out what combinations of weapons/drones/systems/crew are effective at getting damage in on your enemy. Learning the final boss' different stages and learning to plan your loadout choices to deal with the things the final boss will throw at you. Learning the potential hazards in the game and how to reduce the odds of them happening or ways to reduce their impact if they do. The rest was always a large dose of chance.

Now in Into the Breach, there's an element of chance, but compared to FTL, that element feels smaller. And a lot of the imrovement in my games that I'm seeing is from getting better at reading the game and becoming familiar with the mechs and how you can use your moves in ways that initially would never occur to you, to solve the problems that appear on the game board. (Like shooting your own unit to push it away so that now it can reach that Vek it couldn't before.) Because this game does feel more like a board game like Chess or the like, even if your bonus objectives change and there are randomised elements like what exact spot that Vek is going to spawn, or a stage hazard is going to strike. But the effect is that I can feel myself improving in a more tangible way than I could in FTL, and that feels really good!

I do have one little niggling concern that perhaps the webbing gets excessive on higher difficulties though? It's only a suspicion at this point, but I felt like that was something that sometimes happened on Normal.

Also I'm REALLY loving the soundtrack! FTL had a great soundtrack and Into the Breach has a lot of the same vibes, synth sounds, that dry-sounding reverb—but is warmed up a bit by having a bit less synth sounds and a bit more focus on guitars and cello. But it also has a lot of little references and callbacks to the FTL soundrack baked in there and even a couple of straight up remixes. I love the super simple little rythmic single-note riffs, all the layers and the distinct absence of a bass drum. Makes me want to make some tunes!

I wanted to say that I watched some Let's Play of Hades a while back, and I'm inclined to agee with PH on it having a great soundtrack too! That game seems... Interesting. I'm not entriely sure I wrapped my head around how the upgrades work, but I get the impression that more stuff you do carries over from previous runs than some other Roguelites? Also the voiceovers are stellar! yikes

#121 2020-12-17 10:38:20

Psychic_Heist

MORE HADES TALK: And then I promise to do something else.

So having played pretty much nothing else but "Hades" in the last month and some, I feel like I’ve pretty much ‘broken in’ the game like a pair of new boots.  I’m comfortable and cozy with the title, and it’s provided an excellent outlet to escape the stresses of this fucking year.  Puppy love phase be damned, I can say it’s one of my absolute favorite video gaming experiences.  This doesn’t happen too often from the new titles that get hyped and critically beloved, like this one, but I find myself standing strong with the praise.

That being said, the more time I spend with the game, the more you see the cracks in the picture.  I think the obvious criticism here would have to be the boss battles – they are all distinct and have their thrills – it’s just when the ‘newness’ of each encounter wears off and you can wrap your head around the fight, run after run, a part of your brain begins wanting something else.  You do end up getting variations of these fights – but it just doesn’t quite match the excitement of a totally new encounter.  Keep in mind, I am not even close to a 100% with "Hades", so I’m sure there are some surprises in store … but I feel like since these are the bread and butter boss fights of the game, I can see others wanting some more new stuff because what we get is so excellent.

(This extends a little bit to the level layouts themselves.  Though I haven’t played “The Binding of Isaac” extensively, I do get the gut impression it is the better game in shaking things up the deeper you get into it.)

Ghosty wrote:

I'm not entriely sure I wrapped my head around how the upgrades work, but I get the impression that more stuff you do carries over from previous runs than some other Roguelites? Also the voiceovers are stellar! yikes

Yes, there are specific upgrades you get to carry with you and keep when you unlock them and invest in them.  This also extends to the weapons, and to whatever accessory you wish to take with you for each floor.  But "Boons" -- powers granted by the gods -- are always random and reset from scratch at the beginning of each run, which a lot of this games fun is mixing and matching each of the various powers of the gods.

Also, the quality of the VO enters into that special level of being instantly iconic, in the way that say the first ‘MGS’ was the first time you played it.

Other than "Hades," I bought "Ori and the Blind Forest" on sale the other day.  It's very pretty.  It made me cry within its opening 10 minutes.  Nothing much else to report other than that as of now.

#122 2021-01-03 10:54:49

Ghosty
Spookmaker

I picked up Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun about a month ago, it was 85% off. It's quite steep ordinarily, and for the longest time there were no sales either. I wasn't really sure I was interested in this game anymore, but I mean... 85% off and I was bored!

I've never played this style of game before, but it reminded me of Fallout: Tactics which is a game I've at least seen played, cause I knew someone that had it way back in the day. So it's basically a team-based stealth game. With ninjas! (Technically one or two, depending on how you define the word.) Also, the specs for this game are kind steep, my poor compy with a 2GB graphics card can barely handle it okay at lowest graphics settings (at lowest resolution). I can't really see why, other than it being a Unity game.

The English voiceovers have this sort of martial arts movie dub "Asian accent", which might work for some—I think it's not the worst bad idea—but also... It kind of doesn't work for me. hmm So I tested the Japanese voiceovers and... I can't say I was feeling much better about those (I blame the narrator)—until I got farther into the game and noticed that the characterisations felt quite different from the English version (to me, in a good way) which eventually sold me on that version.

Anyway! Gameplay-wise It was alright for the first three missions or so, I was having fun. Then as the game got tougher, I really started struggling and it took me longer and longer to complete the missions and I wasn't having as much fun. But I kept coming back to it 'cause it was a time sink and well... It was fun when things went a bit better (usually when I was less tired)!

Then, towards the end of the game it finally clicked in my head that this is a team-based game, and almost any situation can be solved by throwing more characters at the problem! (In a planned and coordinated way, of course.) Suddenly I was having a lot more fun again!

So while I was... Decidedly unsure and not too exited about this game, I've come to like it a good bit! It's a tight game! The story is actually pretty good! I still wouldn't have paid the full price for it though. (I mean... I never ever pay that much for games anymore. That's just me. Not to discredit the game.) So if you see it discounted a lot, give it some consideration! It's a good game!

PS:
I should probably add that it gets pretty gritty in its portrayal of war such. Not pretty. Just a heads up. hmm

Last edited by Ghosty (2021-01-05 17:37:18)

#123 2021-01-03 13:37:05

Polly
Moon Pie Advocate
Website

I finally got around to Super Crush K.O. last week and man oh man, talk about a pleasant little surprise.  Just a fun as heck side scrolling punch em up with a fun aesthetic and story and gameplay that just has the right amount of oomph behind it.  All the attacks just feel so good and it's effortless to string long combos together, bouncing from enemy-to-enemy in every encounter.  It's over and done in about 2.5 hours and a bit more if you wanna push for achievements and S+ ranks on stages. 

Also putting the finishing touches on retro throwback FPS DUSK.  This game always felt like my jam, but thanks to a generous Crimmis gifter, I was able to give it a spin and I am loving it.  It's exactly what it says on the tin, a retro-styled throwback that takes its inspiration from games like Quake 1 and Blood, but pulls through with its own identity with its demon-possessed sense of place and supremely on-point, succinct, and super clever map design.  While the enemy and weapon design may leave a bit to be desired, the levels, atmosphere, and encounters are keeping this thing going.  It's so easy to pick up and put down in one to two level bursts. 

I also played a demo for UnMetal, which you can find over here on Steam.  If you're into doofy comedy and some really fun spoofing of a popular franchise, here's your ticket.  And while Metal Gear Solid experience does enhance this experience, it's not required as much of the humor would still land without it.  This one's definitely on my highly-anticipated list for release this year.

#124 2021-01-06 18:23:50

John
Lightning Edgeboy
Website

Heehee, I'm glad Dusk treated you right!! I wanna get into those sorts of games in earnest at some point, I played through Doom and Quake exactly once and haven't touched any since.

"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to die... I must simply laugh!!"
-Magus

#125 2021-01-12 18:24:46

Psychic_Heist

Busy, busy, busy ...

After an initial strong opening with "Ori and the Blind Forest," I have since really struggled to get into it.  It's missing something. And I'm unfortunately filled with enough apathy to not really investigate what that is and am dropping the game for now. I'll point out that on the most recent episode of the Sockscast it sounds like Rhett didn't
care too much for it, but is feeling the sequel ... so maybe if cits sequel turns out special and Rhett speaks well of it, I'll look back into the first game to get me ready for the second.

I purchased "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" for my family, and dipped my toes into it.  My daughter asked if there was a jump button, and I said no, and she responded "I hate this game!" There ya go folks. As for my own impression, I don't know, it's fucking Animal Crossing.  It is pleasant and nice way to unwind, but since we are currently in winter, there doesn't seem much to do on this small sectioned off area of the island?  Does the main player have to be the one start doing tasks to unlock more of the island or something?  If so, that's ... a drag.  I want to find a game that I can unwind with, but maybe with a little more teeth to it's story and presentation so I think down the road I'm going to check out "Spiritfarer" over this.

Undertale update (now playing on Switch): My kids and I completed the first run of the game (turns out you have to regardless if you don't kill anyone), and are about to start the pacifist run. Finally.

I stumbled upon "Danganronpa 1.2 Reload" on sale and freaked out, because I've been wanting to play it for ages.  So I have officially started "Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc," and on my first 'court trial.'  I think I'm going to love this one, the game already has me in the palm of its hand.

And of course in the background there are runs of "Hades" happening.  I enjoyed hearing Rhett's assessment of it, and it does sound like a bit of a shame that the conditions to meet for the truest ending are too much -- but I find enough satisfying moments with the game still make it worth my time.

Finally, and I haven't played it much, but I was wanting a new fighting game to play, and I got to one I have heard about since the Dreamcast days but could never find it, "The Last Blade 2." WOW, is this game PRETTY.  I am pretty floored by it.  Hope to have more to elaborate on next time.

Board footer